Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DC Cinematic Universe Movie • Page 23

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Dirty Sanchez and lightning13 like this.
  2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm one of many people who have said forever that Watchmen would be better served on HBO than as a film, so this makes me very happy. Hopefully they get right everything that Snyder got wrong about the tone. Wonder how long it'll run. Think they'll do an episode per issue or format it differently?

4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

i am excited for this :)

5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Watchmen TV series? Yes please

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Snyder's version had merits, though it was deeply flawed in a lot of respects. Not a huge Lindelof fan.

7. Nathan

Oh I forgot Lindelof is coming off the Leftovers. I need to get further into that show but I liked what I saw. The Prometheus/Tomorrowland/Star Treks/Cowboys & Aliens credits are always what comes to mind for me first.

8. drewinseries

Drew

I hope they dont follow issue per episode or whatever format. Snyder's version was way to cut from the comic that I'd let someone do something else in terms of presentation.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Lord & Miller might end up involved on the Flash since Han Solo didn't work out.

thedrudo and Davjs like this.
  10. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

That would be the smartest thing.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. Tim

coleslawed and Nathan like this.
  13. Ya that sentiment goes against the prospect of potentially hiring Lord and Miller to do Flash:-/

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was gonna part it there but that thread has been all over the place. Lol

Tim likes this.
  15. Nathan

fart noise

yeah a small sliver of directors actually ever get final cut, so that's a weird distinction to draw, especially because there's quite a bit of overlap with the a-list, proven box office giants the article says they'd be willing to work with, but clearly DC is reigning it in when their initial decision to let Nolan be Nolan netted them incredible gains (and I'd argue that Sony letting Raimi be Raimi on SM/SM2 made them the perfect comic book adaptations/commercial giants they were, and interfering with Raimi shat out SM3, but I know your stance on any Spider-Man movie with Tobey Maguire in it lol). I get wanting to be safe (honestly moreso if you're DC/Warner Bros and things haven't been working, rather than if you're Marvel/Lucasfilm and your floor is low no matter what you do). But I hate the mindset a lot.

At this point I'm totally swinging to the other end of the spectrum where I only want weird auteurs to make superhero movies. Paul Verhoeven Batman. Richard Linklater Flash. Kelly Reichardt Batwoman. Alankrita Shrivastava Ms. Marvel. Jim Jarmusch solo Star-Lord. The Wachowski sisters on Teen Titans. Terrence Malick Superman. Fuck it.

coleslawed and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  16. Tim

Worst part of your post: Praise for films that starred Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man.

Best part of your post: Suggesting that Terrence Malick direct a Superman film. (And that Ms Marvel get a film in general, though I'm not familiar with that director.)

But, seriously, more weird and risky comic book films would be wonderful. I'm on record as being a big MCU fan (outside of their abysmal track record on diversity both in front of and behind the camera), and I haven't changed my mind about really enjoying Kevin Feige's creative vision for a shared universe of blockbusters; however, I'm also the only person who was hyped at the prospect of a separate Venom film before Tom Hardy was cast as Eddie Brock because I also want films outside of that vision. Get someone really out there to just go wild on Superman, Fantastic Four, Wolverine, Vision & the Scarlet Witch, every Spider-title ever, etc. My favorite thing about the comic book medium is that literally anything can happen, and I'd love to see that in the films that adapt these properties.

awakeohsleeper, coleslawed and Nathan like this.
  17. Tim

Like, the Wachowskis letting loose on a Fantastic Four/Future Foundation film would be the absolute best, lol. As would Ava DuVernay on Superman. Lexi Alexander on Wolverine.

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The Wach's doing Impossible Man would be nuts.

Tim likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jun 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 22, 2017)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Have every superhero movie be directed by Sofia Coppola to make up for her Little Mermaid falling through, Elle Fanning playing a superhero would be extremely my shit

coleslawed and Henry like this.
  20. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I've always been of the mind the DC should have just made individual movies without regard to a shared universe. Just make the best Superman movie you can make. Someone pitches you a great Justice League movie? Make that.

Trying to mimic Marvel was never gonna work, imo. This idea that movie goers will ONLY accept a shared universe is a little short sighted.

21. Tim

Wasn't George Miller's Justice League film gonna coexist alongside, yet separate from, the Nolan films? Studios should be more willing to have multiple iterations of their biggest characters simultaneously, like how it sometimes happens in the comics.

younglikeme and scottlechowicz like this.
  22. drewinseries

Drew

It would be way harder to get a JL movie with unrelated origin movies without extensive contracts I imagine. If you have contracts expanding into a multi-cast film, you're essentially creating a universe. DC has way better content and material to work with than Marvel anyway, execution just needs to be better.

Just because it is a shared universe does not mean each film needs to be shared. In fact, WW is a perfect example of how little it needs to show how it connects for it to connect.

That said, it doesn't mean that films need to lose an identity for the sake of a shared universe, which they seemed to have had with Marvel.

BvS had it faults, but I respect it for trying something a little different from what we have seen so far and I hope it continues with a Hitchcockian Batman.

23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Yeah. It is a shame it never materialized. (Although the script was problematic in its own right, I would have loved to have seen it).

But I agree. I have never been sold on the "audiences will be confused" argument.

Tim likes this.
  24. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

My proposal would be to just cast different actors. The actor appropriate for a Brad Bird version of Superman: For All Seasons is not the actor best suited for The Wachowski's All-Star Superman, ya know?

The idea that Superman should only be played by one man until that actor decides to stop being Superman is silly.

Let's see different takes on the character, depending on what story is being told.

Tim likes this.
  25. Tim

I feel like a lot of DC's best material is out of continuity anyways (though I've always been more of a Marvel guy, lol, so that might affect that). New Frontier, All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come... I don't know how adapt-able those are, but they're all fantastic concepts that could at least be used as a starting point for great films.

Though, Marvel/Sony/Fox could also benefit from some of that. Like, a well done film inspired by Spider-Man: Blue would immediately and forever be my favorite thing ever.