Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DC Animated Universe • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by younglikeme, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Davjs

Trusted

I'll have to see if for context, but what is wrong with the scene if it was consensual? Esp if this is done by Bruce Timm who made the animated series where they touched on it in Batman TAS and Batman Beyond. It's not an old idea, isn't that what drove Nightwing away?

2. Davjs

Trusted

I loved both of those, WW is probably my top with Red Hood slightly behind. The only ones I haven't liked is All Star Sups, Batman Year One and Son of Batman.

3. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

That pairing is really wholly Bruce Timm's idea and his writing in TAS which is just DCAU/Timmiverse cannon.

As for the scene it's just really bad depiction of Batman because of the psuedo-incest and the fact that Bruce would have sex with pretty much his best friend's daughter is mind boggling and bad writing.

Other than that, the scene and plot as a whole does nothing to correct the original issues of The Killing Joke and only reinforces her role as a plot point, taking away her agency even further and tying her importance as character to the motivations of other male characters.

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I didn't like the Flashpoint animation style and slowly lost interest from there. I can watch Bad Blood for Batwoman but don't consider it good.

The best was New Frontier, followed by Wonder Woman. I also remember liking Under the Red Hood a lot, but that was years ago.

5. Davjs

Trusted

That's a bummer. I like that it adds flaws to Bruce's character, but don't like that it doesn't apparently add anything to Barbs. I think it could cause some decent story drama if Gordon or Dick found out. That seems like a CW move though.

6. Davjs

Trusted

I agree on Bad Blood, I forgot about it. I'll add that to my bad list too.

7. St. Nate

I'm not too fond of the voice over for Damien Wayne.

8. Davjs

Trusted

I hate it. I put up with it for Batman vs Robin because that was a good movie. The Teen Titans was pretty nice too, but sorta forgettable.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm not fond of most of the voice acting over the last five years or so. Some really spotty stuff.

Davjs likes this.
  10. St. Nate

Agreed, which is startling considering Andrea Romano's great cast and voice direction.

11. Davjs

Trusted

They should bring back the voice cast from the animated series. It was the best part of Doom, even if the movie overall wasn't very good. If they stuck that that voice cast and animation style (Young Justice style) I'd be super happy.

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

it's also batman grooming a child he helped bring up from a young age.

13. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

What does "grooming" mean in this context?

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Was going to see The Killing Joke at 10pm tonight, but now not so sure

15. The animation actually didn't bother me like I thought it would, but The Killing Joke was disappointing.

16. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Interesting to see this getting such poor reviews. Kinda turning me off from seeing it. Even the usual creeps on Reddit are giving this movie bad reviews.

DC has to be somewhat shocked at fan reaction

17. As divisive as it is, I really like the original graphic novel. With this, they had the perfect opportunity to update the story and fix the worst aspect of the source material. The entire first act of the movie is dedicated to Barbara Gordon, which sounds great at first, but it does nothing to strengthen her character and instead diminishes it with a bizarre romance. The rest of the movie follows the source material pretty meticulously, which I thought would be pleasing, but it ended up feeling stale. I guess the Barbara stuff just soured my enjoyment of the rest of it.

18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

i haven't watched any of the DC animated stuff at all. where do i begin? D: sorry haha

19. All the recent New 52 continuity ones started with Justice League: War, I believe. JL: Flashpoint Paradox came out before it and isn't connected (I don't think?), but I recommend that one just because it's one of my favorites.

lightning13 likes this.
  20. St. Nate

By "at all" do you just mean the movies or also the animated series/justice league stuff?

21. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Both! I haven't seen any movies or TV series

22. St. Nate

Batman TAS is a classic!

They also made a pretty good Wonder Woman movie. I think you'd be into that.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  23. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

@lightning13 Young Justice is fantastic, maybe my favorite DC animated product. The Wonder Woman movie from a few years ago is solid. Justice League Unlimited is solid. I really love the Batman and Superman animated series but I'm not sure how readily available they are.

lightning13 likes this.
  24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Oh and I grew up with and enjoyed the Cartoon Network Teen Titans.

Raku likes this.
  25. St. Nate

Batman and Superman TAS are both available for Amazon Prime members!

Nathan likes this.