Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DC Animated Universe • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by younglikeme, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Davjs

Trusted

I'm soooo excited for JL Action. About time we have another JL series. The number of deep cut characters I counted during the trailer is ridiculous, I love it!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

Poor Ben McKenzie, his name is on two terrible Batman products.

3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I enjoy both a lot!

coleslawed, Davjs and Joe like this.
  4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Um... They made Bruce and Barbara romantic partners in the new Killing Joke? That's one of the most baffling and wrongheaded decisions I've seen DC take, and their animated stuff is usually really great.

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

You can't be serious...

6. Nathan

About what they did, or about thinking it's wrong?

7. Tim

About what they did. Batgirl is my favorite DC character, so I have many much feelings.

Nathan likes this.
  8. Nathan

Yeah there are about 281948371 reasons why it's just a horrible, horrible choice. It has incest-y vibes given the dynamics of the Batfamily, it messes with the character motivations and dynamics of the Killing Joke, it makes one of DC's best female characters a love interest in addition to already being damsaled in the original story, it just screams wrongheadedness on every level.

Tim likes this.
  9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

10. Tim

My gosh, how could this get worse!? How did they make this worse!?

They literally took a character who has been defined since day one by her desire to take her life into her own hands for a greater good in spite of what men tell her to do... And, they defecated all over that. They abused the concept of Batgirl just like Joker did to Barbara in the original comic.

They COULD have redeemed this terrible, overrated story. If they had included Batgirl's proper origin at the beginning, taken time away from Bruce and Jim to have her deal with the impact in the middle, and then had her as either Oracle or Batgirl of Burnside at the end, all with a woman handling the rewrites, this could have been worth watching. Having Batman crack at the end while Barbara rises above could have been especially powerful. My preference is still for the story to just go away, but that could have been an adequate way of reclaiming it.

Instead. This. Whatever. I'm just gonna retire from talking about The Killing Joke. It's constantly finding new ways to frustrate me.

Shakriel, Nathan and Henry like this.
  11. chris

Trusted Supporter

The whole creative decision around this is so bizarre to me. DC really outdid themselves in finding a way to somehow give Barb even less agency :eyeroll:

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Ughhh... one of the faults of Bruce Timm is that he's always been a Batman/Girl shipper.

14. Killing Joke sucked. Waste of a watch/time. Wish we could get HUSH or Long Halloweeen instead of the shitty "classics". Oh well.

Time for Star Trek.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Loved S1 excited for this. Wish CW Seed would pick up more Play It Again, Dick

16. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

it's amazing that they somehow made killing joke worse towards women. that takes effort.

fluxyjoe and Tim like this.
  17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

thankfully they're letting bruce timm make a batman/harley quinn film next year wait that's a horrible idea, they'll fuck too

Raku likes this.
  18. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Yup, I can remember as far back as The old B:TAS movies where they were suddenly in a relationship, and even as young as I was then I remember being like wtf, what is happening why not Robin/Nightwing? I think it was even referenced on Batman Beyond. Schwayyyy.

19. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

oh god they're doing the judas contract. this is going to be shockingly awful. might as well add in grooming and rape to the list of horrible things done to women in the DCAU.

20. Tim

I think I'm officially done with DC animation for the most part. I haven't loved anything in a while, and this Killing Joke debacle is ridiculous.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

What if Young Justice comes back?

22. Tim

I guess that could be exception to the rule. Hence "for the most part." But macro scale, my already diminishing interest has settled into pretty thorough disregard.

23. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I think the best one I've seen is Flashpoint

24. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Flashpoint was the last really good one.

I'm also quite fond of the Wonder Woman movie. It has some good memorable funny moments.

ChaseTx and Davjs like this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I haven't really disliked any of them. That will surely change with what is on the docket, but we'll see.