Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DC Animated Universe • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by younglikeme, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Davjs

Trusted

Yep!

2. Teen Titans: The Judas Contract is out today. I'll try to watch it this week sometime.

Raku likes this.
  3. Davjs

Trusted

I had no idea it was out already, I hope it's good! The animated films seem to be hit or miss every other movie.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

Does the Batman and Harley Quinn movie sound kind of strange to anyone else?

5. manoverboard365

Trusted

I was excited about it at first, but then I watched this yesterday and I'm kinda 'meh' on it.

Davjs likes this.
  6. Davjs

Trusted

I do dig the through back to the animated series look, but why no Tera Strong as Harley?

Raku likes this.
  7. Hmm, not sure what to think of that Harley Quinn movie. Could go either way for me.

Raku likes this.
  8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Without the limitations of kids' television standards, Bruce Timm is an old perv, which comes out the most with Harley Quinn.

I loved BTAS and love Poison Ivy, so this could end up being really good. Hurray for a lighter tone and Kevin Conroy. However, I just can't get fully behind this just yet.

9. Davjs

Trusted

I guess I'm out of the loop, what makes you say that?

10. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Nothing in particular, just general knowledge of his work. He's a skilled artist, and a lot of artists I love aren't any less into the erotic than he is. (And I also don't want to make it seem like I'm dismissing erotica as a genre.) Something about his work just feels grosser to me. Like, I own the Batman: Harley and Ivy hardcover, and there's some fantastic illustration in there, but some of it has a vibe that I really don't appreciate.

Doesn't help that he was a producer on that Killing Joke animated film, which took an already gross story and somehow made it worse with the Batgirl prelude. I don't know how much of that was Timm and how much was Brian Azzarello, but it furthered my distrust of his view of women.

11. BackyardHero11

Trusted

yeah, a lot of the times the misses for me are the ones they try to force into their DCAU continuity. I would much rather they just pick stories to adapt and do that rather that mixing stories and forcing a continuity that only butchers the story. I really hope Judas Contract is good because i've been waiting years for that adaptation, knowing that it was planned off of the old cartoon but then was cancelled. Already disappointed and a bit nervous that this is being forced into their DCAU rather than giving one of the most famous Teen Titans storylines a proper adaptation, but we'll see.

12. Raku

Regular

I'm not a fan of this new movie coming out... I'll probably still check it out, and enjoy it for what it is, but still...

As much as I enjoyed the BBT for what it is, I'm not sure about replacing Tara Strong as Harley Quinn (I'm even more confused by the hate her Harley is getting now because when I think of Harley, I think of her (In fact, I like her voice more than the original inception of the character)). Also, while I love(d) the Bruce Timm's DCAU growing up, I'm not sure how I feel about going back to that style (especially the fact that it's a side-story) kind of feels like a regression, but that's probably just me...

Speaking of DCAU, I especially loved Batman Beyond for not only how different (In a good way) Batman was (I'm honestly sick of Bruce Wayne being Batman), but I also loved how they (without delving into spoilers) expanded upon Bruce Wayne's family outside of Damien Wayne (Wish they would make that twist canon to comics, and future shows/movies (but I guess that depends on if we ever visit a Batman Beyond-type universe ever again)).

Again though, I'll be sure to check it out. I'm hoping that it will be better than the last Bruce Timm Batman movie because that one was a disappointment, especially with that 30 minute filler of Bruce and Barbara's "romantic" adventure =/

13. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

How is Tara being replaced? She's only voiced HQ in video games not in anything animated

14. Davjs

Trusted

You are right, for some reason I thought she took over in the animated stuff towards the end but it does look like only games, Lego movies and the new Justice League Action is she Harley.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I didn't realize she was in JL Action so I was slightly incorrect lol.

16. Davjs

Trusted

haha to be fair Harley hasn't been in any episodes yet, I just saw it in her credits so she will pop in at some point. Show is super good so far though if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. Davjs

Trusted

Alright, so I saw Judas Contract. I'll put my thoughts into spoilers Overall not a very good movie.

They did a good job at adapting the story though, all the major scenes are there really. Of course like BackYardHero11 said above, they had to adapt it to blend into the new DCAU which I think hurt it, but since that's what they had to do I think they fit in Damien Wayne pretty well and him and Deathstoke have some good back and forth since they have major history since Son of Batman.

Those positives being said, the dialog and story flow was so off and felt so forced. The animation was really wonky too, Dick Grayson looked so bad IMO, esp outside of his costume. They changed the ending quite a bit which took away from the emotion from Tera just being straight up bad and the Titans covering it up from the rest of the world.

Good for Kevin Smith, love the guy but his cameo was kinda weird lol. I guess he is cannon in the DC universe now.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  18. younglikeme and Raku like this.
  19. Davjs

Trusted

younglikeme and Raku like this.
  20. Raku

Regular

Bummed that we have to wait till 2018 to get the new season. I'm honestly hoping that we will get the new season on blu-ray, and that season three won't be the last =D

21. Davjs

Trusted

They should still do a home video release (easy money I'd think) but I bet it won't come out until long after the eps are out on their service.

Raku likes this.
  22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

younglikeme likes this.
  23. younglikeme

ii // YLM

Raku, Joe and Davjs like this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

Agreed. I would honestly love for them to stop being so reactionary and just do their own thing.

younglikeme likes this.
  25. younglikeme

ii // YLM

Absolutely, forget everything Marvel is doing & just exist in your own universe (see what I did there? :teethsmile:)

Davjs likes this.