Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dawes Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Dawes is an alternative-country rock band formed in Los Angeles, California in 2009. The band's current line-up is vocalist/guitarist Taylor Goldsmith, guitarist Duane Betts, bassist Wylie Gelber, and drummer Griffin Goldsmith. The band has released four full-length albums and are currently working on album #5.

2. Meerkat

Can't believe I missed their keyboardist leaving in 2015 and Duane Betts becoming a full time member instead of just a touring member. Interesting. Also, have some great songs:

3. They put on a really great show last year. Closing with "All Your Favorite Bands" was really neat.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

They are apparently:

1) "Finishing up another record."
    2) Working with Blake Mills as producer.

iplaydrums likes this.
  5. Meerkat

He produced Sound & Color which makes me even more excited about it

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

I figured you'd be psyched about that.

7. Meerkat

Yeah hearing the vibe he helped foster on that record makes me very hopeful LP5 is going to continue the trend of people picking up on how solid of a band they are musically speaking. So much of the emphasis is on Taylor as a lyricist, which is well deserved, but they don't seem to get the credit for being as tight as they are.

8. ok "Somewhere Along The Way" is just gorgeous

But somewhere along the way
    I started to smile again
    I don’t remember when

:verysad::verysad::verysad:

9. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

They get better with every album. Hope it continues

10. "And may all your favorite bands stay together"

this is the nicest sentiment I can think of

Craig Manning and iplaydrums like this.
  11. Meerkat

@cshadows2887 can confirm that I have every intention of this being played at my funeral. Such a perfect, sweet song

jordalsh and cshadows2887 like this.
  12. Craig Manning

Absolutely. They should be landing on lists of the best rock bands around right now. They are all just so talented and it really showed with the more free-form nature of the All Your Favorite Bands sessions.

I love that you're loving this.

Definitely. One of the few bands where I can say I like each of their albums more than the one that came before it. I didn't think they'd top Stories Don't End for me, but All Your Favorite Bands definitely did the trick. Very excited to hear whatever comes next.

I want to use this line in a wedding toast someday.

13. Craig Manning

Here's a question: is "All Your Favorite Bands" the best Dawes song? Probably in my top three with "A Little Bit of Everything" and "Something in Common."

14. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

"Most People"?

15. Craig Manning

Probably makes my top five, along with "Time Spent in Los Angeles."

16. Meerkat

Top 5 would probably be "All Your Favorite Bands", "When My Time Comes", "Coming Back To A Man", "Someone Will", and "Most People"

17. Meerkat

Can't believe I forgot to mention this song as a top 5 candidate

18. Craig Manning

Has any other band/artist released three albums as stellar as Nothing is Wrong, Stories Don't End, and All Your Favorite Bands this decade? I can think of plenty of artists who have made two spectacular records since 2010, but I'm blanking on others with a trio this good.

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Could probably count them on one hand. Only two that jump at me are Kendrick and Future

But yes, all three of those albums are otherworldly in how much they rule

20. Craig Manning

I went back through my EOTY lists from the last six years and couldn't find any other artist with a run as great. I bet Kanye would be a popular choice for this topic, but I largely don't care for his new one personally.

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Damn, how'd I forget Kanye? You're probably not alone there, but I honestly think TLOP's a step up from Yeezus (which I loved, just not as much as others it seems)

22. Craig Manning

I didn't love Yeezus much either, but I understood the hype. The new one, not so much.

23. Meerkat

I fucking love "Hey Lover"

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

In comparison to past albums, I didn't think there was that much hype beyond that it's a Kanye album. But I guess I can get not liking it as much

25. Meerkat

Middle Brother is playing Newport Folk Fest