Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dawes - We're all Gonna Die (Sept 16, 2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Aug 16, 2016.

1. dpatrick23

Regular Supporter

It's definitely my least favorite of theirs off the bat, but it could grow on me.

2. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Definitely different so far [3 songs in plus heard the single plus they've played "As If By Design" live for a few years now] I'm glad they decided to switch things up. I'm going to guess that I'm going to love it but it won't ever be my favorite, but I would still want them to explore.

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This is fucking terrific. I love the production. This is going to be a fantastic headphones record.

Paging @cshadows2887.

Matt Chylak likes this.
  4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Cannot wait to listen to this after school today.

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Well this is fucking amazing. Has a shot to wear in as their best record. Damn.

6. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Right now I really love "One of Us" as a rocker, "Picture of a Man" as a rare take-down of over-masculinity, and "For No Good Reason" and "Less Than Five Miles Away" as what is now classic Dawes vignette-structured songs. I don't know what it is but I'm still not feeling the title track the way I am the rest of the album. Which is of course crazy because of this quote from Taylor from the interview with The Fader:

"The first song I wrote for this record was actually 'We're All Gonna Die' and right away it felt like it was the beginning of a batch of tunes that would be perfect for Blake to be a part of."

But there's still a lot of time for me to flip-flop, so who knows.

7. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Also, I'm happy that there is a Griffin song on here. I can't wait until I can just make a mix CD with all of Griffin's songs. With "How Far We've Come" and "Hey Lover" and now this song it's shaping up to be pretty strong.

8. Craig Manning

"One of Us" is probably my favorite, but I really like this whole record.

9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I haven't had a chance to listen to this new one yet, but for me Dawes has sneakily become one of my favorite bands. I say sneakily because none of their albums really blew me away on first listen, but as time goes on I find myself going back to each of their albums more and more and really coming to love them. Songs that struck me as pretty good and enjoyable at first now really resonate with me to the point where I don't know what I was even thinking before.

All of that being said, I can't lie - I am not a fan at all of When The Tequila Runs Out so far, not even a little bit. But hearing other people's thoughts about the album as a whole and knowing that I usually feel like their albums play much better as whole works versus collections of songs I definitely cannot wait to check this out.

10. fixius

Regular Supporter

I can't get the acoustic guitar riff on Quitter out of my head. Really enjoy that song.

11. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Oh man this is really good

12. Craig Manning

I love "When the Tequila Runs Out." I think that song is hilarious.

13. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

The only one that hasn't clicked with me yet is track ten, and that's because I'm usually studying and get distracted by the time it rolls around. Stellar stellar stuff.

14. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Wow. I really didn't like the two tracks released at all at first, but I have to say that after listening to the whole album I really love the whole thing. These guys are just so damn good.

The production is incredible, and I love seeing them push their sound in new directions. I still think the chorus on Tequila is pretty cheesy but it's just such a great and fun song. What an album.

derekjd likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

16. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Anyone get a physical copy of this yet? I'm wondering what the real title of the song is...on npr and Spotify it says "For No Good Reason" but the digital download says "No Good Reason."

17. zmtr

Trusted

I'm not sure why I slept on this. Maybe the lukewarm reviews?

Easily some of the catchiest tunes in their discography

18. Craig Manning

Anyone catch their tour for this yet? Going tonight and I'm really excited. Will be the first time I've seen them headline.

19. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

They have a really cool little booklet with a ton of information - gear list, an interview with Taylor, tidbits about songs and stuff, an overhead layout of the stage, a blank page for you to write the setlist.

20. Craig Manning

That's awesome. Don't think I've ever seen a band do something like that.

21. Craig Manning

22. jdr2187

jdr2187

Taylor and Mandy Moore got engaged recently and of course Taylor wrote a song about it.

Matthewconte and Craig Manning like this.
  23. zmtr

Trusted

whaaat? I didn't know they were dating. How could she do that to Milo? :(

24. Craig Manning

Apparently everyone in the This Is Us cast loves Taylor, haha

zmtr likes this.
  25. zmtr

Trusted

He seems like a really fun dude to hang out with