Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dawes - We're all Gonna Die (Sept 16, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jdr2187, Aug 16, 2016.

1. jdr2187

jdr2187

New album out Sept 16. They released a new song but im on my phone right now. Will post later if someone else doesn't first. I will say I didn't like it though.

2. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Not sure how to share the single from Facebook, but man, song's pretty bad. :(

3. It's no "All Your Favorite Bands," that's for sure.

4. jdr2187

jdr2187

It's just not good. Extremely corny chorus.

5. zmtr

Trusted

Really upset with what I'm hearing here. Did they go a different direction or something?

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd hate to be dramatic and say "What were they THINKING?" but this song... I don't know. What was the plan here?

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

You know, call me crazy, but I dig this song. It's quirky and it's dumb, but it sounds like they had a blast, and the production by Blake Mills is seriously top-notch stuff. Also, I'm not going to write off an album that has any of these things:

8. Craig Manning

To be fair, "All Your Favorite Bands" is like a top three song of the decade at this point.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  9. For sure. I probably should have expanded on that a little bit. The chorus started wearing on me even by the end of my first listen, but I actually like what's going on in the verses. I can see this becoming a song I don't mind hearing, especially if it's in the context of the album, but it will never touch my favorite songs from the last record.

10. Craig Manning

For sure. I mean, even I can say it's pretty easily weaker than anything on the last three albums. But musically, I think it's a pretty cool song, and it still makes me excited to hear the album. Agreed on the verses, too. They remind me of some of the stuff on Blake Mills' last solo record.

Also, I've come to the conclusion that this band kind of sucks at picking lead-off singles.

11. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Need to listen to the single, but I'm happy to hear that it doesn't sound like it's off of All Your Favorite Bands.

12. Craig Manning

zmtr likes this.
  13. jdr2187

jdr2187

I won't write off the entire album either, but I am not very hopeful at this point. I felt the same way when they released things happen and All Your Favorite Bands ended up being the Dawes album I like the least. I think the problem for me is just that I prefer the old laurel canyon sound of the first 2 albums, but I know everybody doesn't feel that way as the last album seemed to be really popular.

I do agree though that they are just the worst at choosing singles.

14. Craig Manning

I wasn't too jazzed about "Things Happen" at first either, but that one grew on me. The last two albums from them are probably my favorites, though Nothing is Wrong can be in that mix too, depending on the day. North Hills is my least favorite by an extremely wide margin. I've generally liked each of their albums more than the last, so I'm pretty confident that I'll enjoy whatever progression they have next. But yeah, this is a far cry from their Laurel Canyon sound.

15. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

I think I can say with 100% certainty that side one of All Your Favorite Bands can't be topped for me. Things Happen through I Can't Think About it Now is my favorite stretch in their catalog.

This single....doesn't do much for me.

16. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Chorus on the new song is real bad but musically it's pretty interesting and the verses are fine. Loved the last album a ton so hopefully this is just a slight misstep.

17. jdr2187

jdr2187

Saw these guys live again the other night at a free concert here in Nashville and despite the new song they are still one of the best live bands around. Also just got a ticket to the album release show which is in a 400 capacity small club. Can't wait for that as I havent seen them in a venue that size since they toured for North Hills.

18. jdr2187

jdr2187

New song "We're All Gonna Die"

19. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Like that way more than the first single

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Same, hoping this one grows on me like I think it might

21. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Regardless of the new songs, this quote is just so encouraging for Dawes addicts:

"We get withdrawals once a record is done being recorded. And the thrill of releasing a new album and taking it on the road is something that just gets stronger every time."

22. jdr2187

jdr2187

Full thing is streaming

23. Craig Manning

Woah, this came quickly didn't it?

24. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Realllllly like "Roll With The Punches". This is going to be a polarizing record, but there's sure to be some gems coming from this song.

25. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

After one listen, I definitely like it more than their last one, but am undecided on how it'll hold up