Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dawes - Good Luck With Whatever Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Spazzy McGee, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Can second the Delta Spirit rec, been listening to that album a ton

2. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I haven’t heard it yet but it’s on my list! Any good? I haven’t really liked a whole project of theirs since the debut but MLV’s 2017 solo album was really fun.

3. jdr2187

jdr2187

Honestly haven’t heard it yet either. I hadn’t really enjoyed anything from them since History From Below, and also wasn’t huge on any of Matt’s solo stuff. So I haven’t been in a huge rush to get around to it either.

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Swaddle likes this.
  5. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I love the Father John Misty reference on “None of My Business” haha

6. Spazzy McGee

Regular

‘11-‘15 trio is tops

Craig Manning likes this.
  7. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I'm not ready to actually put this in place yet but right now I'm probably
    1. Nothing is Wrong 2. North Hills 3. All Your Favorite Bands 4. Stories Don't End 5. We're All Gonna Die 6. Passwords

To be clear, they are all very, very good.

8. Craig Manning

All Your Favorite Bands
    Stories Don't End
    Nothing Is Wrong
    We're All Gonna Die
    North Hills
    Passwords

There are a lot of things I really love about Passwords (particularly the last two tracks), but it's definitely the one I connected with least. This new one, I'm not sure yet; maybe as high as fourth.

9. Craig Manning

Also, “Me Especially” sounds so much like Counting Crows to me. I’d love them to work with one of the producers that the Crows have worked with. T Bone Burnett especially, but Gil Norton or Brian Deck would be interesting too.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. Swaddle

11. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Just getting to this but fuck is it good. “Didn’t Fix Me” is just a wrecking ball lyrically. And I love the slight rock/Bruce touches that pop up on a few bigger tracks.

But then of course they put NONE of it on “St. Augustine at Night” so you have nowhere to hide from that lyric. The bastards.

12. Spazzy McGee

Regular

Got my marble blue copy in yesterday, one of the most beautiful records I own. Still kinda lukewarm on the album but am still enjoying it

Attached Files:

jpmalone4 and Craig Manning like this.
  13. Craig Manning

Man, wish I’d ordered that. Beautiful. I bought the standard edition at my record store. Brand new, but had a massive scratch on the back that made the last two songs unplayable. Store replaced it, obviously, but first time I’ve ever had that happen.

Love the album, though. Probably my favorite thing they’ve done since Favorite Bands.

14. fixius

Regular Supporter

This is a welcomed rebound after Passwords. Dawes is one of my favorite bands, and Passwords did very little for me. I still ride with We're All Gonna Die as being my favorite. To me it's the most adventurous they've ever sounded, and it's the one I return to the most.

15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah i like this a lot. dave really did a great job behind the boards. kinda how i always wanted this band to sound.

16. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

Live performance of "Didn't Fix Me." Sounds so good.

Spazzy McGee likes this.
  17. Craig Manning

Nothing Is Wrong was the first Dawes album I heard. It impressed me then, and has continued to worm its way deeper into my heart since. Happy 10 years!

Matt Chylak, Spazzy McGee and jdr2187 like this.
  18. Spazzy McGee

Regular

What a killer album. Find most of the songs acoustically and go back to that self-made album a lot as well

19. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

"A Little Bit of Everything" is an all timer, that song always gets me

20. Craig Manning

Definitely one of the albums from the past 10 years with the best pair of bookends. The whole thing is great, but the opener and closer are god tier.

jpmalone4 likes this.
  21. Spazzy McGee Jul 13, 2021
    (Last edited: Jul 15, 2021)
    Spazzy McGee

Regular

Brother Beck likes this.
  22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I think I'm gonna have to grab the Spotify version with the Xenomorph color.

23. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

This one was rough to wake up to

24. Spazzy McGee

Regular

They’ve been playing a new song and have teased to fans the new album is complete
    Do yourself a favor and check it out

Matthewconte likes this.
  25. jdr2187

jdr2187

Man this new song sounds like it came right out of the John Prine play book and I love it. Too bad it won’t be on the new album.

Craig Manning and Spazzy McGee like this.