Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

David87's American Road Trip Thread Social • Page 5

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by David87, May 1, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Quincy Market is just a cool area in general. Maybe not so much in the cold lol

Wharf Rat likes this.
  2. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

What kind of historic things are you looking to do? Here's the map of the Freedom Trail and all the spots it hits.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/pdfs/NPS BOST Map Jan 2013.pdf

Another option to hit most of those things is to do a Duck Tour. They're pretty fun and you get a knowledgeable guide that explains everything that you drive by and gives a lot of history throughout the city. It's a little expensive but I usually take people on one when they come to visit and it only takes like 90 mins to hit all the spots instead of walking everywhere.

There's not much for breweries right in the city, so unless you have a car most you won't be able to get to. Trillium has a spot in the Seaport area if you're just looking to grab some cans/bottles. I think they have a new spot in Roslindale but I don't know much about that. If you can drive then just outside the city is Nightshift in Everett and Aeronaut in Sommerville. Both are cool places and have really good beers. Also, on the same street as Nightshift is another small brewery called Bone Up brewing that's a cool little spot and a Distillery that I've heard is pretty good.

Union Oyster House is the most famous of historical restaurants. The place is pretty good and they have a raw bar if you like oysters. Worth a stop in at least. I always love just walking around the North End and smelling all the good Italian food being made. My favorite spot is La Conte on Salem St. I'd recommend staying off of Hanover Street as those places are always packed. Depending on where you're staying I can try and give some other recommendations too if you want.

David87 and RyanPm40 like this.
  3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The Freedom Trail really does hit a lot of the landmarks you'd want to see. But like Ben said, do some wandering in neighborhoods. Harvard Square, the Back Bay/Kenmore, the North End, the Seaport/Fort Point. Best way to see the city.

David87 likes this.
  4. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

As @BlueEyesBrewing said, I definitely recommend the Duck Tours too if it isn't too cold and you have the time. We took my sister's boyfriend when he was visiting from Colorado and he loved it.

David87 likes this.
  5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

So the NEw England trip was a relative success and I'll hopefully remember and have time to post some pics or something from it sometime here.

For the Austin, TX people....are there parts of Austin that should be avoided? I only ask because hotels seem to get super cheap in the southern and northern parts of the area, and I can't tell if that's because those are crime ridden areas or if it's just because there's nothing going on in those parts of the city haha.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Any New Orleans suggestions? We have friends who live there so they'll probably be able to show us around and such. Of course we will have to do the touristy Bourbon Street stuff and all that, but any recs on what else to check out? Bars/restaurants, specifically ones with good Jambalaya? Any haunted tours? Haunted plantations tours? Preferably ones where the money earned from it is used for public goods and not private profit?

7. djwildefire

Trusted

I was just in the Grand Canyon for 5 days, so feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. In short, the Rim trail from Bright Angel Lodge to Hermits Rest is a really nice stroll. Be careful on any of the trails that go down into the canyon, very steep on the way back up. If you go through a town called Williams (about an hour south of Grand canyon’s south rim) Historic Brewing is worth a stop.