Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

David Bowie Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Anti-Counter-Culture, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Searched and couldn't find a Bowie general. So, which of his albums have you been spinning lately? After his passing, I went back through his mid-80's through 90's work and found out there were a few albums I really underrated, so I'll probably be clocking Black Tie White Noise sometime today.

2. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Station to station, Heroes, Lets Dance

My 3 faves. I love the new album alot too. great jazz.

3. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I have to say, after sitting on it for a while (his passing made it too much for me to listen to), I think it might be one of the most unique albums of the decade and a real highpoint in his career.

4. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

His most influential album, in my opinion, and my favorite.

It never ever gets old. You find new things every time you listen.

5. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I go back and forth so much, but Low is always in the rotation for Best Bowie. I think that he's one of those artists for me that doesn't have a singular greatest album, but rather A, B, and C-tier material. He really doesn't have an album I dislike, and there are only a few I'd say I'm ambivalent towards; his work mostly ranges from perfect to awesome.

6. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

The only Bowie albums I have are Heathen, Reality, The Next Day and Blackstar, but I think all 4 are very very good. Want to start going back to Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust soon though.

7. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Ziggy is my favorite but I am really liking Scary Monsters lately.
    I grew up on bowie and my dad and I always said if he toured again we'd be there.

8. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Whats the best Bowie album from the 90s?

9. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

brandon_260 likes this.
  10. Saw a local band do an absolutely phenomenal cover of Lazarus to close out their set last night. I was geekin hard.

coleslawed likes this.
  11. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Hunky Dory > Ziggy Stardust

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  12. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Oh, God yes. I'd put Diamond Dogs above it, too. Ziggy's one of those classics that meet the hype, but I think he's got quite a few albums that trump it.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  13. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

My dive into Bowie has been slow. I bought Blackstar the day before his death, and since then have been slowly going through his albums. Got The Next Day, then Heathen and Reality; now I'm on to Ziggy and Hunky Dory. Diamond Dogs is next I think. I really love Hunky Dory though, I think Life on Mars? Is my favorite Bowie single.

14. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I like The Next Day, Heathen, and Reality, but they're far from my favorites. They're albums I appreciate probably more than I enjoy (aside from TND, which I think is pretty underrated). Hunky Dory is what got me into Bowie. The Man Who Sold The World seems to be unfairly overlooked, but it's great. I also strongly recommend his Berlin Trilogy and Scary Monsters & Super Creeps. His whole discography's pretty consistent up until after Let's Dance, imo. Definitely keep it up, man. It's taken me years and I've got a long time to go before I'm properly acquainted with his whole career, but it's worth it.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  15. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

I really love Bowie, and I've only recently gotten into him so there is still a lot of his discography I need to listen to more often. I think my favorite album is Low, followed by Ziggy and then probably Diamond Dogs. I really like Blackstar and The Next Day too, but I find myself overwhelmed sometimes and forgetting to pay attention to those ones

Think I'll be focusing on The Man Who Sold The World next

16. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

Low is STILL ahead of it's time. No one has caught up to it, even still.

The arangements and structural risks of those songs are as risky as you can get from such a 'mainstream' artist.

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Bought Tonight and Never Let Me Down on vinyl today. I hadn't read much great about them prior, but they were $7.99 and $9.99 each and I had a free gift card from the record store so I went for it having never heard either before. Going through Tonight now. Loving The Alien is instantly one of my favorite Bowie tracks. I'm not wild about the reggae influence on Don't Look Down but it works much better on Tonight.

Also listened to Young Americans for the first time today. Probably my least favorite Bowie I've heard. But that's mostly due to me liking his more dystopian sounds than the soul influence on that one.

18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Final Bowie recording coming next month on the Lazarus cast something or other. They were recorded with Blackstar band. Oct 21.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  19. junkmanserenade

Where are your friends tonight?

"Lazarus" came on while I was in the subway today and it gave me full-body chills. What a heavy song.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  20. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Blackstar is still easily my favorite Bowie album, so getting three more songs from the same lineup is really exciting for me.

21. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

No Plan is beautiful.

22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I'm really into No Plan and Killing a Little Time. When I Met You is a little more whatever, but it feels great to have these tracks.

23. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I just want to say, I really hate Bowie's label for not making the final three Bowie songs available without buying the whole cast album. I can't drop $17 for an album. Especially when I really only want the three songs.

24. NitrateDawn

Regular

Came into this thread to ask if there was anywhere to purchase just the 3 Bowie recordings. Guess that answers that haha. Guess I'll wait and see if they ever get sold individually :/

25. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Truly think ⋆ is one of his three best