Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dave Melillo Releasing Unreleased Songs • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 26, 2018.

1. schackbr

Regular

To answer a few people's points on here:

1. These weren't shelved songs, they were demos that never got properly recorded because Drive-Thru wouldn't put them out. A few of them were on MySpace awhile back.

2. It's not that he didn't want to put out a full length record or continue with the sound. On his podcast he mentions he had something like 20 songs written and Drive-Thru pretty much told them they were trash and he had lost his way. Then said they'd release the songs if he signed a 360 deal. Meaning they'd release it if they got a piece of every single thing he did.

3. His mix tapes actually had some pretty awesome tunes. I'd give them a listen if you were a fan of his.

4. Just personal opinion, but given the right opportunity I still think he could be a huge selling artist. He's objectively a pretty good looking dude (from another dude himself over here), has the pipes, and is an above average songwriter.

studskalny and RobJGolde like this.
  2. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

They have a history of doing sketchy things. Multiple records they have released without the approval of the bands. As well as holding back stock and selling for inflated prices on ebay. There's a big Vinyl Collective thread about it out there.

heneedssomemilk likes this.
  3. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I had never heard of this guy until I saw his podcast mentioned in another thread on here, and I gotta say, I feel bad for the guy. All the shit DTR put him through was ridiculous, especially considering the ambition/talent he showed at 16. If you listen to his "Too Young to Fail" series, it's pretty insightful. It's also cool to hear about the anecdotes about Cute Is What We Aim For taking him under their wing after DTR kept screwing him over, and how Bruce Springsteen's influence crept into his songwriting as he got older.

4. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

If this wasn't through ETR, I'd hop all over this. They're not getting a cent from me.

5. schackbr

Regular

what's the deal with them?

6. studskalny

I met the devil and I stared her in the eyes

Tbh, I will always be able to enjoy the EP he put out back in the day, mostly because of nostalgia. Same reason this will probably be fun to listen to. A shame to read about the stuff he went through with DTR, I never really understood why there wasn't a follow up way back when. Will probably check out the podcast too.

7. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I’m glad/surprised that 1/2 Dave Melillo songs I know is on this lol. Maybe that means it will finally be on Spotify (read between the lines)

8. Glad this is being released. The "Too Young to Fail" series on his podcast is super interesting and I've been enjoying listening to it a lot. I actually didn't really care for his Drive-Thru EP all that much but really liked his two mixtapes and his Nocturnal Me stuff. I'll be picking this up for sure.

heneedssomemilk likes this.
  9. heneedssomemilk

dang that's messed up. thanks for letting me know.

10. schackbr

Regular

To be fair, if they buy the rights to the album or acquire them correctly they don't really need the approval of the band. The other stuff is definitely sketchy though.

11. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Damn do I miss that era of music.

12. copey

Regular

...and it'll still be three more weeks til i get hoooooome:musical:

13. gbuffers

England.

I was weirdly into Drive-Thru Records; however I remember being really disappointed in that release and (perhaps an overreaction) thinking it was the beginning of the decline for Drive-Thru. I suppose it wasn't far off. Never cared for it, but fantastic for him if he can still shift units 12 years on through unreleased songs! Good luck to him.

14. schackbr

Regular

I was never a big fan of Dave's Drive-Thru release. It felt like something he wasn't to me. Sam's Song and Knights of the Island Counter were jams. I'm not sure if it was the demos leading up to it or whatever but Wait For It, Excuse were SO good.

supernovagirl likes this.
  15. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

Never support ETR Records.

Pure trash.

16. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Kinda crazy cause I legit just listened to his drive thru EP two days ago.

17. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Used to jam to his ep a lot back in the day! I was legit disappointed he never released a album, but I did suspect Drive Thru records were to blame.

Hopefully the new/old songs don’t disappoint.

18. alifetimeaway

Is there a way to just download the songs? I'm not really into buying records anymore.

19. noKings

Regular

i took a walk down to the shoreeeeeeee

20. schackbr

Regular

shipped today. guess this truly wasn't even a preorder?

21. He released a new episode of his podcast last night which is a track-by-track commentary on his mixtape Thinking of You. I'm like halfway through and it's really great so far. Probably my favorite release of his so it's super cool that this exists!

22. BLACK JONES

Thats an amzing news I always love his songs and the lyrics and all the wording of his song and especially the music is mesmerizing.I would love to hear those as soon as they get release.I will wait for it.
    https://williamjacket.com/product/negan-jacket/