Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dave Melillo Releasing Unreleased Songs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

JRGComedy likes this.
  2. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

Man, I bet I still know every word to that EP from the old days. It's a shame he didn't keep on with that sound and solo act.

3. zachmacD

Trusted

really? I went back and listened to the ep a couple weeks ago. imo, that thing does not hold up

heneedssomemilk likes this.
  4. daldalian

I mean, I haven't revisited it in probably 8 years, but I'd assume it holds up as well as any of the Spill Canvas or Early November stuff from the same era.

I'd be interested to have heard him mature with that sound, is more of what I meant.

zachmacD likes this.
  5. zachmacD Jul 26, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2018)
    zachmacD

Trusted

oh definitely. I misunderstood. He's got a great voice and he was only like 16 at the time so I'm sure he would've molded into a great artist.

heneedssomemilk and daldalian like this.
  6. The thought of this guy releasing his over a decade old music that was never very popular in the first place on vinyl in 2018 is kinda wild to me. The podcast he started must be seeing a fair amount of attention for him to think enough people would be interested in paying for this

I say this as a person that liked his 2006 EP when it came out

7. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

Interested in listening to this. Expectations are pretty low considering it's basically a collection of shelved songs, but will be a fun "what if" trip down memory lane.

marceting and heneedssomemilk like this.
  8. efp722

Regular

I was thinking the same. What's this podcast? Haven't seen his name or thought about him in almost 10 years.

9. The Format

Regular

Woah woah woah. The Early November is a national treasure.

Also are still consistently creating great music.

10. daldalian

I know, that's why I said "from the same era."

I love Ace and pretty much everything he's put out, but there's no doubt they've matured since their Drive Thru days.

11. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

I enjoyed his post drive thru music he was releasing . I’m stoked to hear new stuff

12. heneedssomemilk

oh sick. i wanna pick this up. have been a big fan since his drive-thru era.

13. heneedssomemilk

i agree. definitely one of the strongest voices in the genre at that time IMO

zachmacD likes this.
  14. heneedssomemilk

he def has a somewhat loyal fanbase. as a fan, i'm happy that his songs are finally being put into a somewhat cohesive release
    Yea, it would have been neat to hear fresh recordings. But maybe this is a start? regardless, it's a neat item for fans of his old stuff

15. heneedssomemilk

he has a small but entertaining podcast called "conversation piece" where he basically interviews and discusses music with other artists (mostly newer or lesser known artists). he did 4-5 episodes called "too young to fail" where he discusses his own story beginning from the time he signed with drive-thru to present, basically. it's a neat listen because he goes into pretty good detail about what happened with DTR and some of the bull crap he experienced

JRGComedy likes this.
  16. heneedssomemilk

i see what ur saying, i guess, since the genre changed a lot with the emo revival bands and such.. i still think "this is 2005" is an excellent song though.. i love the ending of it.. just a great song for that time i feel. but i see ur point. not trying to argue with ya haha

zachmacD likes this.
  17. It’s called Conversation Piece. There’s probably less than 20 episodes total and about half of them are basically just him detailing his life in the music industry. The rest are interviews with other artists — I haven’t listened to any of those but none of the names look familiar to me.

18. Yeah I mean, always happy for fans and artists to be able to connect in whatever way possible, especially if it means you’re getting a release you never thought you’d get. I guess I just didn’t realize this guy that put out one pretty mediocre EP 12 years ago on a dying record label was able to maintain a fanbase, lol. I feel pretty connected to the scene he was most noted within and yet I haven’t even heard his name since like 2008 — just confused as to where this “loyal fanbase” is even coming from, is all.

19. heneedssomemilk

yeah, totally, i don't think it's a huge huge fanbase, but he has some followers for sure. i think they're basically fans that have stayed connected with him since that era. in the podcast he describes the situation he endured as a "mind f-ck", and i think that's likely a pretty fair explanation. he was 16-18, signed into a 4 year LP deal, and then gets basically shot down when recording songs on his own dime to try and convince DTR to release an LP for him. hindsight is 20/20, so it's easy to say, "well he couldve done X Y or Z" haha. but yea, i think he has a unique story. i hope the best for him because i think he got screwed over in some ways

trevorshmevor likes this.
  20. heneedssomemilk

i see what you're saying though about how the music doesn't hold up in some ways. i can agree in some ways, and others not so much. it's interesting because his EP definitely has a certain sound to it that's connected to that era of pop-punk/emo. and the genre, especially emo, has changed a great deal since that time. i wish i could hear Dave's songs produced at a high quality, with the same vibe he had on the EP, just more mature and better aligned with today's pop-punk/emo sound. but alas, that is a dream haha, and idk if that'll happen ever

21. heneedssomemilk

another cool thing i discovered from this release is this label "enjoy the ride." they're kinda the perfect fit for this project because they mainly just re-issue vinyls. and idk, they have some freaking awesome releases, like the Ace ventura 2 soundtrack and just some really neat off the wall stuff. so i think this is a cool opportunity to put out a niche product and have it be an exclusive item for people's collections

22. zachmacD

Trusted

no worries man! It's refreshing to be able to disagree with people in 2018 and keep it respectful. That's not usually the case nowadays.

Anyway, I honestly was never the biggest fan of his but i did enjoy that ep. A lot of lyrics from back then weren't that great but I was surprised how bad I thought his were when I went back and listened. That's obviously just my opinion but i think they stand out to me because it's pretty stripped down

23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

He played a lot of these tracks on his podcast and there are some good ones!

24. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Always remember the EP, mixtape, and album that he never put out. I waited forever for that thing

25. theredline

Trusted Supporter

They put out great stuff. I got the Yo Gabba Gabba Soundtrack as well as the Bill And Ted movie score on vinyl. Great quality stuff.