Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dashboard Confessional, Emo’s King of Pain, Rises Again

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jon Caramanica, writing for The New York Times:

Yes, and it wasn’t. If you were to have been my accountant at that time, you would say there might never be a better time than right this minute to release a record, but it just doesn’t work for me that way. So the waiting game began. We did our tour and a year passed. I wrote, like, snippets and then I would stop. I’d physically stop. I put the pencil and the paper down and said, “Stop it. You’re just eager, you’re eager to deliver.”

Then one day off tour I woke up one morning and I walked downstairs and I wrote a song, and it was evident from the first melodic idea that this was a Dashboard song. And the next morning I woke up and I bolted for my guitar. I realized, “I’m there.” After all that time I’d begun to wonder if they’d ever come back, and when they came back they came back in rapid succession. The whole thing was a cavalcade and I just surrendered to it.

This is a really well done and informative interview. I’ve been spinning the new album for a few weeks now, and there’s some really good classic Dashboard Confessional songs on it (and a few I’m not sold on), but man, I will go do my grave thinking Alter the Ending was criminally underrated.

2. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

I loved Alter the Ending. I don't think it sold very well though. Probably just enough copies to top the tank and fill the cooler... I'll see myself out. .

fredwordsmith and zachmacD like this.
  3. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I consider myself a big fan of Dashboard, and have been listening since 01/02. And my favorite records of his are Alter the Ending and the Shade of Poison Trees. And I'm not sure it's close.

It's always a weird feeling to know you don't just disagree with the rest of the fan base, but the artist itself. Oh well.

Jason Tate and alkalinexandy like this.
  4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Alter the Ending is their best album. It’s not my favorite from them, but it’s definetely their best effort, IMO.

Penguin likes this.
  5. Saephon

Regular

The Shade of Poison Trees needs more love. I'll have to go back and try Alter The Ending again, because it honestly didn't leave an impression on me last time.

6. Bonesaw

Collide

Same here. I tried so hard to like Alter the Ending and I just couldn't but I do love me some Poison Tree.

AshlandATeam likes this.
  7. NitrateDawn

Regular

I never got into Alter the Ending, but in the past couple weeks in preparation for the new record I've listened to it more and it's definitely better than I gave it credit for. Dusk and Summer is still my favorite though.

8. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Alter The Ending Deluxe version with acoustic and electric versions of each song is absolutely the way to experience that record. "Everybody Learns from Disaster" and "Until Morning" are titanic songs.

9. Eml182

Regular

Alter The Ending is fantastic- should have gotten more love, so many great everythings.

10. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

The King of Emo tagline will never leave Chris, what was that from, Alt Press 02' cover? Ha. This article was really interesting too, had no clue ATE already came out so long ago. Love everything he's done basically, and seeing him talking about his personal life, however brief it might be, is really refreshing.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  11. Analog Drummer Feb 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 2, 2018)
    Analog Drummer

Regular

I actually even really like that DC song with the Chainsmokers rip off group collab. It’s so fun. Strange having it sitting mid album though

12. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

Alter the Ending is such a great record!

13. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Alter The Ending is definitely a top 10 album for me.

14. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Chris always struck me as a cool person to chat with. Interesting to get his point of view on Brand New and the objectification of women in the scene as well.

15. Jared Luttrell

Regular

This is a really good interview and well worth reading the whole thing. Really gets into the mindset he was in when he finally felt he was ready to write new Dashboard music as well as tackling the sexual assault situations our scene has faced.

16. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

Read this, listened to the new singles and then went right to Alter the Ending. Great stuff, can't wait for the new record.

17. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Alter the Ending sucked. But not as bad as The Shade of a Poison Trees.

Dusk & Summer is their magnum opus.

18. Analog Drummer Feb 2, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 2, 2018)
    Analog Drummer

Regular

Yeah I dig D&S so much

Shade took me years to appreciate

Alter had some banging singles, but I can’t remember thinking much else of it. I’m gonna revisit the electric and acoustic versions of it this week leading up to newbie and see if frothin here is real
    I still always play Belle OTB monthly

emeryk3 likes this.