Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dashboard Confessional - Crooked Shadows (February 9, 2018) Album • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 15, 2017.

1. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I keep liking this more and more. The only song I can't totally get around to so far is "Crooked Shadows." I love the verses, but the chorus just isn't grabbing me yet

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Crooked shadows is the one that reminds me of penny black the most... maybe “rescued train”?

3. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

His voice sounds awful on the chorus of that track and ruins it for me.

I also really dig the verses to Be Alright but the chorus is very disappointing. Nearly kills that song, too.

Songs I’ll most likely go back to:
    We Fight
    Heart Bear Here
    Belong
    Be Alright
    Just What to Say

And honestly even if that was an EP it’d still be underwhelming.

4. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Just What To Say is one of the best closers I’ve heard on any album, ever...

jorbjorb and teebs41 like this.
  5. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Well, after spending a weekend with it on and off, I definitely have better things to say about it than I did on Friday. We Fight, Catch You and Just What's to Say are awesome, and the rest of the album is somewhere between fine and good. It isn't perfect, but it's a solid album.

duritzfan13 likes this.
  6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

After one listen, I definitely feel like this is pretty OK overall. Some songs I dig, some that don't do much, but nothing I outwardly HATE I guess

7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Just What to Say wow wow. Someone’s been listening to Julien Baker

David Parke likes this.
  8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Really want to hear stripped down versions of About Us and Crooked Shadows.

duritzfan13 likes this.
  9. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Haven’t listened to Alter The Ending in a really long time. Thought I’d throw it on today just to give myself a refresher.

Fuck.

I keep thinking about how I feel after nine years of waiting and getting this album. If it were in reverse, if Crooked Shadows were the album I got nine years ago and Chris returned with ATE I’d be feeling like damn this was really worth it.

10. i still haven't listened to this oops

sonder and David Parke like this.
  11. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Not sure how I feel about the album as a whole, but I really love Heart Beat Here.

Poor Chris, though. Sounds like he's really destroyed his vocal cords, but is still trying to sound like he used to. It just sounds like he's straining a lot at parts.

12. quietwords

For those who like to know chart info, the album debuted at #53 on the Billboard 200. Was #13 on the Top Album Sales chart.
    We Fight is also #14 on the Alternative Songs chart.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  13. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

I would've hoped for better for DC.

14. A little over 6k sold.

AlwaysEvolving21 and teebs41 like this.
  15. duritzfan13

all we have is time

6k?! Wow.... don't really know what I expected but that sounds very low

16. Spenny

Regular

I met Chris yesterday and saw him perform a seven song acoustic set for one of our local radio stations ahead of the tour kick-off tonight. I can die happy.

David Parke and teebs41 like this.
  17. duritzfan13

all we have is time

The release day acoustic set/signing in Nashville was great as well. "Just What To Say" sounded wonderful live

Spenny and David Parke like this.
  18. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

When a band puts out a “bad or weak or whatever” album like this. Do we feel it hurts their legacy or is it like well he’s made so much great music it doesn’t really matter?

I know people like this and that’s awesome and i found some of it enjoyable as well but just an interesting discussion.

19. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I really don't think this album is that bad... but if that was a discussion, I'd say no because when 99% of people think of Dashboard, regardless of how good this album is, people are going to think of the old stuff. And honestly that's true for most bands with a "legacy." I think of Weezer-- a lot of people hate the new stuff but I don't think it overshadows their legacy because when most people think of them they think of the first two records. If that makes sense

David Parke and teebs41 like this.
  20. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Well I'm definitely a little disappointed but for me it was all worth it for We Fight. Stoked to have that on shuffle.

David Parke likes this.
  21. manoverboard365

Trusted

Those numbers upset me. It doesnt make sense, how a band as popular as Dashboard Confessional, who had two successful tours last year, are embarking on a successful one now, and just signed to a pretty big label, sold so damn low.

22. Spenny

Regular

Ah that would be amazing.

He played Vindicated, We Fight, Stolen, Heart Beat Here + Hands Down at the thing I went to yesterday, plus two covers.

23. quietwords

I don’t think it hurts their legacy. I think most loyal fans who were disappointed will still give him a pass because they are nostalgic for the old stuff. But I think at this point he needs more than just the loyal, nostalgic fan base.

I don’t know what the label thinks of these numbers, though I found them interesting. I’m sure there will be another album though.

I’m kind of rambling. Sorry

24. My biggest issue is I have no connection to the members which was fine in the beginning but lately it feels like Chris talks about DC as a BAND now. Where as before, I felt a connection to Mike Marsh who played drums with him for a while in the early 00's and then disappeared without word AFAIK and at that time it really felt to me like they were kinda billed as Chris and some dudes. I just wish it FELT more like a band if it's gonna be treated like that. I can google these guys and find out about them and have, but there seems to be a bit of a disconnect. Maybe it's just me?

25. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I agree.. John and Mike were big parts of the DC sound. It wasn't like they were just "live guys," they literally played on the records. Would've been nice to have had some sort of message from them. Even Ben, who's played drums for them the past few years just left the band before the record came out.

The interviews I've seen feel like he kind of undermines the old lineup. Since AMAMABAS it was truly the sound of those guys, not just Chris. IMO at least. Mike and John's playing styles were signature to the band.

David Parke likes this.