Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dashboard Confessional - Crooked Shadows (February 9, 2018) Album • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I dug the title track.

2. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

It wasn't unpleasant but it didn't really stick for me

3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Looking through comments on DC on social media posts and noticing a lot a positive feedback about the album. That’s pretty good to see considering the mixed reactions in this thread.

Dare I look on reddit? That place frightens me.

David Parke likes this.
  4. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Wow, according to last.fm I played "About Us" 20 times today haha.

jorbjorb and airik625 like this.
  5. it's his best vocal album too!! i feel like i keep saying this but i think i never noticed how good he sounds on it.

What they can never take awaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaay

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Oh yeah, he does some insane stuff on that record, vocally. The title track is pretty jaw-dropping.

7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The bridge in Be Alright makes up for the lackluster chorus. Song is growing on me.

8. I was bummed out on the ATE acoustic record at first. I was certain he just did an acoustic pass and threw the regular vocals on it. Being this far removed, I put it on today without listening to the regular version and it was great. Not his best but great. Also listened to Crooked Shadows this morning for a second time. At least it’s brief so the good moments don’t get drowned out as badly.

9. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

After multiple listens to this I feel like the best track was used as the lead single - which to me is unfortunate. I get the label pushing that song though. It got me hyped and I feel it got everyone else on board. I'm interested to see where he'll go from here. If most of these songs were on a bsides collection I'd totally understand them. I wonder what the album he lost sounded like.

10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

So Cold is a great song.definitely would have benefitted from a better producer.

11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

12. Score’s too high.

Onlyadirector likes this.
  13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Saw this posted on Twitter earlier. I can’t disagree with a lot of the criticisms, but the writing is pretty awful. Not sure how this got published.

David Parke and cwhit like this.
  14. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

yeah going in not as a fan of the band that didn’t listen to the album, i still think it’s atrociously written

15. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

This is an... Interesting album.

16. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

Actually, I like it as a pop album but not as much as a DBC album

David Parke likes this.
  17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah. That’s kinda how I feel about it. It’s not the worst thing in the world. Just not the DC I love or was expecting after 9 years.

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I just purchased the Twin Forks LP on vinyl. Extremely underrated, imo.

19. alltimelovely

Ohhh my feelings are so mixed about this album. I saw Dashboard in around October last year - he played 'we fight' and 'heart beats here' during the set.. both sounded great live and are probably my favourite two songs from the album. I don't mind 'about us' and 'crooked shadows'... and everyone seems to like the last song but I haven't gotten to the end of the album much.

I think the hard thing for me is that Dashboard will always remind me of high school, and falling in love for the first time and all those feelings that I felt when I listened to 'the places you have come to fear the most' and 'hands down'. Releasing an album after 9 years was never going to meet my expectations but I'm glad for more Dashboard music.

Also, as others have mentioned, I would check out Twin Forks if you haven't. Cross my mind is one of my fav songs.

AlwaysEvolving21, .K. and David Parke like this.
  20. duritzfan13

all we have is time

But it’s about the music.. not a band name so I never really understand comments like this

21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I had people over for an event last night and after the event it basically turned into an emo night and someone put on “belong”, and I was like “I hate this song” as I proceeded to know Every lyric.

AlwaysEvolving21 and David Parke like this.
  22. manoverboard365

Trusted

After a dozen or so listens this weekend I'm starting to warm up to this a bit. My least favorite songs are About Us and Open My Eyes, but everything else is a pretty fun listen.

The new album also inspired me to go back through this discography. It's funny, when Dusk & Summer came out 12 years ago I immediately hated it. I think I was just so into the acoustic/clean sound of DC that I was shocked to hear distorted guitars. But now listening to it it's actually a great album. I love The Secrets in the Telling and Rooftops & Invitations.

AshlandATeam and David Parke like this.
  23. S A M E

manoverboard365 likes this.
  24. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I wasn’t a huge Dashboard fan back in the day so when I started getting into them, I thought Dusk and Summer was fantastic....I also didn’t really know anything other than Hands Down before Vindicated and then Stolen came out, so when I did start listening to them, I didn’t have that acoustic frame of reference for them.

Once I dove in I realized I had heard some other Dashboard songs before and just didn’t realize it was them.

25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think I’m really gonna like this album as I have more time with it. I’ve liked everything he’s done so far. Having Brian Fallon release on the same day isn’t fair.

duritzfan13 likes this.