Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dashboard Confessional – “KindaYeahSorta” • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I figured this person was trolling, I just wanted to post "Built This Pool."

2. SundayDrive555

Would it be possible for me to stay in the room for, say, a year in silence? Is that on the table?

Arry likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

I hear worse songs than this every time I turn on the radio in my car, so I'm surprised at the amount of fuss here.

4. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

case in point

5. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

i think most of it is the artist attached to it.
    had this been someone we'd never heard of, then it wouldn't be getting the hate it is. but the hate comes from knowing what Chris has does in the past vs this, which is much less quality than his previous work. majority of the posts are "this sucks compared to his old stuff!" which couldn't happen with a new artist of course.

6. Craig Manning

Sure, but people are piling on like it's the worst song they've ever heard. I'd be more concerned if it were on an album, but it's pretty clearly a one-off, and it's been stated multiple times that it was initially written for another artist. It does suck compared to his old stuff (it sucks, period) but I'm still surprised at the legs this news post has had.

Connor and Jared Luttrell like this.
  7. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I'm glad it's probaly a one-off, Ey! I was pretty optimistic, but what the hell was that hahh ;d though I agree with Craig for example, there's worse out there! ps. A Mark, a Mission, a Brand, a Scar turns 15 this Sunday, I think.

8. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Unless there's some sort of inside joke I'm not getting, saying the exact opposite of what you're thinking without some hint of sarcasm isn't exactly "trolling".

9. SundayDrive555

Are you a fan of Top 40 music? I would say that I am and I strongly disagree with this.

10. Craig Manning

Good god no.

11. SundayDrive555

Exactly. Then maybe you should know better than to contextualize a song within a genre you clearly have no interest in.

12. Craig Manning

1. Top 40 is not a genre, it's a circumstance.
    2. You do not have to like a genre to have an opinion on it. I'm tired of talented artists and songwriters getting overlooked because of the power that radio and charts continue to have.
    3. I will comment on music in whatever way I damn please.
    4. You made a chlamydia joke in this thread so you have absolutely no place to police anyone else's posts.

13. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I guess what I don't understand is why it's so hard for people to take something for what it is. There's no sense in comparing this to Swiss Army Romance or any of his older work because it's literally not even trying to be remotely close to that.

Saying things like "How is this the same guy who wrote x, y, and z" is pointless because it's a completey different style of writing. It's not some failed attempt at recreating his early emo-tendencies, it's literally just a fun summer jam. It's not the end of the world if you don't like it lol

TedSchmosby likes this.
  14. SundayDrive555

It is most definitely a genre. We can call it mainstream pop if it's easier for you. I just hate when people dismiss entire genres in general. I know many of us are current and former pop-punk/ emo fans, so we know that feeling well.

Also, sorry about the chlamydia joke. I had no idea...

15. Craig Manning

To clarify, I think there is great pop music being made right now. I just don't think most of it gets played by radio. My comments are less about disparaging pop music in general and more about disparaging what radio embraces. I have this problem across all radio formats. For instance, I'm a huge country fan and have a big problem with country radio.

My initial comment wasn't directly specifically at Top 40, but at radio platforms for modern rock, country, and pop alike. It's my personal opinion that these formats are, mostly, playing bad music. Which is why I stand by my initial statement that I don't think this song reaches some epic level of terribleness compared with the other stuff that it sounds like.

16. Joseph Pilarski

I love this band so much I can stomach this but If I start hearing trap music from dashboard I'm out.

17. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Crazy to me seeing people try to diminish a two decades long career of talent because of one silly, one off song. Especially one that wasn't even written for Dashboard originally. You guys need to lighten up. Songs not very good in my opinion but that doesn't take anything away from all the excellent music Chris has written and I would not expect anything similar to this on any future Dashboard or Twin Forks albums.

duritzfan13 likes this.
  18. chilllll

Regular

i think everyone liked poison trees better than alter the ending. each newer cd is not as good as the last one

19. duritzfan13

all we have is time

uhhh definitely not.. alter the ending is miles ahead of shade

20. Craig Manning

Shade of Poison Trees kind of sucks.

21. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I like Shade but Alter is far far better

22. duritzfan13

all we have is time

In my opinion Shade always seemed like something that was churned out quickly to try and suppress the backlash of Dusk and Summer from the early fans. There's not much there for me to latch onto. It's the only DC record I could really say that about, and the only one I don't know every single word to. I don't hate it but it's the only one that's clearly my least favorite. "The Widow's Peak" is the standout IMO