Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dashboard Confessional – “KindaYeahSorta”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Dog Fish

Mutt

Christopher, Christopher, Christopher...

Oskarr, CMilliken and theasteriskera like this.
  3. SundayDrive555 Aug 3, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 3, 2018)
    SundayDrive555

Cringed so hard my body collapsed into itself. Is there a doctor in the forum?

But in all seriousness... how do you write Screaming Infidelities and Rapid Hope Loss as a kid and then write this Radio Disney garbage as an adult? Some bands don't know when to pack it in.

Ska Senanake, Brent, Sybil and 6 others like this.
  4. moura Aug 3, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 4, 2018)
    moura

Regular

[​IMG]

5. Is this really all that different from a cringe level?

6. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I mean...it's not the worst song I've ever heard. It's just bubblegum pop-punk that lacks any substance whatsoever.

7. SundayDrive555

Maybe not from an outsiders perspective, but the guys who wrote that music were being authentic to who they were. They were of the same scene as the kids that listened to their music.

This "kindayeahsorta" thing sounds like they were like, "Let's sound like 5 Seconds of Summer and maybe their fans won't look up our ages on wikipedia."

chilllll likes this.
  8. Older people said the same things online about that sound and song at the time. Claiming he wasn’t authentic and sold out and all of it. Authenticity is in the eye of the fan. I’ve read the exact same comments for like 20 years. Shoulda seen the stuff online around the Dusk and Summer era.

9. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Man and that song name had my expectations HIGH

studskalny and warriorsam like this.
  10. SundayDrive555

Yes, like you said it's in the "eye of the fan", hence my comments are my opinion. I can only judge based on feeling and my feeling was that back in the day this band was writing the type of music they'd want to listen to and I'd be hard pressed to believe that this type of music is what these guys are listening to today. It's possible I'm wrong on that... definitely wouldn't make the song any better if I was though.

For me a good indicator of authenticity is gradual progression. FOB for example made a smooth transition from their old style to where they're at now. You could feel their taste changing in real time and it always felt like they were doing their own thing even if it fits into the mainstream. This isn't the rule... tons of artists have drastic shifts that work perfectly. Again, it just comes down to a feeling.

11. MacbethSin

Regular

-.-

Desperately pretending I never heard this. Pure cringe

12. Dog Fish

Mutt

D/C should take a page from Blink's book and GROW UP! Write something mature like California.

13. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Whoa, can't unhear that. I honestly can't believe at this stage in his career that Chris would release something like this.

thechetearly and marsupial jones like this.
  14. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Aw man, I liked all of Crooked Shadows so I was hoping I would take to this, but I think it's really really bad. It seems like people are digging it in the comments though, that's cool

15. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I made it to 55 seconds somehow

h8bit likes this.
  16. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

California was "mature"?

17. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I approach it like this: Chris is a songwriter. He's a pro songwriter, writing as much for other people as he does for himself. And the key to doing that is to write all kinds of songs: serious songs, kitschy songs, country songs, jazz songs, whatever kind of song moves you in the moment.

This was intended to be someone else's song, but I guess he either liked it so much he kept it, or couldn't find a home for it. It's a one-off song released around a deliberately themed summer tour with a pop-punk band. I don't think it's any indication of what his future work is going to represent.

18. SundayDrive555

Yeah I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but I wouldn't call California mature... but I was willing to look the other way cause the songs on that are pretty decent.

Saephon likes this.
  19. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Well put

Saephon and h8bit like this.
  20. Dog Fish

Mutt

/s

21. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Does this song suck?

YesDefinitelyNoDoubt

this song should have no bearing on his past or future output and is just a "fun" song to release because why not, as @cricketandclover said lol

Brent likes this.
  22. heywassuphello

spare only the ones I love

i can't imagine writing/recording this and then sitting back listening & thinking to myself... "fuck yeah - this is good"

23. CMilliken

Trusted

Lol. Hope this was a sarcastic post. Can’t stand California. I honestly think the most “mature” Blink has ever sounded was on Neighborhoods and we all know how that was received. (Great album imo)

24. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

This just isn't good unfortunately.

Crooked Shadows had some classic Dashboard songs as well. I wonder if it's just a one off? Still weird how Chris has said he wrote loads of songs over the years but Crooked Shadows was quite short and left a lot to be desired in places.

25. LCT Music

Regular Supporter

I wouldn’t mind a second Twin Forks album in place of any future Dashboard stuff