Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Darren King Leaves Mutemath

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Drummer Darren King has left Mutemath. A message from the band can be found below.

pic.twitter.com/LVAB3RTbOJ

— MUTEMATH (@MUTEMATH) August 8, 2017

This is not easy, but I have to announce today that Darren King has decided to leave the band and as of now, will no longer be performing with Mutemath. I can't believe what I'm typing, but it is reality. I can promise you that we've worked relentlessly at trying to find a solution for an unbelievably challenging situation, but for now, I can only ask that everyone please give us the benefit of the doubt.

The past few weeks especially have had me on the ropes, debating whether to cancel everything or to find another drummer to tour with us in Darren's place. Both options are unimaginable to me, as you might guess. But here's what I'm sure of ... there's no way I want to end everything right here, right now, in an online statement.

It is out of complete love and respect for all of you who have committed time and resources to this band that we'd like to offer you our
    willingness to continue on and play our upcoming US and European shows. We've called on the only other drummer I'm confident to take the stage with to bring our songs to life, and he has graciously accepted and is currently rehearsing non-stop to properly honor the amazing work Darren has contributed to this band. I'm proud to say our dear friend, and stellar New Orleans drummer, David "Hutch" Hutchison has cleared his schedule to join us on the road for the rest of the year to make sure this new album and tour are represented top notch.

Mark my words, the Play Dead Live show will be INSANE, and our fifth studio album will still be released on 9/8 as scheduled. We're eternally grateful for all of you and look forward to seeing you soon. So many of you have been there with us through thick and thin, and I can't thank you enough.

Much love,
    Paul

2. heymattrick

Sending my love

Huge bummer. Their bassist just left a couple months ago as well. New album is out in a couple weeks.

3. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Say what?!?!?!?!

4. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Maybe he will be the new Say Anything drummer?!

beachdude42 and Aaron Mook like this.
  5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

He absolutely crushed it at their live show at Go Fest in Minneapolis on July 2nd; sucks to hear this news

6. Bass0820

I'd rather they keep Reed Murray instead.

7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Reed is awesome. Just spitballing!

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

No way that would happen but I did love his experimental drumming on IDTII.

beachdude42 and chewbacca110 like this.
  9. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

This doesn't sound like an amicable situation..especially with a new album and tour coming up. What's up, I wonder. Bassist, now drummer?

10. dlemert

Trusted

Oh man, Darren is one of my favorite drummers ever. This sucks, but I wish him the best.

11. SPine

Trusted

Dang, may skip their Cleveland show now...

12. bloodinthesand

Regular

Money...It's always money

13. Terry

Saw these guys at Warped 06. Darren was amazing, signed a cd for my brother, then ran all through the site getting the rest of the guys to sign. Total bummer.

Kuri44 likes this.
  14. Didn't realize the bassist had left also. Huge bummer. They probably made up my favorite rhythm section in recent memory.

15. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Sucks. I'm seeing them in like two weeks! First time in a decade, and now suddenly without Darren. Fuck sake.

16. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

Seeing them in LA, but this definitely lowers my excitement level.

17. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I don't wanna take anything away from how much each member of MuteMath brought to their live show, but Darren was a huge part of that. So many people I know talked about how much they looked forward to their sets just to stare at him throughout the majority of the show. I read this last night before going to bed and was instantly crushed. I'll be sure to follow anything else he does in his career because he's a rare talent.

18. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Damn, he is one of the more unique drummers out there today. I feel he really was a pivotal part of the band's sound.

19. bencoles

GLOW ON

Have tickets for the 23rd in London. Slightly surprised they plan to proceed with that show and the tour.

Equally I feel very fortunate to have seen them with Roy and Darren last January. All feels very strange and like others have said, they were both what made the band stand out in many ways.

20. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

This sucks sooooo bad.

21. xburningcoffin

KC

Gutted.