Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dark Waters (Todd Haynes, November 22, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Todd Haynes’ Movie ‘Dark Waters’ Will Start To Bubble In Late Fall – Deadline

Todd Haynes' 'Dark Waters' Lands November Release; Nisha Ganatra's 'Covers' to Open in Summer 2020

Focus and Participant Media teamed on the Haynes drama, which is based on the true story of environmental defense attorney Robert Bilott (Mark Ruffalo) as he took on chemical polluter DuPont. It was adapted most recently by Mario Correa and first writer Matthew Michael Carnahan from Nathaniel Rich’s New York Times Magazine article, “The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare.”

Also starring Anne Hathaway, Tim Robbins, Bill Camp, Victor Garber, Mare Winningham, William Jackson Harper, and Bill Pullman.

2. Anthony_

How was there not a thread for this already. Also this is the second DuPont-related movie Ruffalo has been in.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I was gonna make the thread but wasn't sure it would be released this year, hell yeah can't wait for my mom and dad to crush it

Anthony_ likes this.
  4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

don't love todd's work but goddamn this is a stacked cast

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Anthony_ likes this.
  6. phaynes12

love 2 mark

7. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Isnt this just another 'Erin Brockovich' ?

8. Anthony_

Eric Brokovich

9. Morrissey

Trusted

What don't you like about his work?

10. phaynes12

i should have prefaced it i guess with the work that i’ve seen, but i found velvet goldmine to be pretty scatterbrained with bad performances from three good to great actors; i’m not there, due to its structure, full of some great ideas and some stuff that was a bit underbaked; and wonderstruck to just be flat out bad. i realize carol is kind of thee one to check out, just haven’t seen it yet.

11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

very disappointing waste of everyone involved, especially haynes

12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Nooooo!!! I’ve been so excited.

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

for what it's worth, i could be in the minority of everyone who's seen it thus far. people i follow on LB have given it like 3.5 stars and such

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

3.5 being said as a positive does not make me feel better!

15. Morrissey

Trusted

This was fine. It is pretty typical material but Haynes keeps it from getting too melodramatic.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen Dec 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 14, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

Chidi playing someone unethical ruined me
    Arms Wide Open by Creed playing in a Todd Haynes movie is cinema
    it was definitely overly melodramatic and trying to be suspenseful at times and Anne Hathaway was wasted even if they kinda lampshaded the whole movie wife thing she was still just a wife
    curious what brought Todd Haynes to this, and interesting that this and Spotlight were both directed by people who made classic indies
    obviously this story was infuriating and I liked how they made sure to include the people who were being affected, and there was definitely more humanity than some other movies like this
    I could watch a whole movie about Bill Pullman's character

17. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Yeah Haynes is consistently way better than this but it’s not bad at all.

18. username

hey you lil piss baby

This was really solid. The narrative barely feels like a Todd Haynes film but he packed so much of his visual style into it. Very much feels like a film for Haynes auteurists. This passage about why it was the first film Haynes had to shoot all digital is fascinating.

gonz (Alex) likes this.
  19. atlas

Trusted

This is like a slightly less good version of The Insider but The Insider is one of the best movies of all time so you know, not a bad thing at all. Enraging. Very good movie

phaynes12 likes this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Loved May December but this was not nearly as good. Performances were a little all over the place. Overall pretty decent though. Got me freaked out about forever chemicals.