Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dark Universe (Universal Monster Franchise) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 23, 2017.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This will be the collective title for the Universal monster movie franchise. The first film in the series will be The Mummy. Russell Crowe is going to be the 'Nick Fury' of the world. Bride of Frankenstein will be the next film in the series and is set for early 2019.

At its organizing principle, Dark Universe films are connected by a mysterious multi-national organization known as Prodigium. Led by the enigmatic and brilliant Dr. Henry Jekyll, Prodigium’s mission is to track, study and—when necessary—destroy evil embodied in the form of monsters in our world. Working outside the aegis of any government, and with practices concealed by millennia of secrecy, Prodigium protects the public from knowledge of the evil that exists just beyond the thin membrane of civilized society…and will go to any length to contain it.

Universal has titled its new monster movie franchise the Dark Universe

2. Oh God.

3. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I thought the teaser was really cool including all the classics. I'm very interested to see where this goes personally.

4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I'm excited for it. I love the universal monster films.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

6. Davjs

Trusted

I think this is a really cool idea and from the cast they have, they are going all in. I really hope the Mummy does well so we can see the rest of these, which is the problem with setting something unproven up for a cinematic universe.

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I don't see The Mummy doing well.

8. Davjs

Trusted

Even with Tom Cruise and it's blockbuster movie feel? IMO it depends on what it is opening close to and against. If there is nothing for a few weeks, I could see it making some $$$

9. Yeah The Mummy looks like two hours of the first scene in X-Men Apocalypse, and nobody wants that.

10. Davjs

Trusted

I didn't get that from the trailers at all, it seemed to take place in current day. Also I thought the opening for Apocalypse was great. I wish the rest of the movie had kept that up.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

It comes out during week 2 of Wonder Woman and Captain Underpants. Domestically, it is going to squander. If it makes more than $30 mil I'd be surprised. I'm sure it will bank overseas tho.

12. Davjs

Trusted

Yikes! I don't know why movies don't space themselves out more than they do. Their loss I guess.

13. I love a good Tom Cruise action movie, but I also don't think The Mummy will do great. Being sandwiched between WW and Cars 3 does not bode well for it.

Davjs likes this.
  14. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Why they don't just wait and release this in September/October is beyond me. It's not like they are rushed. The next Dark Universe film isn't until Feb 2019

Davjs likes this.
  15. BackyardHero11

Trusted

16. 'The Mummy' Producer Says Phantom and Hunchback To Be Added to the Dark Universe

Pretty ambitious for a universe that hasn't even started yet and is being kicked off by a film that could very likely underwhelm at the box office. I'm seeing the Mummy on Fri. My work is taking us out, so I couldn't say no to a free ticket!

17. drewinseries

Drew

The way this has been marketed makes it seem like a Michael Bay version of The Mummy.

I LOVE the content and the idea of this, but really do not like what I've seen so far. Granted I haven't seen the movie, but frankly i'm just not that excited to.

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

19. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

"The Mummy" was bad. Basically felt like a two-hour trailer teeing up the franchise rather than an actual movie. Was all over the place when it came to tone. A really poor way to kick this whole thing off.

21. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

22. BackyardHero11

Trusted

when they first announced Cruise was doing The Mummy I was hoping it would be a return to like Interview With A Vampire era. I feel like there's a way to update and modernize the monster movies, while still focusing on what they should be, horror films.

I think i'll probably be entertained by this movie. it's going to success enough to not kill their universe, but if Bride of Frankenstein isn't liked, then it could be in trouble. I'm still looking forward to the universe of it, I think it could be rad, and it's not superheroes. I love superheroes, but I'm kind of more interested to see where this and the Godzilla/Kong world goes right now.

Davjs likes this.
  23. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I liked this idea better when it was called the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

24. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

You liked a league of extraordinary gentlemen?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  25. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I liked certain aspects of it. For example: it caused Sean Connery to retire. The movie single-handedly took a violent misogynist out of the spotlight. What's better than that?