Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dark Souls 3 Video Game • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Cameron, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I liked DS2 a fair amount, but that could have been cuz I co op'd it with a friend. Plus I was just coming off Bloodborne, and just discovering Souls

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Same. I love how it just changes on a dime to being about like Lovecraftian horrors. Plus all the characters and implications. I love that "Blood" and "Insight" are representative of the two big lore characters, Lawrence and Wilhem. It's just got such an interesting setting and creative ideas. Eileen, Alfred, Gascoigne, Durja, Gerhman, Maria, Mensis and others all have such interesting backstories and side quests and motivations. I've never been more horrified of a characters actions than how Alfred gloats over how he killed the Vileblood Queen in Cainhurst, how he goes into excruciating detail as to how he "killed" her by grinding her with the Logarious Wheel and "making her insides on the outside" the voice actor just has so much menace in his voice. You can see her remains bubbling and moving around which is even more horrifying. It's wonderful

Anthony_D'Elia and SpyKi like this.
  3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Souls games have top tier voice acting. Makes those moments even better. So many moments and images from that game are burned into my mind. It's also my favourite dlc of all time.

Anthony_D'Elia and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  4. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Dark Souls 1 DLC is my favorite. Hearing so much about the legend of Artorious throughout the game, only to go back in time and fight him (in the best fight of the entire series) was just so fucking cool. Kind of set a precedent for the other DLCs as well

5. SpyKi

Confession: I never played the Artorias DLC.

I think the Bloodborne DLC is perfect though and adds so much to that game.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  6. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

DUDE. PLAY IT.

It's soooo good. It adds so much to the game. BB DLC is second only to Artorious DLC.

7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Like its THE most important story/lore information of the Dark Souls world.

8. SpyKi

I'll probably get around to it at some point.

9. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah The Old Hunters is wonderful. Lady Maria is one of the most interesting and sad characters in a Souls game. I love that she's the clear inspiration for The Doll and, I'm not sure what triggers this, but when she visceral attacks sometimes she'll kiss you on the cheek.

A corpse....should be left well alone

SpyKi likes this.
  10. CoffeeEyes17

its funny, after interacting with Djura and realizing WHY he attacks you in Old Yharnam he went from being a character I despised because of how difficult he is, to a character I adore because he seems to be the kindest of all the hunters. He just wants the nightmare to stop and the beastly citizens to be left alone.

Contender likes this.
  11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

BB > DS1 > DS3 > DS2 > DeS

For me, Bloodborne is a game where I immediately recognized I was playing one of the greatest games ever made as I was playing it. Had the same feeling the first time I played through games like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI. It's so good it almost defies explanation. And yes, the lore in BB is, as a whole, overall the best of the series for sure.

Also DS3 was my GOTY last year so that it's only third best in this series speaks volumes about how good these games all are.

SpyKi and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

i can pretty safely say that, much like Yahtzee and the Prince Of Persia series, the Soulsborne series is my favorite collection of games of all time with Bloodborne being my favorite game of all time.

by the way im so fucking dumb it just hit me tonight that the Palebloods are Bloodbornes version of vampires. Its interesting how Miyazaki took the "vampires vs werewolves" trope and made it his own haha.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  13. SpyKi

I think the Zelda series is still my favourite despite Bloodborne being my favourite game. Soulsborne is probably second now though.

14. Anthony_

There aren't many series more consistently good than Soulsborne, that's for sure. Soulsborne has done five flat-out incredible games in a relatively short time span. It's impressive. I'd put Zelda and Mario both up there as well, if you're restricting them solely to their core titles. I personally always say Zelda is the greatest games franchise ever, in terms of its overall quality-to-number of games ratio, but that's just my opinion.

15. SpyKi

I think when you add the timeframe it's even more impressive. They made all five of those in less time than it took Square to make Final Fantasy XV.

16. CoffeeEyes17

Soulsborne are The Smiths of video games. Short time span of about 5-6 years and pumped out 5 of the best games and some of the best DLC of all time.

Contender, SpyKi and Anthony_ like this.
  17. Anthony_

Oh, for sure. 100% agreed.

18. SpyKi

very good analogy, haha. Also very influential.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  19. CoffeeEyes17

Had no idea Alfred was also voiced by the same guy that did Solaire. I like that Alfred is kind of set up as being the Solaire of Bloodborne, he seems pretty charming and friendly, he mentions cooperating and helping since thats what Hunters do, and he just seems like hes really there to help you.

Until.....

Once you give him the Cainhurst summons and you go to find him standing there in his executioners armor, borderline mad as he gloats over the mangled goo that used to be the Vileblood queen. Its fucking chilling.

"There, you filthy monstrosity! What good's your immortality now! Try stirring up trouble in this sorry state! All mangled and twisted, with every inside on the outside, for all the world to see!"

Anthony_D'Elia and SpyKi like this.
  20. CoffeeEyes17

Going back to Dark Souls 3 because it's wonderful and I want to do everything I can and get all the armor sets because FashionSouls

Has it ever been confirmed that the last boss of the main game is in fact our Chosen Undead from DS1? I know it's pretty strongly implied especially with it channeling Gwyns power in the second phase. Maybe it's just a fun fan theory.

21. SpyKi

I think the last boss is supposed to be a combination of all the people who linked the fire, including our character from DS1.

22. CoffeeEyes17

That makes sense

SpyKi likes this.
  23. CoffeeEyes17

Anri :( I forgot how emotional their storyline is. Generally, in my own head canon since I'm a huge lore nerd, I tend to play male characters in the Souls games and a woman in Bloodborne (i like to think my hunter is a distant relative of Maria) so for me Anri is usually a woman and whomever it is that does her voice does a wonderful job. Shes one of very, very few Souls NPCs that genuinely seem to care about our player character and shes just very sweet. Shame how her quest ends so sadly.

On the flipside Eygons a real asshole

SpyKi likes this.
  24. CoffeeEyes17

I forgot just how many references to the other two DaS games there are. Not just items and npcs but even areas, like it seems like Smouldering Lake is Lost Izalith somehow collapsed onto Queelags domain (since you can fine her body and a pyromancy tomb) which also somehow fell into Ash Lake. Seems like Farron Keep and the surrounding swamp is whats left of Oolacile, and of course theres obvious ones like Anor Londo and theres even a reference to Earthen Peak in one of the DLCs. Its just neat that these games are very much connected and taking part in the same story, but theyre just vague enough to not give us a clear picture. The only thing I kinda roll my eyes at as far as DaS lore is concerned is when Solaire in the first game says "the flow of time itself is convoluted" which feels like a safety net for things that just dont logically make sense, but thats w/e tbh.

Anyways I'm at Deacon Of The Deep and im having a blast going back through. I forgot just how brutal the beginning levels of this game can be.

25. Anthony_

Damn all this is making we want to play through these games again haha. I have too big of a backlog to do it though, need to stay disciplined.

CoffeeEyes17 and SpyKi like this.