Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dark Phoenix (Simon Kinberg; June 7, 2019) Movie • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Nov 14, 2018.

1. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

2. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

That seems about right. I've never been to an opening night "fan event" that was as empty as Dark Phoenix was. Only about half the seats were sold

3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That sucks. At the very least, this was better than “Secret Life of Pets.” But there are far more superhero movies than movies aimed at kids.

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Which is funny 'cause one could argue "superhero movies" should be "movies aimed at kids."

5. Tim

I love Alexandra Shipp & wish her time as Storm weren't cut short before it really took off. :storm: Love her excitement over discovering Ed Piskor's stuff.

6. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

She's so awesome. I am also bummed we won't see more of her as Storm

7. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I genuinely don't understand why he was given the opportunity to adapt this storyline twice over. The guy clearly has no idea what he's doing

8. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

9. Davjs

Trusted

received_2730341936982519.jpeg

10. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Lmao

GrantCloud likes this.
  11. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This is bombing worse than I would have ever imagined

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I can't speak for this but I thought Turner was the worst part of Apocalypse. I am one of those weirdos that thinks Lawrence hasn't been that bad. I think Banshee was probably the best of the young ones since they rebooted. I hated Cyclops and Night crawler. Storm and Jubilee were fine but they didn't actually do anything so I'll reserve judgement.

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

After this, Simon Kinberg should either:

A) Become the new mastermind of the revamped / rebooted DCEU

or

B) Adapt the X-Men Dark Phoenix story-line a third time only with an even larger budget this time

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Fuck Grace Randolph

15. Tim

The characterizations & arcs are so hit or miss in this (the way Hank & Erik flip between caring about Jean to wanting her dead to fighting for her was certainly clunky), but I've found myself thinking more than once about how much I dug how this handled Charles.

It'd be easy to err either way in making Chuck a hero or a villain in his whole relationship to Jean. Or, even to err in both directions simultaneously. The handling of Tony Stark in Age of Ultron & Homecoming, for example, really went for him being responsible for some awful stuff w/out really knowing how to hold him accountable.

Personally, though, I thought Charles in this movie was a very real, very relatable example of a mentor who genuinely had good intentions & cared for someone when she needed it, but also genuinely fucked up, hurting people he was accountable for & needing to accept responsibility for that behavior. I don't know about y'all, but I know people I love who've fit that description, particularly in church ministry, & I've been learning how to better see that in my own history. The extremes are valid & not uncommon, yes. But, dang, real life also has people who can't 100% vilified, with real emotions (I love that, when he was called out, his own loss & hurt was acknowledged w/out being treated as an excuse), yet also have to reckon w/ their failures in a just manner.

It's a small detail, but I love that Charles doesn't end the film as the headmaster. He repents & is forgiven, but at least in this particular iteration, he can no longer keep doing what he was doing. (Sure, he hands off the role to an attempted murderer, but hey, the film's rough. We know this. lol.) His redemptive journey includes letting go of that which he didn't live up to.

Zilla, ECV and justin. like this.
  16. Yeah while watching this, i kept thinking about how, earlier this year, Shazam had a truly elementary take on morality, who is good and who is bad what that means. The way this presented the "good guys" and the "bad guys" was a lot more interesting to me, especially with Charles and Erik.

17. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Just sat for this and there are less than 10 people in an IMAX theater, this shit is dire. If this is the same level of messy as apocalypse I’ll be content.

18. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

I'll take Dark Phoenix over Apocalypse any day.

Jusscali likes this.
  19. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Ehhhhhhh. That’s my review.

20. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I did not hate this at all. Some clunky as hell stuff for sure and Chastain is utterly useless but I actually kind of enjoyed it. Sophie Turner KILLED this role minus a few awkward lines. Waaaaaay better than the last one.

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

there are 6 other people in this theater, even on discount ticket night.

23. Davjs

Trusted

Stretch out and lay across a row.

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

This seems to be making a huge loss

25. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious