Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dark Phoenix (Simon Kinberg; June 7, 2019) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I honestly think MCU is mostly shit and even the ones I hear are the best like Ragnarock are still just not entertaining to me almost at all. I barely made it through that one.

Contender likes this.
  2. tvck

Trusted

big yikes

beachdude and Maybevictor like this.
  3. Davjs

Trusted

I'd place DOFP and Logan in my top comic book movies of all time, but I can't say all the Russo films +Ragnarock, Spiderman, Antman and Black Panther aren't really well done. Love them all.

beachdude and Letterbomb31 like this.
  4. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

The MCU has borderline perfect casting. I can’t think of one miscast minus the ancient one for obvious reasons

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I try not to comment too much on what other people aren't into these days. Or, at least not in certain ways, if they don't lead to what I personally consider fun conversation. I get a ton of joy out of a third of Marvel Studios' output, & at least some fun out of almost all of it, but different strokes, etc.

Personally, the only Fox Marvel films in my top tier of comic films are X2 & Logan. But, I also find First Class completely unappealing & forgettable outside of the Magneto stuff, so yeah. And, I love Venom & Andrew Garfield Spider-Man. :shrug2: People like what they like & don't connect to what they don't connect to.

6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, for sure. Everybody has their own tastes in stuff, so it's all good.

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Speaking of not connecting - this sucked.

8. Tim

What did you like & not like about this? How well do the trailers & clips online communicate the vibe of the film? And, what's your general opinion of prior X-Men films?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot, lol.

9. Davjs

Trusted

Also what's your rankings of the Xmen films?

10. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Being that X-Men is one of my favorite things in life, I'll always have a soft spot for the movies even if they are bad (not counting Wolverine Origins) haha. Looking forward to Thursday night

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Spoiler free thoughts:

I still have a lot of love for McAvoy and Fassbender’s commitment to this, no matter how ridiculous it is. Fassbender gets in a magical hand fight with Sophie Turner and still sells the hell out of it. That still works for me. And Nicolas Hoult is alright even though he hasn’t been given much since “First Class.”

The best part is when the movie focuses on the relationship between Xavier and Jean Grey. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen the OG trilogy, but I don’t remember that being a big plot and there’s an interesting dynamic there and theme about blocking out childhood trauma. But this doesn’t know how to navigate it.

The rest of the cast I don’t care about. Sophie Turner is fine, but doesn’t have the presence to anchor a big budget film like this. Lawrence couldn’t be more checked out. Ready Player One is pretty one note as Scott. And the rest are so paper thin that they don’t even register.

The trailer does give you a good idea of what to expect - mildly exciting action sequences, Jean Grey wrecking stuff, people yelling at her to not wreck stuff. All of its shot through a super dark filter.

The only way this isn’t as bad as “Apocalypse” is that it automatically accepts the villain is uninteresting as hell. It doesn’t even bother to give them more than a minute of backstory. And besides some of Magneto’s nameless cronies, there’s no new mutants introduced.

And I love X2 and DOFP, like X1 and Logan, kinda eh on First Class and The Wolverine and thumbs down on Last Stand.

12. Tim

Thanks for all of that.

Based on my response to most of the marketing material, & my expectations, I still think there's a good chance I like this, but it's a bummer that they apparently couldn't stick the landing on their last one of these on a craft level. Even if it's not surprising. Oh well.

Zilla likes this.
  13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

For sure. I’m always interested to hear how other people react. Hope it’s a better experience for other people.

14. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Should’ve just ended with DOFP and Logan. Put that nice little bow on Fox’s X-men.

I’ve always thought that, outside of Fassbender and McAvoy, every other character was horribly miscast from First Class onward.

15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Does the film have a definite conclusion being that it’s the end of the franchise?

16. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yes

17. Tim

Saw a clip online where Mystique said some super clunky "X-Women" callout to Xavier, which felt very Hollywood dude #woke #feminism. I really hope that & the previously released clip of Chastain's character talking to Jean are the only clumsy attempts at commenting on gender.

Everything else thus far looks either genuinely good or charmingly not good to me, but man, surface level wokeness is so tedious anymore, lol. I almost prefer subtly problematic media to inadequate commentary sometimes.

beachdude and TEGCRocco like this.
  18. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

This seems like the type of movie I'll definitely see only because I have AMC A-List. I've already paid for it, so I might as well see it. Otherwise, I'd be hesitant on dropping $15-20 on it since the thoughts on it are so mixed.

19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Like "Hellboy," it's pretty much the reason A-List exists, so people don't feel as guilty dropping money on it.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  20. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Davjs likes this.
  21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Re-watching “Apocalypse,” it’s pretty amazing how much teeing up they did for Psylocke only for her to not appear in this. Apparently, Munn was busy with “Predator.”

beachdude and Davjs like this.
  22. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yeah I was looking forward to what else they'd do with her. Oh well

23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

You've pretty much convinced me not to see this, ha. Unless everyone else comes out and says it's brilliant I think I'll wait until it comes out on DVD.

24. Inna1998

Fan of comics

For me, Dark Phoenix is the most iconic comic book groups of all time. I think it's going to be one of the most interesting movies.

25. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

But if they totally fuck it up...

beachdude and awakeohsleeper like this.