Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dark Phoenix (Simon Kinberg; June 7, 2019) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Nov 14, 2018.

1. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

In my ideal world, they'd start with Scott leading and keep the trajectory the character had starting with Astonishing X-Men/House of M where he went from leading the X-Men to basically being the leader of all mutants and started heading down a darker path (reforming X-Force, being more willing to sacrifice lives for the bigger picture etc.). Somewhere in there, have Storm take leadership of the X-Men because she doesn't agree with the path Scott is taking the team. You could do that with Storm leading from the get-go, but it's more impactful I think with Scott as the first leader/Xavier's protege.

Davjs likes this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

You and Tim need to stop with all this because whatever we end up getting won't live up to what I have in my mind now.

awakeohsleeper and TEGCRocco like this.
  3. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I would kill for a trilogy where Cyclops becomes disillusioned with Xavier and really strikes it out as leader of the mutants.

TEGCRocco likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I think that kinda arc would be more fulfilling in movie form if it started w/ Scott joining the X-Men. Follow the whole journey, from him & Alex joining an X-Men roster w/ Jean & Lorna, clashing w/ an evil Emma Frost, to Scott rising up into leadership, to Alex & Lorna becoming disillusioned & leaving, to some Phoenix and/or Corsair stuff, to eventually Scott & Emma doing their own thing.

Though, also... Potentially controversial opinion: I wouldn't mind an X-Men film completely w/out Xavier or Magneto after how much these films have over-focused on them. Like, seriously, the end of Apocalypse was the first time since Last Stand that I felt like we actually kinda had an X-Men team. As much as I don't want Wolverine to be the central character of another X-Men film, I'm actually a lot less burnt out on him than I am Charles.

awakeohsleeper and SpyKi like this.
  5. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I think X-Men as a franchise is something that would just work better as a TV show than a movie series. Most of the best arcs are something that need a fair amount of buildup and that's something that just isn't really feasible through movies.

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'd read @Tim s screenplay

coleslawed, awakeohsleeper and Tim like this.
  7. Tim

I dunno, I'm a firm believer that good filmmakers can make it work just fine. Marvel Studios' model has more missteps than a lot of fans admit, but at their best, they've been great at adapting ongoing stories into fulfilling standalone films that just happen to be part of a larger ongoing universe.

Though, maybe have Uncanny X-Men films, & then like X-Factor or whatever as a television series, would work. It'd probably have to be a Disney+ series so it can actually interact w/ the films, but it'd be a great way to have your cake & eat it, too. Our talk of who we wanna see shows that the bench is deep enough to support both, lol.

8. Tim

9. Tim

I'm apparently just gonna be obsessed w/ this movie between now & it actually coming out, apparently. Oh well.

Anyways, funny how all the tv spots I've seen online (& a couple times actually on tv, which I don't really watch these days) call the film "X-Men: Dark Phoenix" in spite of the onscreen title still officially being just "Dark Phoenix" (at least domestically). And, there's a big X-Men circled x symbol behind the name. Makes sense from a marketing perspective, Disney/Fox is smart to do so, but at the same time, I'm still a big fan of how the minimalist title feels. It colors my relationship to the film in a specific, positive way. *shrug*

Part of me does hope it somehow miraculously does well, even though it totally ain't getting a sequel either way. I feel a weird underdog draw to the film's success, outside of my draw to the film itself out of franchise nostalgia.

Contender likes this.
  10. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I think just getting even on costs is the goal for Fox/Disney here. Just about a week ago, tracking had it at $50 million opening weekend. Either way, the bigger slap in the face will be coming in 2nd to Secret Life of Pets 2.

11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The Chinese poster for Dark Phoenix

824E9DDB-1408-4DD7-8C33-9AED8F4C7D80.jpeg

beachdude, Nick, JeanRalphio and 5 others like this.
  12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

why is that 10x better than this movie could ever be

beachdude and Davjs like this.
  13. Tim

This Thursday. So ready to finally get this unpopular little thing into my life.

Saw on Cinemark's app that this is only 113min? Weird, but also kinda exciting, tbh. Tired of these chasing that 3-hour mark. I the Phoenix Saga is supposed to be big & epic & blah blah blah, but I'm all for something much tighter, especially since it seems pretty devoid of meaningless subplots.

Also, don't think it's been called out here yet, but that music video I posted the other week totally features a cameo from Dazzler in her ORIGINAL comics-accurate look. I'm sure she'll have a minute of screen time, if that, & no dialogue, but I'm all about that cameo.

ghostedaway likes this.
  14. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

They should start this movie with the last song from the score of Infinity War ("Porch") playing as the 20th Century Fox logo, TSG Entertainment archer, and Bad Hat Harry logos come up and dust away.

15. Tim

BDEFBD3B-521D-48D7-B483-5B17E577B488.gif

16. flask

Trusted Supporter

When I saw Godzilla they showed TWO trailers for this now I have a personal vendetta against it.

17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’m excited to see this. It will be bittersweet watching Fassbender and McAvoy leave their characters behind but both of them had a good run.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

No reviews yet - I bet it is even more of a shit show than Apocalypse, which was an abomination.

19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It doesn't screen until tonight. I'll share some unspoilery thoughts when I get back.

20. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I can't imagine them rectifying the ship and getting this right. I'm just not sold on Sophie as Jean either.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  21. Tim

I feel like there's no way this is even half as bad as Apocalypse. A different kind of bad, maybe, but not worse.

The lack of screenings & reviews 'til this week certainly isn't a good sign for the studio's confidence in this film, but I'm still hopeful that *I* personally dig it for what it is.

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’m expecting one of the biggest complaints to be that it’s nothing new. Aside from Mystique dying this film doesn’t look like it’s offering anything new to the table.

Only the people who have an interest in the actors/characters or this franchise will enjoy it as a goodbye.

23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I don’t know if it’s a hot take to say that overall, I think the X-Men universe has had better casting choices and overall, better actors than the MCU. The Stewart/McKellen and Fassbender/McAvoy dynamics were perfect for Xavier and Magneto.

It’s shame the franchise is bogged down in nonsensical timeline and some terrible sequels. It deserves a proper send-off, but I feel like Disney just wants to wash their hands of it so they can start making their own stuff.

beachdude and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I think the casting is better as well, but I think the highs of the X-Men franchise is way, way better than the highs of the MCU movies. I don't think anything in the MCU that I've seen comes close to something like Days of Future Past or Logan.

25. Davjs

Trusted

ohhhhh, I never thought about it that way. I probably agree, but love the MCU way more because it's so much more consistent and so much more of that, so it's unfair to compare.