Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dark Phoenix (Simon Kinberg; June 7, 2019) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Nov 14, 2018.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

"I always thought there was something interesting about Charles trying to control something that becomes uncontrollable,"Kinberg says when asked why he's revisiting the idea of Professor X using his powers to cover up some big moments in Jean's past.

"And given that this movie is intended to be a modern film about an empowered female character, I felt I had to do that and not just touch on what Charles does to her but expose that and even vilify it."

It does sound that could be what he is going for but may miss it if the dialogue ends up being cheesy and not fully fleshed out.

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

there were highlights in Apocalypse?

3. Davjs

Trusted

Metallica's Four Horsemen, Quicksilver scene and everything Magneto were highlights!

Zilla likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This is the one true highlight of Apocalypse:

Sucks so much that Lana Condor was too busy w/ To All the Boys and/or Deadly Class (forget which one) to be in Dark Phoenix. Jubilee rules, should not have been written out of Apocalypse halfway through, & would've doubled my already above-average anticipation for this weird little X-Men finale.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  5. Davjs

Trusted

I had no idea she wasn't in it for scheduling conflicts. That does super suck she was cut out of the last one and couldn't even make it for this one. Boo.

At the end of this movie series, she will have only been a background character in a handful of the movies....

6. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

This is why MCU's first X-Men film needs to be the live action version of Night of the Sentinels

jkauf likes this.
  7. Davjs

Trusted

Like the animated series from the 90s? I'd be super down.

It would fit in with how they did the MCU Spiderman where he's already established so you don't need a ton of the film on set up.

justin. likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

ugh why haven't i watched Deadly Class

9. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yup!

Davjs likes this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

[​IMG]

I'd be pretty happy to see this, of course with Jean and Jubilee.

ghostedaway likes this.
  11. Tim

My nonnegotiable core that I want in a rebooted X-Men is Jubilee as point of view character, Storm as team leader, & Wolverine as fan-favorite supporting character who doesn't drive the narrative.

Whoever else I'd include would be based on a mix between who hasn't gotten their due on screen yet (or in a while) & who would be compelling additions in terms of team dynamic. For example, while Beast is a top ten mutant for me, I'd rather give him a rest for now & instead use Forge in a similar role. Rogue & Gambit could be a dope pair to throw in, especially if Rogue first appears in a Captain Marvel or Avengers movie to get her powers from Carol.

awakeohsleeper, Davjs and ghostedaway like this.
  12. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

For some reason I didn't even think of Rogue for Captain Marvel 2. Now I need it to happen

awakeohsleeper and Davjs like this.
  13. Tim

Oh yeah, & the main antagonist would be Emma Frost, who'd be competing w/ Storm in trying to recruit Jubilee. With plans for Emma to eventually joining the X-Men.

And/or Callisto w/ the whole Morlocks thing.

awakeohsleeper, ghostedaway and Davjs like this.
  14. Tim

Between Rogue, Alpha Flight, & SWORD, Carol Danvers is actually a pretty organic character for introducing some X-Men concepts.

Davjs and ghostedaway like this.
  15. Davjs

Trusted

I love everything about what's being said right now.

ghostedaway likes this.
  16. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I agree with this except I need to see Scott as the proper team leader. Even if it's just for one movie. Maybe it's just because I'm ride or die for Cyclops Was Right, but Scott has one of the most compelling character arcs in Marvel and seeing him be sidelined for close to 20 years in the movies has stung a bit. The closest I've gotten to a good Cyclops adaptation was X-Men Evolution

Allpwrtoslaves likes this.
  17. Tim

I understand. I love Cyclops. But, Storm is my second favorite mutant & a top tier Marvel comics character.

Plus, I don't think they can resist doing the whole discrimination allegory thing, & if I have to sit through another one of those centering white & white-passing straight characters, I'm gonna stab my eyes out, lol.

18. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

That's fair. Cyclops is my favorite comics character period, but I see your point. If it's not gonna be Cyclops, Storm is definitely my second choice (just don't want it to be Wolverine lol). They could have the best of both worlds by having Storm lead the X-Men and Scott lead X-Factor/some other spin-off team (or vice versa) kinda like what they did in the 80s, but that could be over saturating the market so I don't know

19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Tim likes this.
  20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I would like to see an actual Cyclops in the MCU. I do not recognize Cyclops in the Fox films.

He doesn’t have to be the leader but I would be pretty disappointed if he isn’t in a portion of an X-Men film.

21. Tim

I really think I'm going to like this movie...

justin. and TEGCRocco like this.
  22. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Yeah, I know pretty much everyone on the internet has already decided this movie is awful, but most of what I've seen has gotten me excited ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

23. tvck

Trusted

I can't wait

Davjs likes this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

I've loved stories with both Cyclops and Storm leading, so I'd be happy with either. I assume the Xmen are going to be getting multiple films in the MCU as well as crossing over into other movies, so I wonder if maybe they could start with one leading and throughout the movies have them set up the other to lead? The best of both worlds maybe?

tvck likes this.
  25. tvck

Trusted

Regardless of how bad Apocalypse was, I've really enjoyed this iteration of the X-Men universe. I truly hope that Marvel can really do the X-Men and F4 justice down the road when they are ready.

Davjs likes this.