Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dark Phoenix (Simon Kinberg; June 7, 2019) Movie • Page 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Nov 14, 2018.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Apocalypse is the sole reason I didn't see it. Even if it wasn't as bad, I couldn't cope with the disappointment. I kind of wanted to just because I love X-Men but with all the other movies I didn't have time and relegated in my head to seeing it when it inevitably appears on a streaming service.

2. I really dug this? I did not care for the villain. Idk if you could or how you'd re-work the story to exclude the aliens, but all the time spent with the Chastain character was time I wish I was spending with the X-Men, especially since we'll never get to see them again with this cast.

3. Finally watched this last night. I had pretty mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I thought the story of Jean, her parents and Charles was pretty good. I also thought McAvoy was really doing his best Walter White in some scenes.

On the other hand I feel like there were beats in the story missing, like Jean and the search to find her went from 0 to 100 real quick.

All in all it was decent but not something I can imagine revisiting a ton of times down the line.

4. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Thought the movie was super dull, and I went in wanting to like it.

Surprisingly, the score was really good, of all things.

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yeah, 'cause Hans Zimmer did it, & got into it enough that, in addition to the official score, he also put out an album of other material he wrote for the film.

This film really had a lot going for it, enough that I still love it for the flawed (but, imo, still unfairly panned) oddity that it is. Such a shame that, in spite of the delays, it was ultimately still another draft away from a truly good film. Though, I'll always wonder how it would've gone had a few of the what ifs (Psylocke, Jubilee, Skrulls, final alien fleet) materialized.

Alba likes this.
  6. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I rewatched it the other day and honestly liked it more than I did in theaters

7. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

That explains a lot, actually.

I would love to see what the original ending plan was.

8. Tim

Bought this blu ray between jobs, looking forward to revisiting this tonight after work.

ghostedaway likes this.
  9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. Kuri44

This wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. If had it’s flaws, but I enjoyed it a lot more than Apocalypse

11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, just finished, wasn’t great but was expecting way worse.

12. Serh Dec 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 13, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah i’m like 40 minutes in and this isn’t the worst movie ever filmed yet

coleslawed likes this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

for what it's worth i'm only watching this in case there are future films that'd make sense after watching this

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

yeesh. it's better than its reputation but it's a joyless slog for the most part. jessica chastain is sleepwalking through this like she knows how bad it is. i'll admit that jean grey was good, or at least she's giving it the best she can, as are (of course) mcavoy and fassbender. dialogue is also really bad. wish i knew. "you're not like other doctors/patients" should've been the first red flag, and don't get me started on x-women. it's only not definitively a bottom 3 x-men for me because i haven't seen origins beyond the first ten minutes.

and i didn't feel nearly anything when mystique was killed. it was like i skimmed past something that might've expounded on things more clearly

15. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

It’s the last Fox X-Men film, so it will effect nothing.

16. Tim

Still more enjoyable than Spider-Man: Far From Home to me. *shrug*

17. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I dunno. Neither were that great to me. I need to rewatch both. I haven’t seen either since the theater.

18. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Interesting. I might end up watching this.

19. Jusscali

I liked FFH better than SM H

20. Tim

Far From Home is my current least favorite film based on the Spider-Man property & is frustratingly misguided & vanilla & lifeless in so many ways that baffle me based on the characters & cast involved. For more of my thoughts, check out my posts in that thread, lol.

But, yeah, Dark Phoenix is in that category of charmingly rough genre films for me. Some cringey lines & boring elements, but something about it works for me. My opinion of it has only grown recently, as the realization that, for better or for worse, reckless Marvel films like this won't be able to happen any more has sunk in. My precious baby Sony is the final holdout, & based on the way the Disney PR machine weaponized fandom around Spider-Man, I'm not convinced that's gonna last.

Nick likes this.
  21. Jusscali

This is harmless. Not great but not offensive either. Apocalypse is miles worse than this.

Tim likes this.
  22. Jusscali

If anything is to be said is that it just wastes so many good actors and characters for the sake of...not much else happening lol. I’ll characterize this is a missed opportunity and not a complete failure

23. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Watching this finally... so sad that this is the end of a long x-men run. I just wish we could get back to the highs of X2 or Logan. Do them right, too many work arounds with Mystique having to be the main character basically.

Kuri44 likes this.
  24. Jusscali

It just felt so underdeveloped and lacking a legit story?

25. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

So far it kind of feels like last stand reboot minus Wolverine and magneto