Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dark Ambient/Noise/Power Electronics/Industrial Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, May 9, 2017.

1. PauLo May 9, 2017
    (Last edited: May 9, 2017)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

Been getting into a lot of this stuff recently. Stuff like Wolf Eyes, John Weise, Pharmakon, Puce Mary. For me, the harsher the better. I have only just started dipping my toes into it. And i've given a few older acts a go, in particular Whitehouse.

Anyone got any other recs?

2. PauLo

43% Burnt

I wanna get into Merzbow, but his discography is mental. No idea where to start.

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Sub. No recs rn but this has been my lane for a month or so.

4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

excited to check out the new Perc LP

5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I have the same issue. any help would be appreciated

6. PauLo

43% Burnt

I just went on soulseek and d/l a shit tonne haha.

Need to go back and listen to his last one again. Got a feeling i'll enjoy it more this time round.

7. Horrorca

Trusted

get 1930 - it's amazing

many will say Pulse Demon and it's good too...

also some of my fav artists... Prurient, Kevin Drumm, Yellow Swans and Hair Police

8. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

10. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

My band did shrooms on Tuesday and while deep in it we did an impromptu dark noise set in our practice space that absolutely opened my head lol. Makes me want to look into these genres more now that I maybe understand what I should be listening for

amorningofsleep likes this.
  11. Horrorca

Trusted

hey! who would have thought! high five : )

12. cwhit

i'm truly curious the mindset someone gets in when they're like "hey, i'm going to sit down and listen to a full three hours of prurient"

this isn't meant to be a criticism of prurient's material, more of, well, when someone would want to actually partake in this haha

13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

yeah like, I like parts of his records but I mean, does the album come with anti-depressants? I feel like I would just be emotionally drained

14. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I like the fact that this thread exists.

15. Horrorca

Trusted

so I guess you guys stay away from things like books and movies that are not "happy"...

because you know, you can only do 10 mins of it... or whatevs...

it is part of the human experience and some people engage with such things

16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

lol yeah I dont read books

180 minutes of noise is a lot, don't be dense. I liked Frozen Niagra but it does get grating for me in it's entirety so I can imagine this will be an exhausting listen especially since it seems it won't have any of his melodic/synth/techno tendencies to break it up

17. cwhit

the not happy part has nothing to do with it to me, don't put words in my mouth

it's music that is harsh, hard to absorb, and intense. what mindsets do you have to be in to have a focused three hours of that? i'm not judging, just genuinely curious

18. Horrorca

Trusted

well this is supposed to be ambient/drone - so not that hard to swallow

harsh noise is not for everyone and not for any time - I sure as hell need to focus on it and concentrate and that's something that doesn't happen any given day

you also don't have to consume all of it in a single sitting (as opposed to say books, where you have to live with the thing for a long while)

so you avoid harsh, hard to absorve and intense art in general? not criticism, just trying to understand

19. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

No, but I don't think I've ever listened to a three hour album regardless of genre. Like I said, I like him and am actually hoping to enjoy this - you're just talking about one of the longest albums in recent memory in the most inaccessible genre I can think of as if it should be an easy pill to swallow. This sort of music definitely has its place or I wouldn't be here, but I think being intimidated by 180 minutes of harsh sonics really has nothing to do with an ability to appreciate difficult or "not happy" art

brandon_260, Gjpeace and cwhit like this.
  20. cwhit

yup this

like, has someone listened to the entire disintegration loops series in one listen? i'm sure they have. but like, you must be one intense music listener if you did that

amorningofsleep likes this.
  21. amorningofsleep

I got through the first one in a slow day at work.

22. cwhit

but that's just one! what about like, the first three at once

that's basically this album

23. amorningofsleep

Yeah. There's zero chance in fuck I'm absorbing all of that in one sitting.

cwhit likes this.
  24. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

@Horrorca have you heard this? don't know if you fuck with techno at all but one of my favorite albums in the genre of the past few years and it definitely partially fits in here

thenewtypetheory likes this.
  25. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

One time during foreplay I had Music on shuffle and a Prurient song came on

amorningofsleep and cwhit like this.