Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Daredevil (Netflix) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

That is disconcerting to hear. I am on episode 3 and I dig it so far. I really like Berenthal as Punisher.

2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I just started 11 and a lot is coming together.

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I had issue with the reveal of the Blacksmith. It made ZERO sense. It just seemed like a lazy way to take things full circle.

And the end of the season was soooo silly.

4. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

I can understand what people say about the graveyard scene, I saw it in more of a surreal element. A very self aware scene if you will.

5. suburban myth

Rock-n-Roll Pizzeria Prestigious

I actually enjoyed episode four even more - but so far, I'm only to the fifth episode.

6. suburban myth

From the fourth episode? I haven't read anything about it, yet - what's being said?

7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I haven't seen anything said about it but I said on AP that Daredevil looks ridiculous as hell when the camera switches to his goofy mask while The Punisher's giving one of the most emotional, serious monologues the show has had.

suburban myth likes this.
  8. suburban myth

Ah - yeah I actually had read that (stupidly) before I saw the episode & then had that in my head when it was happening, haha.

9. SpyKi

haha, my bad. I didn't think of that. It just stood out to me so much because of how into the scene I was until they swapped to his face and it seriously took me out of it.

suburban myth likes this.
  10. suburban myth

I should have stayed out of the thread all together until I saw the whole season - but my intrigue got the best of me!

11. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Love the addition of Elektra so much. Without her there has been way to much male angst with Matt, the Punisher, and now Fisk in the second half of the season.

12. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Up through episode 8 and I've been really liking the season so far. I really want to see some bad shit happen to the DA.

13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I do think his mask looks pretty stupid, and it makes the bottom of his face look kind of puffy, but I actually really liked that scene and the way it was acted. Matt's emotional reaction felt pretty real there.

Raku likes this.
  14. I'm 5 in and have no real desire to even keep going. This is not very good at all. Action scenes are not as well choreographed or shot, writing is weaker than DD and JJ by far, direction is ham fisted and trying way too hard or sitcom-esque, the new characters are only kind of interesting, and it feels very network-y (insert any stupid detective/legal show here) but with the "but we can have blood and violence so we're gonna just do it-ness" that everyone (says they) hate about Zack Snyder.

Been probably the biggest letdown of the year so far for me entertainment wise (after True Detective 2 the most in a few years). Maybe it was rushed? Maybe they should have waited? Not sure what it is, but I went from needing to see it the hour it hit to not even caring if I finish. Truly extraordinary drop in quality from the first season.

15. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Personally enjoyed the season. But I do think the second half is way better than the first. So I would suggest getting through it. I think there are quite a few things you'll enjoy if you liked season 1 better.

Raku likes this.
  16. I'm bored out of my violence desensitized skull. I feel like if I wanted nonsensical character motivations I'd have kept watching Arrow.

;-p

Raku likes this.
  17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Hah well I still watch that as well so touché. But I really think it was worth watching all of them. I was feeling eh about the first few, but thought it improved a lot. Don't want to give anything away but will be interested in your thoughts if you do finish! I'll just say they did a nice job with some specific cameos.

18. SpyKi

What are the nonsensical character motivations? Wondering if I'm just blinded by my hype and missing things, ha. I feel like some of the Matt/Elektra stuff fits that description but that comes later than episode 5 if I remember correctly.

19. The biggest so far was Karen hating Daredevil and him not telling her with the most comic book of all comic book tropes. I don't buy Matt's motivations for virtually anything so far, he does things with the most blatant "cause script says so" look on his face through almost all of it. I'll blame Foggy's bad acting on his incessant whining, and Punisher himself I find unfulfilled (although I've always hated the character), to quote:
    People's conflicting responses to the Punisher raise the question of whether the violence in Hell's Kitchen has tilted the world so much that people are willing to forget the right to due process and put their trust in him to fix things. And further: If he does fix things, even by killing, is Punisher then a hero?

But the show's lackluster writing does a disservice to this complex idea in both substance and dialogue.

We're first treated to a rooftop talk-off between Punisher and Daredevil in episode three. The conversation feels more like campy grandstanding for the audience than it does a chat between two men.

"You killed everyone else; why am I still alive?" Daredevil asks, implicitly reminding viewers that Punisher killed a bunch of people in the previous episode. "You don't strike me as someone who just lets that happen."

"I'll do what's required," Punisher scowls after hearing enough of what Daredevil has to say.

The rest of the exchange is both overwrought and bare, as the two men repeat the same idea — Punisher kills people, Daredevil doesn't — in a multitude of different ways, none of them poignant enough to leave a mark.
    The underlying debate that they want to get at they argue for poorly on both sides.

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

@Jason Tate out of curiosity, how familiar are you with the comics?

21. Very. Daredevil by Bendis & Maleev is a top 10 book for me.

22. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Once I get all of the Batman books I've been looking at, Daredevil will likely be next.

Deanna and Nick like this.
  24. chris

Trusted Supporter

Mark Waid Daredevil is so good, I need to get caught up on it.

25. phaynes1

Regular

Bernthal is pretty incredible in this

Jason Tate likes this.