Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Danzig

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cherrywaves, Sep 11, 2016.

1. cherrywaves

Trusted

With the timing of the Misfits reunions, I think Danzig solo gets under appreciated. The first three albums are all classics, and Danzig 4 isn't far behind. Discuss

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I listened to the first Danzig album on a car ride with my friend, and we thought it was like Black Sabbath but so much cooler. Like holy shit, that album could groove but was also deceptively heavy. Truly great. Haven't gone to listen to anything else though, which is a shame on my part.

cherrywaves likes this.
  3. cherrywaves

Trusted

That's a great way to put it! Definitely check out the others. How the Gods Kill is essential listening as well. The other three albums are similar overall, but mix in some soul and doom influences

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I will, I suddenly have a hankering for it, haha. I looked up their albums, they're considered a heavy metal band? Really weird, I just thought they sounded like a heavy punk band. I'm not super experienced with metal at all so maybe this is a good entry way. My thing with most (old) metal that I've heard is that it sounds really slick and the instrumentation seems superfluously busy most times. Like shred for the sake of it. But I like Danzig. Very good stuff. I'll come back with more detailed opinions probably.

5. cherrywaves

Trusted

I mean it's metal but like you said, in more of a traditional vein, like Sabbath. They got different after the fourth record, but I would recommend listening to those. Let me know what you think!

Honestly only reason I ended up getting into them is that John Christ (guitarist for the first four records) does the solo in "Revival Mode" by ETID

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

oh boy I truly know nothing about metal alright. Aw shit they lose the guitar player, that doesn't bode well. But it's good you told me that, it'll let me temper my expectations and i'll probably end up liking those albums more than I would have if i found that out on my own. ASSUMING they're not as good because I tend to assume that with a lot of "classic" bands. I hope I'm wrong though.
    Might check in with a relisten of that first one too, maybe what I liked will pop out more articulately

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

Admittedly I haven't to listened to any other record in full, but having heard select songs it was enough for me haha

8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Sometimes a song is enough; if I never hear another Guns n Roses song, it'll be too soon

9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Doing a relisten of the first album, it's so weird how you can't even hear a pick hitting the strings...it's just groove...liquid but heavy groove...

nvm I heard it but it's faint. v cool

10. ghostxvapor

Trusted

Definitely check out Samhain too

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Similar vein to Danzig or more Misfits like? or neither?

12. ghostxvapor

Trusted

Definitely Danzig

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

oh sick it's like punkier Danzig, I like this a lot. What album do I go to with them?

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

also my relisten of the first album was fruitful, don't regret that at all. LPII tomorrow maybe

15. ghostxvapor

Trusted

Or "November Coming Fire"