Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance Band • Page 84

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nchlsnwtn, Apr 1, 2016.

1. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Pretty surprised we STILL don’t have a single.

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Rise confirmed the release date as June 8th yesterday on their website, I can’t imagine we don’t get a single this week or next.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  3. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

New song is up!

I'm convinced this band can't make bad music.

disambigujason likes this.
  4. ChampsMusic

5. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Holllllyyyyy yes!!!!!! Omg it’s so good

6. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

In the minority. But this should be a Tillian only band at this point. His bridge is stupid good in this song.

Jon mess is a parody of himself. But maybe that is the point...

These guys can write super catchy, intricate, foals esque songs but lose me every time it turns into overly processed cleans + scramz.

I want to hear them write a breakdown minus the non sense lyrics and Jon mess crutch.

christsizedshoes and azzy01 like this.
  7. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Geez, seeing all the Jon hate on here is making me reevaluate what I grew to love about this band

Bryan Diem likes this.
  8. atlas

Trusted

Don't get me wrong, Jon was (is?) a major part of the band and his contributions to everything up to like IG were enjoyable and notable

but I also don't think it's a coincidence the band's best album (by far) is the one without him

azzy01 and skogsraet like this.
  9. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

The one without him still had parts that he would have done, their style didn't significantly change

This song had a good chorus, and I liked the ending, but it sounds like it could have been on the last album. I think with Tilian they're getting too into a pattern. There was a lot of sonic difference between deathstar and Happiness, these albums all feel like more of the same.

10. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Just popping into say this is my favorite recording of a DGD performance ever. Say what you want, but Kurt has so much energy performing.

I lowkey wish I was a fan when DGD had these really raw energetic shows instead of their minimal stage-presence, make no mistakes, performances they do now.

Also, that was really ballsy for Kurt to play a Jonny song most fans probably don't even know first in the setlist, but that speaks to the integrity of the song.

Bryan Diem and y2jayjk like this.
  11. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Don't keep it lowkey. Say it loud and proud.

Blink182Bouncer likes this.
  12. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

That's the only lineup of DGD I've seen live and it was so fucking good. I miss Zach too.(Jon may have been still in I think and I am Pro Jon Mess)

I found the date:
    February 4, 2008 St. Paul, MN Station 4

The Chariot also on the show. So fucking good.

13. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I saw happiness era DGD and DBM2 era and that’s it. Happiness era was NUTS. Ironically Tides of Man opened up.

beachdude42 and Transient_Hymn like this.
  14. ChampsMusic

Saw the Squash the Beef tour with an insane lineup. Of Mice and Men, Emarosa, DGD, can't remember who else.

15. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I think Tides of Man, but I might be wrong.

16. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I think that now more than ever with the last couple releases that DGD feels like a formula. The sing / scream thing is a very noticeable part of that. I think they should branch out alot. The wackier moments of Self Titled saw Jon Mess singing and chanting. Think Mess’ parts in the chrouses of Uneasy Hearts and Zoloft. Now its boring the way his role is so rigid and the songs have to accomodate it. They also started writing chugga breakdowns 10 years after they were popular.

17. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

a 14 track album from them is interesting. they totally lost their penchant for weird/funny song titles didnt they?

Bryan Diem likes this.
  18. currytheword

Trusted

You guys don’t really think that video posted not too long ago was a good performance right? They sound extremely sloppy. Kurt, as always live, sounds abysmal there.

19. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I love me some sloppy dgd

20. beachdude

Kurt sounded pretty bad live during a lot of his time with DGD, yeah... He's improved a lot since though.

21. Bryan Diem

Trusted

This new song is a snoozer. I'm glad people are coming around to how stagnant this band has gotten.

22. beachdude

I would say they don’t take as many risks in their early days, but I disagree that that’s the same as getting stagnant. I think each album with Tilian has had some fresh ideas and continued to improve on their core sound.

I do understand where you’re coming from because a part of myself was hoping this would be a “riskier” album from DGD, but honestly they covered so much sonic ground in their early days that imo it was inevitable they would eventually distill those elements into more of a “core sound”. Also I think part of it is them finally having a consistent lineup has led to more stability, which I’m fine with... as much as I love Kurt I think Tilian is best for this band currently, and Jonny in addition to being a horrible human being is an extremely boring vocalist and melody writer.

23. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I see what you mean, but when I listen to a new song of theirs and can sense when Mess will scream or how long it'll last, I'd call that stagnant.

24. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Yeah they've gotten to a pretty standardized place, nothing different about that new song.

25. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Well let’s wait till we hear the whole album folks

beachdude42 likes this.