Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nchlsnwtn, Apr 1, 2016.

1. torres

Regular

He might or might not, but the guy will keep pushing forward. He's got a good circle of people around him for the upcoming tour.

2. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

It's definitely your naivete.

Not that it necessarily wasn't sincere, but genuine sincerity and an addict feigning sincerity are virtually indistinguishable.

But yeah, I too hope this is the turning point for him, I'm just not expecting much, as shitty and pessimistic as that sounds.

beachdude42 and ChaseTx like this.
  3. torres

Regular

"Honey Revenge" is kind of like a twisted take on The Police's "Every Breath You Take". I'd have to look up the tweets, but Tilian did elaborate about the song at length. I didn't think there was much backlash about the song, I must have missed some of the posts.

I had heard rumblings about Jonny falling off the wagon recently.

My last interactions with him have been good though, both in person and online. Actually have had two vocal lessons with him on Skype. Scheduling with him had been difficult, but when you finally have the lesson with him, you're kind of taken back by how seriously he takes it and his level of knowledge.

Definitely not too long of a post. You should have seen some of mine back in the absolutepunk days ;-)

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  4. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Well, at work the past couple of days I listened to every song chronologically starting with DBM1 and ending on Instant Grat. I rated each song out of 10 and then averaged them all. My list is as follows (best to worst):

1. DBM2 - 8.72/10
    2. Instant Grat - 8.125/10
    3. SelfTitled - 8/10 tie
    3. Acceptance Speech - 8/10 tie
    4. DBM1 - 7.9/10
    5. Happiness - 7.85/10

This was crazy and fun to do even though it took a while. It's really hard to rank these albums because I love them for their own reasons. Happiness has a special place in my heart for that summer of '09. DBM1 is pure nostalgia. Instant Grat is the band at their best. Could go on and on.

nchlsnwtn likes this.
  5. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

very similar to my ranking! :) extremely hard discog to rank imo

6. ChampsMusic

Agreed 100%. It's such an eclectic discography.

7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

As far as Jonny goes, I really really hope this is the time he can finally turn it around, but I'm obviously very skeptical.

8. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Love & support to Jonny, should he ever read this or not...

Also, I am currently under the influence of alcohol and will fight anyone who ranks Happiness last!!! :fist:

Cameron likes this.
  9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I don't really have strong memories to any of the albums, but Happiness and s/t are definitely my two favorite. I remember DBM II was really a chore to get through. Maybe I'll run back through the discography and see if anything has changed

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Agree with you there, s/t is my clear favorite

11. irthesteve

It doesn't hurt my memory bias that the Nic Newsham song is on that album

12. christsizedshoes

Trusted

As someone who only checked them out recently and only because of the Tides of Man connection, Acceptance Speech is just fantastic. It's so weird to me that it seems to have had a lukewarm reception from fans, and that IG is universally seen as superior. The first half of IG has some gems, then it falls flat for me.

13. ChaseTx

I've never listened to Gatsby, but it is a fantastic song
    I like AS more too. But they're very similar sounding to me.

14. irthesteve

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH pleaseplease go listen to Volcano pleasepleasepleaseplease

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah though I agree the production on AS isn't great I really love that record.

16. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Hmm. I'm a big stickler for production, and AS doesn't strike me as particularly bad for our current era of everything being brickwalled. IG almost has a more typical distorted/clipped sound to it, though they're both about the same loudness.

As for the songs - I think I'm just approaching this band from a one-sided angle, looking for Tillian to continue doing what he did with ToM. AG has enough of that flavor that I love it - a lot of ToM and Circa Survive vibes, to me anyway. Whereas IG seems like it has more carefree/"fun" songs that I just don't care for (Eagle vs. Crow, Death of a Strawberry).

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

On AS the bass is extremely buried in the mix.

nchlsnwtn likes this.
  18. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I love Volcano so much.

19. ChampsMusic

Just did.

20. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

ChampsMusic likes this.
  21. ChampsMusic

[​IMG]

It's so funny because I really do like Happiness. I'll find myself going to seek out just that album.

22. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

lol, fucking love Randy Marsh!!! Also, I'm never serious when I call people out for not liking happiness! Even I can admit people will likely say tracks 5, 6, 7 and 8 are relatively weak, I just love the overall sound/feel of the album as a whole.

ChampsMusic likes this.
  23. ChaseTx

That's half the album and some really good tracks. If someone said that to me I would probably flip out and push them out a window or something. Or maybe just fervently disagree.

I mean Happiness, Self-Trepanation, Strawberry Swisher, Don't Tell Dave. C'mon.

24. ChampsMusic

Carl Barker is my secret favorite on there. Has always sat so well with me.

25. Collins

Trusted

Happiness is the only album from DGD I go back to besides some other tracks scattered across their discography. I haven't listened to the last two though so maybe I need to get on that.