Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance Recording New Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 13, 2016.

1. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

In a relatively small community, there's a very good chance it was

2. Eric

Regular

I don't know. I just listened to AS and I'm about halfway through IG and I think I've already noticed more standout songs on IG than AS. It is my first time listening to each and I've been reading stuff online while listening but I haven't been paying attention to any one over the other.

3. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I ran into him once at LA fitness and was like wow this guys is fit lol

Carmensaopaulo and Eric like this.
  4. uhhh no what are you talking about ?

5. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Mine's Similar:

Death Star> Instant Gratification > Acceptance Speech > Happiness > DBM > DBMII > Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Fair enough, Deathstar has some of my favorite DGD songs ever. The mid section of the record is so goddamn good.. Hot Water on Wool, Uneasy Hearts, Caviar (love me some Chino), Rock Solid, and Kurt sounds superb on Burning Down the Nicotine Armoire Pt. 2.

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

lol what. No man, the record is actually much better and all the fans seem to love it. Look at this thread alone. Everyone agrees the record is at least one of the better ones.

The one-two punch of Variation/Lost make the record for me. It's just so good.

GooberSandwich and Jake W like this.
  8. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I tend to forget Chino did a song with DGD, always blows my mind when I remember since I love Deftones and DGD so damn much. Death Star isn't a favorite of mine just cause I feel like they went on to do way better but I feel like if any album could've made DGD a bigger name if even just within the scene, it would've been that album. Guest features and Uneasy Hearts being such a catchy song, it really baffles me that it didn't make more of an impression.

9. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

"Lost" has some of the worst lyrics written by the band. If not the worst.

ChaseTx likes this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah it sucks they didn't blow up really. The good news is IG was their best selling record yet which is great cause Jon Mess gave an interview prior to the release essentially saying they need to get bigger or they might end in the near future.

11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I disagree highly. It's nothing special at all, sure, it's Tillian's delivery that makes it so goddamn good. Also Will's guitar work is insane on it. You must have forgot about Uneasy Hearts:

"I am a million fucking bucks
    I am a thousand fucking fucks
    Your bitch is dead
    She was hit by a truck

WHAT
    THE
    FUCK"

or maybe NASA..

"Holy fuck I'm depressed
    Too bad I don't have a pussy to plunge into
    While I sit here and stomach this
    Here's a noble prize, lets gamble our demise"

The band has always had a plethora of bad lyrics but its the vocal delivery and fantastic/creative musicianship that easily outweighs the bad. So I highly disagree with Lost having the worst lyrics.

Also, that still doesn't take away from the fact most, if not all, their fans loved or at least enjoyed Instant Gratification more than others.

GooberSandwich and Eric like this.
  12. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I was under the impression that he gave that interview after IG, part of why my hopes are pretty high for DGD8. Regardless, IG charted at 32 on the billboard 200, which is pretty damn impressive for a post hardcore band who, to be fair, doesn't fit so neatly into that genre anymore. I'm real curious what kind of numbers the next one will do

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  13. then Ronald McDonald appeared with his shitty review

14. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

Your definition of what is considered "good" or "deep" lyrics is very narrow. And I'm sorry to see that and can do very little to convince you otherwise.

15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Weird cause I never said what I consider good or deep lyrics and never said Tillian's lyrics were that. Your reading comprehension must be very narrow and I am sorry to see that.

16. RiseAgainst379

Regular

As someone who stopped listening after Happiness, which should I start with? Acceptance Speech or Instant Gratification?

17. Eric

Regular

I kinda only listened to them during DBM but I've been going through their discog this past week and I started at Deathstar and went chronologically. But the album after Happiness is DBM2 which I really thought was not good at all so I would say skip that if you don't care too much and go straight to AS. I think IG is the better Tilian album but you can tell they got more comfortable with him on IG so it's just cool to hear the progress. But I think they're both very good in their own right

18. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

IG has some of the bands most popular work IMO. I cannot remember a song bar Uneasy Hearts that is more popular with fans than We Own The Night - gets a huge crowd response live, def one of their best ever songs. They keep progressing, and if they carry on going forward from the IG "vibe" (rather than regress to AS) the next album can only be better!

Eric likes this.
  19. DBM2 is much better than AS. IG is their second best album.

20. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I listened to DBM2 for the first time in ages earlier and got so bored. Their weakest album by far imo.

21. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Probably AS then IG just to see the progression. AS has some really amazing tracks: "Acceptance Speech", "Strawberry Swisher pt. III", and "The Death of the Robot with Human Hair" are great.

IG though is a record you can listen to start to finish.

It's boring and you can tell they had no idea what they were doing since Jonny would randomly show up with no lyrics or anything and not be in the best mindset either. Supposedly, Crummet had to help write lyrics for Jonny. I love "Heat Seeking Ghost of Sex" a lot as well as "The Robot with Human Hair pt. II 1/2" but that's like... it.

22. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

DBM2 had some winners for me. Blue Dream, Elder Goose (catchy and so fun to play), Privilously Poncheezied (i don't know why that song gets no love - the guitar work in the beginning is so pretty) and Heat Seeking Ghost of Sex are all tracks I go back to when I'm on a Jonny kick. The rest are super forgettable imo. I can listen to any other DGD album all the way through and love every second but not that one.

23. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I love Privilously Poncheezied, but I think lots dislike that part where there's loads of effects on Jon's voice (with it bouncing left to right in the mix etc.). Song is some of the best guitar work Will's done IMO and super fun to play along with. Also, the part between 1:45 and 2:30 is one of my fav DGD sections ever!

Edit: Damn, the end riff is quality too! Pretty much my fav song on the album along with 'Perfect' lol.

24. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Zac Garren was in Sacramento last night recording with them