Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance Recording New Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. mattylikesfilms Apr 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 13, 2016)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I love this era of DGD. I really can't wait, Tillian is crushing it. I consider Instant Gratification to be their best record at this point. I love the Kurt records (hate the Jonny ones) but I think Instant Gratification and Acceptance Speech is their best stuff as a whole.

skurt likes this.
  3. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Instant Gratification > Acceptance Speech > Deathstar > Happiness > DBM > DBMII > Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean

IMO

skurt likes this.
  4. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Tillian era DGD is definitely my favorite era so I am excited.

5. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Tilian DGD is the best DGD. Excited for this.

6. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Man they are just pumping out albums. Guess they feel like Tillian is the best fit so far for them.

7. Gooddayz

always and forever

Three albums with the same vocalist, DGD making history here!

8. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Great news.

9. Kurt is my favorite but I'm always excited for new DGD.

10. dongusbologna

I used to be PIG DESTROYER

I stopped listening after jonny left, partially because I didn't like the next guy (kurt, I guess) and partly because everything was starting to sound the same to me. Plus, they put out a new album like every year, which always makes same-sounding songs seem even worse.
    I rediscovered them with the Instant Gratification and absolutely loved it. Went back and got Acceptance Speech and I liked it even more. I agree that this is definitely the best lineup they've had and I am super excited for this. 3 albums in a row with the same lineup?? UNHEARD OF

11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah it's almost sad that we have to be stoked that they kept the same vocalists for three records now but congrats DGD!

Tillian is their best fit cause he can draw a crowd/stage presence and has some pretty good range as well. Here's to hoping the band doesn't drop him mid recording lol

12. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Stoked for it. I've never not liked a DGD album

13. Nick Martin

There are no answers. Only choices.

That's my hope. And agreed - it seems they're on a roll with respect to releasing albums in a consistent/timely way.

14. Eric

Regular

I still have yet to listen to either album with Tilian in full but I also haven't been too into DGD for a while. I listened to their Tree City Session version of Alex English then started with Deathstar and I'm working my way through their discography. I was really only into DBM before so I skipped that. Just listened to DBM2 yesterday and after Deathstar & Happiness, I thought it really wasn't too great. Do most fans agree DBM2 is their low point so far?

GooberSandwich likes this.
  15. Jake W

DBM2 is definitely their worst album.

Eric likes this.
  16. Now that I think about it, I think my ranking of their albums might just be the chronological order.

17. Jake W

IG > AS > Happiness > Self-Titled > DBM > DBM2

mattylikesfilms and Eric like this.
  18. Eric

Regular

Damn looks like I really need to listen to the Tilian albums

19. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Personally -- IG > Happiness > DBM > acceptance speech > death star > DBM2.

I think the consensus is DBM2 is the worst. I feel like they make their best albums when they're the most comfortable and adding Jonny back into the mix seemed awkward. If my theory is correct, the September release should be killer because they seem pretty damn comfortable with Tilian, and with good reason. He's professional, a great vocalist and an all around nice, easygoing guy.

20. Eric

Regular

Tilian seems really cool and I watched a whole live set video last night of them doing one of their 10 year shows and he definitely does very well live. His voice sounds just like it does on record and when Jon's taking lead Tilian just kinda dances and overall looks like he's having a good time. I'm listening to Acceptance Speech right now for the first time and I really like it

21. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

the first one is all you really need to listen to. it's been kind of accepted that IG was sort of a miss.

22. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I'm tempted to say Tilian dancing is almost a selling point for DGD now. I can't remember who said what where, but I recall a reviewer mentioning that Tilian has brought in the most sex appeal of any of their vocalists haha

Eric likes this.
  23. DiscoMark

I don't get Kanye West

Expect J. Craig to try and weasel his way back in now thats slaves are done.

24. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Dance Tillian Dance

Jake W and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  25. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

Might have been my review.