Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance Cover “Semi-Charmed Life”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. That was goofy. Buuuuuut now I kinda wanna hear the whole album

3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Makes me wanna listen to 3eb

Essie and Larry David like this.
  4. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

My literal reaction at the first growls, "Jesus Chris, why?!" I hate that so many post-hardcore bands feel the need to force growls where they make no sense at all. It feels completely arbitrary. That's one thing I appreciate about Silverstein. They aren't guilty of that nearly as often IMO.

I gave up listening to this halfway through which is a bummer because I liked the beginning part.

Jared Luttrell likes this.
  5. currytheword Nov 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 6, 2018)
    currytheword

Trusted

I felt the same way as my initial reaction. However, for a comp album like this, I expect the bands to take the songs and work them in a way that fits the style of their band. DGD did that well here. Upon comparing it to the original, It gives good contrast with Tilian. I also considered the parts that Jon screams and thought about what they would sound like if Tilian were singing them. I think they picked the parts well as Stephen's lyrics almost sounded exactly like something Jon would sing in a DGD song.

CyberInferno likes this.
  6. Spenny

Regular

Oof, that was rough.

BradBradley likes this.
  7. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Wasn’t feeling this

BradBradley likes this.
  8. BradBradley

Regular

Yikes

9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I completely agree that bands often force growls, but I enjoyed them here way more than tilian. I didn’t think his voice fit this at all.

10. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

To be fair, Silverstein doesn't have an extra singer that just stands there where Shane sings the clean parts.

11. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

better than the original...

12. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Jon is a huge part of the band's sound...would've made no sense to leave him out of the cover. It makes sense because this is what DGD sounds like and it's a DGD cover.

Comparing DGD to Silverstein is also weird hahaha

PandaBear! likes this.
  13. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

lmao

14. CyberInferno

[IMG]
    You, sir/ma'am, go sit in the corner...

PandaBear! likes this.
  15. CyberInferno

Tilian's voice is obviously different, but I thought it was an interesting take on it anyway. I certainly thought it made a lot more sense than growls.
    That's a good point, but I'm also of the opinion that not every song needs growls even if that's your band's style. For instance, when hardcore bands do acoustic songs, the grows typically get left out.
    Yeah, I get that. I just think limiting the growls to parts of the song that make more sense rather than just blanket applying it would make sense. Growls are like profanity to me. They are best when the accentuate the song. Just throwing them in for the sake of having them doesn't work. Just my opinion though.

Silverstein is one of the bands that I think overall does growls quite well, so I think that's my de-facto comparison. Plus, I only dabble in that scene, so I've got limited exposure period. I'd rather bring up a band I know well (and like) than one I'm not as familiar with.

disambigujason and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  16. cosmickid

Fair point there, if I'm being honest i'm not familiar with the original song I suppose I'm not sure where they'd apply best. Maybe they were just trying to evenly divide things.

17. CyberInferno

My god I feel old now.

18. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Dance Gavin Dance is a goofy ass band, this is a goofy ass cover.

That's kinda the point, it's 100% their style to do something like this

beachdude and artbynickferran like this.
  19. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

3EB is arguably my favorite band of all time, and I haven't given DGD a good listen in years. But I'll say that I enjoyed that a heck of a lot more than I expected. So much fun.

20. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

Song is fine. Tilian annoys me more than Jon does on it. I don’t know what else people could expect from DGD. This isn’t the first song they’ve covered, they find a way to utilize both vocalists.

21. cosmickid

22. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Ho man, I’m gonna start listening to Dance Gavin Dance. The rougher vocals are hit and miss for me, but the clean singer sounds amazing. I honestly didn’t know this song even had a bridge (that part wasn’t in American Pie...) but it turns out that’s the best part of the song, and I like the way they do it in this cover