Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance - Artificial Selection (June 8, 2018) Album • Page 73

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Anthony_, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

I couldn’t get through half of the Secret Band LP. I still love the first EP. That said I hope they continue putting out stuff under the Secret Band moniker.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean the Secret Band album is fun sortof chaos but it kinda feels like the sound is old news instrumentally, which is surprising coming from these dudes. Its definitely less unique than their other stuff. But Mess sounds like Mess with some new stuff from him sprinkled around.

currytheword likes this.
  3. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Album gets better the more you listen to it though for sure. I think it’s fresh/new from their perspective because they haven’t made much music like this before, but if you are a hardcore/metal fan (which I’m not, really) it may not sound so unique?

beachdude likes this.
  4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

5. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Royal Coda?

beachdude likes this.
  6. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

I'd love for it to be something totally out of left field. Like.......... Explosions In the Sky. Awwwhhhhhhhh shit I'm gonna be fantasizing about this all day now.

7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Hmmm

beachdude and currytheword like this.
  8. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Where is this announcement?!

beachdude and currytheword like this.
  9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

him and Andrew traded bands he’s in eidola now and raps

beachdude and Jbent like this.
  10. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

11. beachdude

The backstory of this as it was explained to me is.... Sianvar broke up because of creative differences between Will and Donovan. And now Will and the rest of the guys are repurposing those Sianvar album tracks as the new Royal Coda album lol

I definitely have some mixed feelings on that, but as a huge Kurt fan, I am honestly pretty excited to hear essentially Sianvar fronted by him. I’ve heard from my friend that the new Royal Coda stuff is apparently much better than their debut (which didn’t leave much of a lasting impression on me).

ChampsMusic and Daniel182 like this.
  12. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

That makes me very cautiously excited to be honest. Donovan is great but his voice grates on me compared to Travis

beachdude likes this.
  13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I can’t stand hail the sun because of his voice

beachdude and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  14. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

They’re really tight live though. Not a fan either besides that though

beachdude likes this.
  15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I saw them open for circa once. It was whatever

16. beachdude

Yeah I’ve also never cared for Donovan’s vocals sadly. I think Royal Coda LP2 has the potential to be something really special for me, because Sianvar’s instrumentals have always been awesome.

17. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Want this to be true.

beachdude likes this.
  18. Bryan Diem

Trusted

All I want from this is to not see the (ft Andres) tag on it at all lol

19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

idk if its just me or what but Donavan always sounded like an 85% pre-meditated wannabe copy of Anthony Green. and I didnt find his melodies memorable.

20. kkhawk24

Interesting that Royal Coda are opening for Hail the Sun on their tour this year. Pretty sure the Sianvar announcement happened while Hail the Sun was on tour opening for DGD too.

beachdude likes this.
  21. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Am I really alone here in loving Donovan’s voice?

22. atlas

Trusted

Donovan's voice is fine I'm just not really keen on their (HTS) songwriting tendencies or melodies. Sometimes they hit the mark, Human Target Practice and Burn Nice And Slow are bangers for instance, but most of the time I get bored

sawhney[rusted]2 and beachdude like this.
  23. currytheword

Trusted

TBCH I've given all the above-mentioned bands along with ALLB multiple chances and the style just doesn't do it for me. I find it unique and impressive but they all pale in comparison to DGD.

beachdude likes this.
  24. atlas

Trusted

A lot of them try to do too much imo. DGD can get away with it because they kind of invented the whole subgenre and they consistently have had some of the most impressive musicians at their respective instruments.

Narco Debut's album that just came out is a master class in doing more with less

25. currytheword

Trusted

I think Will is the key to DGD working. Yes, Mingus is an awesome drummer. Yes, Mess is a lot of fun. Sure, the other vocalists have been entertaining. However, Will is the real anomaly and I think he's a far more diverse writer than all of them. He dabbles in everything. Catchy hooks, prog parts, metal, melodic, jazz/groove, and somehow makes it work with a post-hardcore band essentially. I refer to him as a modern-day underground Jimi usually.

disambigujason and beachdude like this.