Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance - Artificial Selection (June 8, 2018) Album • Page 72

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Anthony_, Mar 23, 2018.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Imo the Secret Band LP2 actually feels significantly MORE creative than a lot of DGD’s recent output. I still enjoy their past couple albums a lot, but there is a feeling to me on some songs that they’re kind of on autopilot and have their formula down to a science. This feels like them breaking outside of those constraints, in a pretty thrilling way.

2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I like it more than anything since Acceptance Speech

beachdude likes this.
  3. beachdude

Same here

4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

not sure if i like it as much as IG but its at least as good as ArSe

beachdude likes this.
  5. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

What's the likelihood we see DGD jump into more experimental territory again?

irrc, Tillian made some comments on twitter that he recognized they were just refining a sound since Acceptance Speech.

beachdude likes this.
  6. beachdude

I know some people in the Blue Swan scene and have heard some things about the next album that give me hope... but then again I got my hopes up that ArSe could be that more experimental album and it wasn’t, so I don’t want to put too much stock in rumors til I hear something.

7. currytheword

Trusted

I don't see how it's more creative. Certainly not nearly as diverse as DGD, and it was grating on my ears. That's coming from someone who enjoys Mess more than DGD's clean vocalists and praises Will Swan. I don't find any direction in the music, it just comes off brash and chaotic. Like it's one small vein of DGD removed and standing on its own.

8. Gooddayz

always and forever

Finally heard this yesterday and I'm glad those Chariot vibes are confirmed here. That's a good thing too in my book and also Moon is a fantastic closer. Reminded me of an Underoath song lol

beachdude and Rowan5215 like this.
  9. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

idk man there's some stuff on Lightning and Rabbit Hole that I've literally never heard in DGD. Moon too. it's certainly not just sounds from DGD isolated at all

Gooddayz and beachdude like this.
  10. beachdude

Yeah Moon is one of the heaviest things I’ve ever heard Will play, that song goes OFF!

Gooddayz likes this.
  11. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

My brother feels the same as you @currytheword , says it’s too chaotic! I’d give it 7/10 personally; some songs like lightning and bloomer are exceptional, others around the middle seem average & not really my “thing” (but are still decent listens because of Jon of course).

Much is said about Will but the other guitarist Martin Bianchini owns too - those insanely heavy chords he uses in bloomer are one of the high points for me!

currytheword and beachdude like this.
  12. currytheword

Trusted

I think the Chariot's work blows this away honestly. Gave it another listen to songs I hadn't checked out the first time around. My impression remained the same.

13. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

a light roast

Attached Files:

Rowan5215, 333 GANG, Cameron and 2 others like this.
  14. currytheword

Trusted

I’m so roasted.

Amazing when I express that same type of energy towards shallow negative posts elsewhere i’m the asshole and get mocked. But the Microsoft paint meme, ah yes real comedy so it’s warranted aye?

15. currytheword

Trusted

How’s about this then since we aren’t holding back. This album doesn’t hold a flame to any of the bands it was compared to, or DGD’s work.

16. nohandstoholdonto

lol I said light roast, but if you really wanna go off about it like I’m coming for your throat then cool. I don’t really give a shit if you don’t like it or not it’s just like... you don’t gotta make the same post with slightly different wording every time someone says they like it or hear an influence that you don’t. Also no one has even said they think the quality of the album is on par with those bands it’s been compared to, just that the influence is there, so I don’t really get why you’re wording it like you’re doling out some hot ass take but *shrug*

beachdude, 333 GANG and Cameron like this.
  17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Please stop

beachdude and 333 GANG like this.
  18. nohandstoholdonto

like idk it’s totally fine to express dislike for something and provide criticism of it but imo if you take it to a point where it comes off like you’re bothered by the fact that other ppl like it, or you’re superior bc you don’t, then it becomes exhausting and stops becoming constructive or valuable.

Cameron, beachdude and 333 GANG like this.
  19. currytheword

Trusted

20. currytheword Apr 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 30, 2019)
    currytheword

Trusted

-I take notice to an album everyone is talking about in a thread I’m subbed to.
    -It includes members of a band I really, really like.
    -I give it a try. Turns out to be something I’m personally not a fan of.
    -I make sure to explain the points of what I wasn’t feeling in my second post where I addressed that I didn’t hear the influences mentioned at all as well.
    -People respond to the conversation at hand. More praise. (I was even tagged in one of them if you didn’t notice.)
    -What the hell, I give the album another shot for the songs I didn’t give a chance to.
    -I express that those songs did nothing for me either. I even made sure to say “my impression” and that I’m a huge fan of the members previous work.

Maybe you’re a little too bothered that somebody doesn’t like what you like, cause I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how forums work. Me being the only one commenting who isn’t a fan made me an easy target for your dumb meme.

21. Cameron Apr 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 30, 2019)
    Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Didn’t you attack someone in the GoT thread for having opinions?

22. currytheword

Trusted

I’m gonna go ahead and assume the hyperbolic word you were looking for was attack, and I’m dying laughing if you think I attacked anyone. The post likely wouldn’t have 8 or 9 likes at this point, and also we conversed at great lengths after. Nice try though.

23. currytheword

Trusted

And it was me asking someone, who literally daily posted negative takes on almost every individual episode, why they were watching still and participating. Apparently I should just not be a fan of the DGD thread now cause the side band didn’t do it for me.

24. jciswhatis

Ugh, I hate America. Supporter

[​IMG]

beachdude likes this.
  25. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Mess is insufferable but Will+other guy brought it. GJ comparisons aren't unwarranted

beachdude likes this.