Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance - Artificial Selection (June 8, 2018) Album • Page 60

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Anthony_, Mar 23, 2018.

1. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

the rattler is my least favorite by far. jon's parts rule. tilians parts are fucking awful and dont fit.

2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Slouch still underrated sigh

3. red8ge

Regular

it seems like their "what a catch donnie" i guess lol

4. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I don't understand why some people thought they were going to break up when they're more popular than ever lol

sophos34 likes this.
  5. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Well yeah but the callbacks just seem like callbacks to me, nothing more to read in there, and the general lyrics definitely sound like they’re aimed at a significant other, especially Andrews part. Which, btw, is incredible and made me check out eidola

6. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

They are kind of like a Circa Survive, Coheed (though not as big) band to me. They've been doing this long enough to be a well oiled machine. It's probably paying the bills, so why not keep doing it while the getting's good?

7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

they'd said in interviews that they'd need to get bigger for the band to be sustainable, and while its not a strong indicator, referencing that many past songs in a closer could definitely come off as a final move, so i don't think the speculation was unreasonable. that said, they are indeed as big as ever so the future is safe.

8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

They said that right before instant gratification came out, they had no idea how that album was gonna do because acceptance speech was a reboot era and not as huge as some other eras. But IG blew them up thanks to death of a strawberry and a couple other songs that caught on with poppier audiences, and mothership and arse have continued the trend. Over in swanposting on fb there’s a lot of fans who got into them with mothership. Not the biggest indicator but YouTube stream plays on the rise channel for the last three albums are pretty big. They’re clearly on an upward trajectory and wasn’t arse their best selling yet?

9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Ah i thought the quote was from right before mothership came out. Regardless, I agree with everything you said, and yea arse was their best selling. Future looks good!

beachdude42 and sophos34 like this.
  10. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

when I saw DGD in the Instant Gratification era, I saw them with a ton of nobody bands, the biggest artist on the tour was Dayshell. They played a tiny venue in Lansing, which is definitely a B or even C market (although an awesome area for a show). In that timeframe I remember everyone talking about how they always just “did their own thing” and “toured with Swancore bands”. Now, as evidenced by the tourS with Underoath, and also the I See Stars tour, you’re kind of seeing that they’re back to playing big shows with larger bands around them.

The popularity growth is obvious, and I think a lot of that was the We Own The Night single, as well as already having that cult fan base on top of it. Mothership took off, and I still have no idea how or why people loved it so much. ArSe is doing the exact same thing. They’re getting big tours and playing bigger rooms again. It’s cool to see for them.

sophos34 likes this.
  11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Mothership is fantastic

12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Will has done pretty well for himself with blue swan, he carved out this niche in the scene for a very specific sound (known as swancore lol) and while obviously none of the bands on his label are huge they’re pretty popular in terms of underground bands. and hail the sun moved up to equal vision so it’s definitely a thing that’s caught on

beachdude42 and withchappedlips like this.
  13. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

I wasn’t trying to question it, although my post has that comment about Mothership. I mainly just still don’t understand how that one album is the one that really took off when I look at their discography. There’s literally fans that don’t even know Tilian is the third vocalist. It’s mind blowing to me, lol.

disambigujason likes this.
  14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Betrayed and Inspire did super well as singles

15. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Stolas briefly jumped to Equal Vision too, but unfortunately their one album for them kinda disappointed and they ended up calling it quits. But overall, yeah the Swancore scene has been pretty successful, with HTS definitely being the biggest success story from Blue Swan.

16. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

They should just have Andrew do a cover set of Johnny songs and no one would tell the difference

Nate_Johnson and beachdude like this.
  17. beachdude

Andrew is the best.

18. beachdude

Tilian’s upcoming solo album is easily his best solo work imo. Fans of his eras of DGD and Tides of Man should find a lot to like I think... I’m glad he stepped up his instrumentation and general songwriting on this one.

Nate_Johnson and Micah511 like this.
  19. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Is it out there, or do you just have an advance?

beachdude likes this.
  20. beachdude

Advance... should have a review up by release. It’s his most instrumentally/guitar-driven solo work by far, but I also think the songwriting is just stronger. Feels like more care was put into these songs.

Nate_Johnson and Daniel182 like this.
  21. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Another cool guitar playthrough!

sophos34 likes this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Easily one of the best songs on the record if not THE best.

Cameron likes this.
  23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

hes so fucking good its not fair

24. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

This Tilian album is great

Contender, Nate_Johnson and beachdude like this.
  25. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

I like it a lot. Tilian straight up said Handsome Garbage was written like a Tides of Man song. I completely forgot he played guitar along with singing in that band.

Nate_Johnson likes this.