Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance - Artificial Selection (June 8, 2018) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Anthony_, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Video is out.

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Another classic video from them. Love how creative they’ve been recently.

Not exactly the kind of departure I was expecting but I still love the song. Will is a goddamn wizard with that guitar, so awesome. The grooves are probably my favorite thing about DGD with Tilian and this just continues that trend. Happy with it.

disambigujason likes this.
  3. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

"I'm kissing the baby then licking the poop" - Jon Mess, 2018.

disambigujason, Joshua and Anthony_ like this.
  4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Can’t wait to listen! Honestly their last three singles haven’t touched any of the album tracks. So I’m not expecting to be blown away yet. Chunky Vs being the better of the three album singles with Tilain(Robot pt,4, On the Run, Chucky).

5. atlas

Trusted

so I see Mess is doing even worse on the lyric front than Mothership, which I didn't even know was possible

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Mess always delivers on having the worst lyrics ever hahaha

Love that guy.

Blink182Bouncer likes this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

New song is cool. Will need to listen more

8. sukottokairu

Regular

that video is crazy haha, they always have the most insane videos. the song is good, i enjoy it. it takes a couple listens to settle in but i dig it.

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

New song is underwhelming to be honest. I was hoping to be wowed like Summertime Gladness.

However, it’s only one song so maybe I’ll love the rest.

10. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

I really dig the new song!

11. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Ah this song sucks except for the end. Feels like a band on autopilot to me. I know it's the opposite of what really happened, but Tilian totally killed this band to me

12. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Also I like how this song is probably the most potent of their career. It feels clear, concise and like a real song unlike the weird mish-mash most of their stuff since Self-Titled has been. (Not hate, I love DGD, but they've always focused more on the music and less on the songs if that makes sense)

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  13. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Guitar sounds so good. Great job Will

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I actually love Tillian in the band (Kurt is always my favorite tho) but this song really does feel like a standard half baked DGD song. Not impressed. I’ll wait for another song to see if I should cancel my vinyl preorder.

incognitojones likes this.
  15. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Second half was better than the first half, especially since the chorus is a bit underwhelming, but it’s cool to see Mess get this much time to shine at this point in their career. And as someone alluded to, his voice is definitely changing.

ChampsMusic likes this.
  16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Yeah I mean I liked Mothership and he's had good parts before, but there's no fun or wow factor here, even in Jon or Will's parts. Last time I almost preordered one of their albums was IG, which I liked 1 maybe 2 songs off of. So yeah, pass for me haha

17. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Also the grittiness in Tilian's parts is so grating at this point, anyone else feel that?

Blink182Bouncer likes this.
  18. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Song's grown on me after a few more listens, but I still don't love it. Feels really safe and bland, especially by this band's standards.

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Some songs for sure but I thought he did really good on Mothership in that aspect.

20. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Chorus is pretty earwormy to me.

21. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Listening to Summertime Gladness now and this jam does laps around the new single.

22. disambigujason Apr 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2018)
    disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Tilian’s grit wasn’t perfect for this track, and it was quite strong, but I thought it was great on mothership. Wonder how representative of the album this’ll turn out to be.

23. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Love how texturally interesting this song is. Surprised many people are thinking it’s the band on autopilot...this is very different for them. Seems like they’re going down a more atmospheric route this time around, harkening back to DBMI’s guitarwork and feel more than anything in their recent catelogue.

beachdude42, Cameron, Joshua and 2 others like this.
  24. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Interesting you say that; I thought it was pretty conservative guitarwork until the bridge. I have longed for some more of that stuff tho so I’d be happy to hear it myself haha.

25. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The breakdown sounds like DBM I guess but the rest is unadventurous and could have been on any of the last 3 albums.

Also... I'm gonna say it. Jon Mess is just annoying now :(

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.