Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dance Gavin Dance - Afterburner (April 24th 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Blink182Bouncer, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

yeah, idk if it's DGD fatigue from their constant releases or specifically fatigue from all Tillian's shit, but I'm not really excited for this. music is great instrumentally but they don't have songs that do it for me like the "Carl Barker" days

2. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

there is not a singer i like less on this earth. i actually don't think the dude can sing at all.

3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Tilian is great. He’s just a big dumb idiot tho

4. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

he definitely can sing my dude - his range is like operatic

5. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I like his melodys too I just wish he would record differently for my tastes

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I have to issue a partial retraction to this statement. Tilian has still said other dumb stuff on Twitter but the worst thing I believed he said was that he seemed to have been supporting Tim Lambesis returning to music a few months ago. Upon further inspection when I was trying to remind myself exactly what he had said, that was actually not the case. So he’s still a dumb but not an outright monster.

Anthony_Soprano and Daniel182 like this.
  7. Get your secret band on!

beachdude and Leftandleaving like this.
  8. Rowan5215

oh I fucking love Secret Band. LP2 is better than 2/3rds the DGD discog in my eyes

9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This song is great wow

beachdude likes this.
  10. Gooddayz

always and forever

I was pretty surprised Prisoner is the opener for this, but the more I think about it the more I'm all for it. I love the intro vocals, that chorus hits hard and then the outro with Jon. Great single

beachdude likes this.
  11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I think this is definitely my least favprite dgd single except for maybe ‘heat seeking ghost of sex’ idk its close

12. sukottokairu

Regular

i think this is a strong single and opener, definitely hitting a lot harder than "midnight crusade" did

13. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, this is actually one of my favorite singles from them in a long time tbh

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

It’s growing on me

beachdude likes this.
  15. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

That Tilian scream is exactly what I’m here for.

16. Cameron Feb 23, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 24, 2020)
    Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

That’s actually one of my complaints about the song. I wish it was more defined? It took me a couple listens to realize what had happened, BUT I love it. Just the mix right there is weird.

17. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

COME BACK WHEN YOURE TRASH

beachdude likes this.
  18. tvck

Trusted

lol imagine thinking Tillian can't sing.

This song is fantastic.

Cameron and beachdude like this.
  19. Rowan5215

well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's less about his range and power (which are obviously good) and more about a) his general shitheadedness as a person, b) his shitty (sometimes damaging) lyrics, and c) his constantly reusing melodies and general lack of creativity. by far my least favourite thing about this era of DGD, but the band themselves are still great.

20. -deleted-

-

Nothing the band has done is ever unimpressive. But I don't find this new song to be great. Tilian's parts don't do anything for me (especially the intro).

However, that is EASILY their best artwork for any album yet.

21. beachdude

I can get where you’re coming from. Honestly I still think Tilian is far more creative than Jonny as far as melodies/songwriting are concerned. But as far as problematic things he’s said, I think a lot of people are too willing to excuse him because he’s better as a person than Jonny, but that’s such a ridiculously low bar, and he should still be held accountable for what he says.

Overall Kurt’s era is still my favorite. I do give Tilian a lot of credit for helping bring the band way more consistency and success, but I also think they’ve started to get more complacent alongside that consistency. I hope this album starts to change it up more, but we’ll see.

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

tilian writes good melodys

disambigujason and beachdude like this.
  23. beachdude

Yeah I mean... obviously this is ALSO a low bar but the arguably most famous singer before Tilian in this band recycled melodies like crazy and literally just freestyled a ton of his vocal takes. I still think Tilian puts a ton of work into his vocal writing and it shows... his lyrics aren’t always my favorite, but melodically I think he’s great.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  24. -deleted-

-

I don't believe Tilian's voice sounds nearly as appealing as either of the first two vocalists. He's good but it definitely gives me a headache hearing him squeal after a handful of songs mixed with DGD's eclectic style.

25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Im still in awe at how much Ive disliked Kurts vocals in bands post ALLB

SpyKi and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.