Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Da 5 Bloods (Spike Lee, June 12,2020) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 18, 2020.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I loved that part. The whole first 45 min I was hooked.

TJ Wells likes this.
  2. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I could watch Isiah Whitlock Jr. drink fruity drinks for the rest of my life.

3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

So glad we got the shiiiiiiiit

mike1885 likes this.
  4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I have to say, Eddie's death is one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen in a movie. I knew he (or someone) was gonna get exploded but JESUS CHRIST.

5. Pretty good, I enjoyed the last hour or so more. The flashbacks didn’t bother me at all, I don’t see that as an issue.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  6. This was pretty great. The main cast are all great, and I cracked up at ”Damn, just put the gold on Craigslist.”

aoftbsten and Rowan5215 like this.
  7. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

that line delivery was impeccable

pretty sure every Isiah Whitlock Jr. "sheeeeeeit" i hear adds another year to my lifespan

8. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Just came to post that I loved the sheeeeeeeeit.

Victor Eremita and Rowan5215 like this.
  9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was great. Delroy is absolutely phenomenal. His monologue scene & the forgiveness scene are just astounding. I think the choice to keep the actors the same age in the flashbacks was quite fitting. Despite the passage of time, these men are stuck in that war.

There are a few minor issues with the execution of the more violent scenes, but they are not enough to sink the film. I just finished and I'm itching to watch it again.

10. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I was dreading it every time they said they found another one.

This is the scene that hooked me haha.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Tim like this.
  11. yung_ting

Trusted

I loved this so much, absolutely flew by. Funny, moving, and intense. Loved every minute of it.

12. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

13. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Eh. I really like the cast as is.

14. imthegrimace

Yeah everyone was great

aoftbsten likes this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

feel like both washingtons at the same time would be distracting for some

16. imthegrimace

I had no idea that he was Denzel’s son until just now.

17. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I also feel like it implies no Delroy which is fucking blasphemy.

Zilla, aoftbsten and jkauf like this.
  18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Also had no clue that was his son

19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Delroy brings the movie up a whole level. Hard to imagine it without him.

John David’s speech patterns are very similar to Denzel’s.

20. Morrissey

Trusted

This was good.

Almost every Spike Lee movie has a small part that makes it feel like an accident or some sort of amateur film and it is hard to tell how intentional it is. In this one, it feels off that they get excited to find the gold, dig to find the box, see that the box is rotted out, but then find more gold anyway. In almost any other movie that would be the end of the gold hunt or the gold would be in another place in another scene.

Conversations about the telegraphing of the explosion or the artificiality of the non-attempt to de-age the actors illustrates the ways that Lee has embraced the obvious phoniness of films in order to better use them as polemics, much like later Godard or some documentary filmmakers. It makes judging the films a much different experience; the film is structurally messy and would be dramatically trimmed down and streamlined if the filmmaker didn't have the clout of Spike Lee. Even still, within an often silly and disorganized film, there is poetry in the smaller moments. Paul's attempts to shoo away the street merchant before his meltdown is an empathetic depiction of how people with mental issues, rather than the hysterics of most movies and shows, swallow so much pain in order to try to keep an air of normalcy for the people around them, knowing how their struggles can be a burden to those around them and knowing how easy people can use that as an excuse to disconnect.

21. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

Loved every second of this.

22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This has got me going through Spike’s earlier work. Can’t believe I’d never seen Malcolm X or Do The Right Thing before. Both great. Malcolm X in particular was fantastic.

SpyKi, CarpetElf and matthaber like this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

25th Hour is one of a handful of films that really taught me how movies could move and challenge you. I was 14 when I saw it and didn't know what I had just seen.

CarpetElf likes this.
  24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

25th Hour might be my number 2 Spike.

CarpetElf likes this.
  25. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Multiple Marvel threads got bumped to mourn Chadwick Boseman (which, fair; I loved his Black Panther too), but also, he was great in this. Hope some people who slept on it check it out now. Though, his role being a deceased friend everyone misses is gonna hit different now.