Cymbals Eat Guitars Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nothingsforeverdude, Mar 6, 2016.

1. nfdv2 Mar 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 6, 2016)
    nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

Cymbals Eat Guitars is a band from Staten Island, NY founded by high school friends Joe D'Agostino and Matthew Miller. They've put out three of the most interesting/ambitious indie rock albums in recent years and have the objectively best name ever.

2. Nick

@fangclubb Supporter

funny story, I was kissing a guy after a date and he put on their latest album but I made him turn it off and put on Clarity @CoffeeEyes17

3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-Aggressive Supporter

this is the best post made on this website so far lol

Lenses Alien is something special

4. sponsor
  5. Sophos

Regular

this band might be the best in their lane

6. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

yeah i agree

Lenses and LOSE are both super meaningful to me and have influenced me both personally and musically. WTAM is really impressive too but for some reason doesn't hit me quite as hard as their later two

Jake Jenkins likes this.
  7. Sophos

Regular

yup yuuuup, those two records are near perfect and WTAM is just a stellar debut record that showed the potential they had

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  8. Sophos

Regular

its a stunning piece of work brother

9. nfdv2 Mar 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 15, 2016)
    nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

linking my long post about Lenses on AP because i want people to read it / listen to the album: Cymbals Eat Guitars - LOSE (Barsuk, 2014)

also my mom loves this band (her fav song is chambers) and went with me to see them once haha

10. Sophos

Regular

the best album

11. CoffeeEyes17

You'll be proud of me, I've convinced 3 of my coworkers to check out Lenses Alien today and they really liked it. It's become my favorite Cymbals record for sure, quite the masterpiece.

12. TheVandyMan

#FreeBrenden Prestigious

As much as there is to love about this band, I think my favorite thing about them is how literary their lyrics are.

13. CoffeeEyes17

Yep. Love how densly entrenched in literature the lyrics are. Reminds me a lot of The Menzingers or Gatsbys American Dream in that regard.

14. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

think Joe was a literature major in college

15. CoffeeEyes17

It shows. I love that stuff.

16. Aaron Mook

GLOW // @moscowghoul Moderator

LOSE is amazing and looking back is my second favorite album of 2014. Can't wait for the follow-up. I still need to listen to Lenses Alien...

17. nohandstoholdonto

Audrey||she/her||mineral girls Supporter

LOSE had such a profound impact on me last summer and I absolutely can't wait for whatever they do next.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  18. jordalsh

jordalsh.wordpress.com Supporter

this band is everything. Aerobed has me psyched for new tunes

19. CoffeeEyes17

Hey fam

Lenses Alien is a masterpiece that's all I have to say

20. suburban myth

Rock-n-Roll Pizzeria Prestigious

Definitely their best record - from that first guitar riff straight to those first few lines of lyrics it was instantly unlike anything I'd ever heard before.

21. jordalsh

jordalsh.wordpress.com Supporter

WARNING I AM SOME KIND OF HANDFUL

the jam of all jams imo

22. suburban myth

Rock-n-Roll Pizzeria Prestigious

I think Place Names & Laramie are the tops from the album. Place names is just weirdly insane.

23. CoffeeEyes17

A positive sobriety birthday
    A FIFTH REMISSION ANNIVERSARY

Maybe my favorite lyric aside from the end of Gary Condit

24. Aaron Mook

GLOW // @moscowghoul Moderator

actually listening to the lyrics of "xlr" hit me like nothing else, such a fucking jam

"warning" and "chambers" are excellent singles and "child bride," fuck

what a band/album

25. CoffeeEyes17

I'll never forget the first time I heard "2 Hip Soul" and my jaw hit the floor as I flashbacked to high school where one of my friends in a drunk stupor fell into a bonfire while our graduating class was at the beach celebrating. I got chills.

26. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

child bride meant a lot a lot a lot to me in 2014. still does now but finding that song (and album) a few months after finding the sunset tree and listening to Home for the first time was eerily fitting and completed a chapter of music discovery in my life

my favorites on LOSE are child bride, place names, chambers, and lifenet. i used to love jackson a lot but i played it a little too much.

don't think this band has a definite best album bc all their stuff is so solid and uniquely interesting, but Lenses means the most to me right now, followed by LOSE

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.