Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cursive Band • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Gooddayz

always and forever

Alrighty I finally gave The Ugly Organ a couple spins. It's was definitely interesting the first go round. I was caught a bit off guard with what seemed as a lack of guitars and addition to horns and such, but as the album progressed it all started to make sense.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

it's not really lacking in guitars, but the aggressive cello and the sometimes atonal riffs do make it seem like that sometimes, it's sort of otherworldly. what'd you think of burst and bloom? it's that midpoint between ugly organ and their older stuff

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. Gooddayz

always and forever

Oh it's good even though it starts off with the best song haha. It makes perfect sense though being that midpoint, you can hear them incorporating elements that are shown off big time in TUO

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah, sink to the beat is immense, but it doesn't really work anywhere else in that tracklisting lol. the first verse lyrics effectively lock it in where it is but that's okay, the other songs are still cool

Gooddayz and airik625 like this.
  5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

that ranking is so weird but i love it. a lot of my favorite artists have now one the "Rank Your Records" thing for Noisey and I think Cursive and Against Me have had the most interesting ones just in terms of how brutally honest they are and how they view their own catalogs. Like, no offense to Thursday/mwY/Circa Survive/MCS/Say Anything but their rankings seemed more.....obvious I guess. Its cool to get that insight into how these bands view their own material especially given the passage of time

chewbacca110 likes this.
  6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

this. the Cursive one is probably the most interesting one, feel like the Thursday one is really reflective of the fan reception, almost too much so given how positive he was about some of the non fan favorite ones. The mwY one is still an interesting read given how self critical they are of each other.

7. CoffeeEyes17

yeah seems like Geoff views CE in a negative light mostly because of the things that occured around that record cycle and less because he doesnt like the songs.

Tim seems to very much love the music he makes and its cool that he basically took this rank your records opportunity to say "hey you should check out some of our other less well known albums!"

8. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

9. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Want more Gemini-esque prog riffs. Please and thank you.

Carrow likes this.
  11. chewbacca110

Also, that's not Cully on drums. He killed it on the last few records. :concerned:

NationalPhenomenon likes this.
  12. he really did. wonder who their new drummer is?

13. CoffeeEyes17

WHO WHAT

beachdude42 likes this.
  14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm dead omg I get to be a fan of this band while they release a record!!!

airik625 likes this.
  15. Gooddayz

always and forever

I love Domestica so much. Would have been my AOTY if it came out last year lol. I still gotta dip into more of their discography, but this is some exciting news!

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  16. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Yes!!!

airik625 likes this.
  17. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I still remember when you sent me those b-aides/bonus tracks for Mama, I’m Swollen. Thanks again for that haha. I still listen all to them all the time.

TheBaroness likes this.
  18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

YO how fucking AWESOME is I Am Gemini?? goddamn, this shit slaps

chewbacca110 and Ken like this.
  19. chewbacca110

I Am Gemini is for sure in my top 3 Cursive albums. I love the more prog/math-y approach to the song structures.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

god yes the riff in twin dragons is fucking destroying me rn i love this album. Cursive's discog is so fucking solid it's actually unfair to other bands. it's really kind of them to have taken six years between albums to give other bands the opportunity to step the fuck up in the meantime

Zac Djamoos and Ken like this.
  21. chewbacca110

Holy shit, I guess it really has been 6 years since IAG. I know they posted they're recording. Can't wait until we get some new tunes!

EmmanuelSCastle and Ken like this.
  22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah, im excited for it and i kind of hope they keep on in the Gemini direction but i know it will be a reinvention and that I will love that too

I've found with all of Tim's albums that even the ones I don't necessarily love when I first hear them, they've all inevitably grown to be music i hold in high esteem. That's why I've gone through all of his projects so slowly, I've probably spent about a year with just Black Out and Noveena alone

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

also when their last album came out i was probably 15 lol

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Tim is seriously one of my favorite songwriters ever

25. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

cursive love :heart: I'm ready for new material

EmmanuelSCastle and chewbacca110 like this.