Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cursive Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 7, 2016.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Sink To The Beat, Big Bang, A Gentleman Caller, Some Red-Handed Sleight Of Hand, Wowowowow, The Casualty, The Road To Financial Stability.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Gonna second Sink to the Beat but I'll be back with a more thorough list. They have a lot of aggressive moments but heavy is not as often I feel. Hm.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

The Butcher wouldve been my pick but yeah Sink is probably the better answer.

theyre such a dynamic band. im in a Cursive mood and i love how many styles they can incorporate into their songs

chewbacca110 likes this.
  4. chewbacca110

The bridges to both SInk To The Beat and The Road To FInancial Stability sound like the end of the world and I love it.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  5. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

That scream in The Martyr

6. CoffeeEyes17

Road is a really really good underrated pick and im glad you brought it up because yeah, its straight up metalcore at times and i love it.

i do this thing sometimes where i just hit "shuffle" on a bands entire catalog and just let it pay while i play a game or read or something, so today Cursive was the pick. Bad Sects, The Butcher, We're Going To Hell, Harold Weathervein, and Twin Dragon came on back to back and i caught myself thinking "its wild to think all of those songs were made by the same band" just because of how different they all are

chewbacca110 likes this.
  7. CoffeeEyes17

i know we all already know this but Tim is underrated af as a lyricist and i think he did the whole "using an album to exorcise my demons and put on vivid display all of my faults and begin the process of atoning for my mistakes" thing on TUO better than any other frontman from the scene (sorry Max still love IARB) and I just love how fucking meta and cynical he is.

Ken and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  8. chewbacca110

I see Tim and Cursive any time I can and it's always a great show. I was super fortunate when Tim lived in Chicago for a few years because they played here like 3 times a year.

EmmanuelSCastle and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  9. wearethedead

missing out

If the question was "most emotional" song, I'd say "After the movies". That song means so much to me for a lot of reasons, but aside from that it's such a damn great song.

CoffeeEyes17 and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Okay yeah the martyr actually has a good claim to a heavy ass song. The entirety of Domestica has varying degrees of claim to their heaviest damn

11. wearethedead

missing out

that album drains me, but in a good and healthy way. it's just super cathartic and expressive, and the guitar parts are a m a z i n g

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

yeah heavy either musically and/or emotionally. trying to get a friend into Cursive so i figured id tailor a playlist to his sensibilities since she loves heavier music and darker, post hardcore emotional style bands.

EmmanuelSCastle and wearethedead like this.
  13. wearethedead

missing out

i think cursive are a kinda tough band to playlist because almost every album is a very different style. that's partly why i love them though. mama i'm swollen is such an underrated album.

EmmanuelSCastle and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  14. CoffeeEyes17

definitly. like ive been following this band since like 2005 so im cool with all the different styles and taking songs out of the context of their concept albums and just enjoying them but im sure its overwhelming for a new listener. for reference, my friend digs Circa Survive and AFI a lot so i told her that if these individual songs dont click just give a full album a listen. so far shes digging what i sent her.

YES mama im swollen is real underrated and has some great guitar work

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Omfg mama I'm swollen is so fucking good.....the streamlined quality of it is one of it's appeals to me. From the Hips is one of their best songs I will die on that hill

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Timely and relevant, four Cursive songs have played at this friendsgiving gathering I'm at, and also like three Thursday songs (all from Waiting) and I'm in love w it all

Ken and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  17. Mattww

Regular

Heavy musically and lyrically for me is ‘excerpts from various notes strewn across....’ such great ebb and flow and anger

18. chewbacca110

19. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I still haven't heard the first 2 records but I will be changing that very soon.

EmmanuelSCastle and Ken like this.
  20. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I just picked them up on vinyl. They're wonderful.

Colin Your Enthusiasm likes this.
  21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm real excited to dig into that. I'll be back to whine about something stupid probably that's what rankings all about right

22. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

That’s a very very surprising ranking
    When summers over from semantics of song is their best track imo

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  23. chewbacca110

I want Tim to write a book. I find his views and opinions fascinating, so that article is really entertaining.

Happy Hollow is my #1 for the exact reasons he states why fans like it so much.

24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That was really weird but like that's what I wish most of the rank your records were. Like, when it's a foregone conclusion that the fan favorite is their favorite too it's just kind of a thing you accept, but I really like hearing the reasoning here. I almost wish they threw in the burst and bloom EP to see where it ranked. It was cool to see he liked mama it's swollen for basically the same reasons I do. Weird that he thinks Happy Hollow is poppy? Not sure I get that. I do agree that the sort of brightness to it can be a bit off-putting, my only real gripe with it.

Ken likes this.
  25. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Happy Hollow without a doubt my #1. Though I do have to say I never expected The Ugly Organ to be topped after it was released. Mama, I'm Swollen doesn't get enough love either, I don't think.