Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cursive Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The Storms of Early Summer: Semantics of Song is also incredible.

TheBaroness and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

the biggest crime those earlier releases commit is that they just cant beat what followed. Theyre still well written, mature, surprisingly decently produced albums I just prefer pretty much everything from Domestica onward.

That said they have some top tier tracks a la When Summers Over

Ken and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That one's coming up next! Probably later in the day though. Excited to have more stuff from them to listen to, I guess this sort of completes the Cursive narrative for myself up to the present.

Ken likes this.
  4. CoffeeEyes17

Emmanuel I am disappointed that u are just now listening to these albums first of all HOW DARE YOU second of all you are blocked until you have finished listening to them and third i am just kidding ily glad youre enjoying them theyre underrated af

Cursive is one of those bands that has a large body of work that is simply eclipsed by a monumental release. its a shame that Cursives back-catalog is often forgotten mostly due to how incredible and transcendent TUO and Domestica were/are. Its been cool seeing people kind of go back and give Happy Hollow, Mama, and Gemini another listen because theyre really really good

EmmanuelSCastle and Ken like this.
  5. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Everything they've done has been phenomenal. I never can decide if I like The Ugly Organ or Domestica better. Then I remember, oh yeah, Burst and Bloom is my favorite release by them. It's like the perfect combination of the the varied sounds of those albums.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

For sure, I think the quality is such though that while it doesn't beat the later stuff, it can stand with them and still be rewarding and engaging listens (speaking specifically of the debut). That's really impressive. also I think I better appreciate domestica in the wake of this one bc now it's snapped into focus and I can see the path they took getting there. It's really cool, I'd love to feel the way about Domestica as I do about tuo

CoffeeEyes17 and Ken like this.
  7. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I know I honestly fucked up and I really have no excuse except that I gravitate to fucking up
    Gemini is probably the one I've spent the least amount of time with but I don't understand the seemingly bad reception it gets. I understand maybe if you wanted another Sonic shift from them but idk. That's not really realistic to expect from them time and time again

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  8. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Honestly, as someone who considers Domestica their best (and one of the most influential guitar albums in my life), I’ve spent very little time with their first two records. Gotta change that.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Audrey did you check out Fugazi after my spiel about them in this thread?

10. nohandstoholdonto

:zip:

I promise I will get to it some day
    although, semi-related to Fugazi, this is one of the best songs I’ve ever heard (and was very influential to me during the writing of our record):

TheBaroness likes this.
  11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Q and not U RULES though I've only listened to the first one. I can see the influence I think, probably wouldn't have picked it out myself as specifically q and not u though

12. nohandstoholdonto

Tbh I’m a bad fan bc I only listened to that first album through once, but I’ve listened to that song individually like a hundred times in the past year. That was one of the songs we sent the producer for a reference.

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Worked out for yr album for sure lol. I was a bad cursive fan til today. I'm a bad fan of a lot of stuff

14. Gooddayz

always and forever

My only exposure to Cursive was when I saw them open for Minus The Bear about five years ago and Burst and Bloom (Sink is amazing). Don't know why I never bothered to listen to anything else, but I decided to give Domestica a listen. Wow what an album! Connected with it immediately. I'm excited to get more into this band. Gonna hit up The Ugly Organ next! Should I listen to the regular album or is the deluxe edition worth checking out?

EmmanuelSCastle and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  15. CoffeeEyes17

cant go wrong either way. the deluxe version just adds on songs from TUO sessions and around that time. they could feasibly fit into the concept of the album but the original version is perfect as is.

airik625 and Gooddayz like this.
  16. Gooddayz

always and forever

Gotcha! I'll stick with the original first then.

airik625 likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

how'd you like it?

18. Gooddayz

always and forever

Still haven't gotten to it yet. I've been chewing on Domestica still

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Gotcha, not a bad idea. Domestica is still growing on me despite me not loving it quite as much as TUO

20. Gooddayz

always and forever

Yeah there's something about the album that keeps drawing me back. The instrumentation, vocals, production, it just all meshes so well for me. I've been listening to it a couple times every week. I'm really looking forward to see how they evolve in TUO though

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

You listened to Burst and Bloom right? Since it's an EP, you should add that to the rotation so you can further map out the subtler differences when you get to TUO

22. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Burst & Bloom is one of my favorite EPs released. Incredible collection of tracks.

Ken likes this.
  23. Gooddayz

always and forever

Alright next time I put on Domestica I'm gonna go straight to Burst & Bloom and then TUO. One two three punch B-)

CoffeeEyes17 and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This is an extremely positive decision, I commend you for living your best life

Gooddayz, airik625 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  25. CoffeeEyes17

whats the heaviest most aggressive Cursive song, go