Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cursive Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 7, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Burst & Bloom is one of my favorite EPs.

wearethedead and Ken like this.
  2. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Fuck yeah

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

BURST AND BLOOM is nearly PERFECT front to back, its only sin is that sink to the beat is the first song because it's also the best song

Gooddayz and wearethedead like this.
  4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Also From the Hips, one of their best songs though I've probably listened to it acoustic more than I have on album

airik625 likes this.
  5. wearethedead

missing out

My favourite on Burst and Bloom is Fairytales Tell Tales. It means a lot to me personally, but musically it's just incredible. The bassline during the "Please don't be a stranger to me" part just fits so well. That said, every song on that EP is great and I would rank it easily among their best albums, despite it only being an EP.

Ken likes this.
  6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

When summer's over is my favorite cursive song

wearethedead, Ken and TheBaroness like this.
  7. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Burst and Bloom is amazing. That was such a great creative period for the band and Kasher personally as well with the first (and imo best) Good Life record dropping right around that time as well.

Ken and airik625 like this.
  8. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

im just digging back into Cursive dont mind me wheres @EmmanuelSCastle at

i forget just how much goth rock is in Cursives musical DNA. The Cure and Siouxsie And The Banshees are all over their catalog, the moodiness of the former and the aggression of the latter.

EmmanuelSCastle and beachdude42 like this.
  9. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Not gonna lie this band is a little difficult for me right now because my ex who I just broke up with got me into them and I've grown to love them... ugh.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  10. CoffeeEyes17

:heart: im sorry i know it sucks but its going to be ok probably

airik625 and beachdude42 like this.
  11. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Fuck I just realized I posted about my breakup in more than one thread in like the last hour lmao... I'm a bit of a mess hahaha

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

did someone say CURSIVE

Good timing irt the Cure comparison, I've been thinking a lot lately how Tim's latest solo release has reminded me of the mood and atmospheric parts of the Cure, would really love to see Cursive try their hand at more textures like that. I think because Thursday was so successful at incorporating it into their sound that that's something I'd love to see more Cure influenced bands do. Which isn't to say Cursive is devoid of such things, but I'm thinking something less brash and more dreamy

I hope it all ends up okay soon! This band and their music will be around whenever you'd like to pick them back up, so no need to force it. Yr feelings and their recovery are more important

13. CoffeeEyes17

yeah id love Cursives take on ND. I think bands like Thursday, Deftones, and even Circa Survive take their Cure influence very seriously and wear it openly whereas Cursive is more influenced lyrically by The Cure although TUO and HH have some moodier tracks.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh yeah, Harold Weathervein off the top of my head does mood really well. Something else I think Cursive takes from the Cure: Robert Smith's weird vocal melodies. It seems like the wordier bands seem to favor those kind of melodies, not sure what it is about them, besides that you can clip and stretch them and it doesn't seem as jarring whichever way you take it. Would love a Cursive album with some more synth influence too like the more poppy Cure songs

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  15. CoffeeEyes17

yeah id like to see them do some poppy Cure stuff a la Anberlin. Would be neat

Hell at this point is Cursive even still a thing?

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i think the only thing that points that they might not be is inactivity, but feel like inactivity is not necessarily indicative of any troubles or anything. seems like a fairly common thing for older bands to take longer times in between album cycles when they no longer have to fight for attention. and if anything, i'd say that they cared enough to start their own record label and get access to their saddle creek albums says that they plan on continuing at their own pace. Anything Tim said about Cursive in the last couple of years has been in the present tense too.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  17. CoffeeEyes17

yeah that makes sense. Tim, like many other frontpersons from our scene, seems to have his hand in a lot of different projects so I guess for now he wants to focus on TGL/solo stuff and maybe revive Cursive in a couple years or so. I really enjoy Mama, I'm Swollen and I Am Gemini so I hope to see a follow up to those records.

did you ever listen to The Difference Between Houses And Homes? some neat tracks hidden in there. plus the TUO b-sides that have been floating around for years

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Cursive's post TUO work is underrated af imo, Mama, I'm Swollen is so good. Love how streamlined it is.

I had The Difference Between Houses and Homes on my iPod for the longest, but then when I didn't really listen to anything pre Domestica and I also just needed space, I figured I'd delete it...guessing this was a mistake on my part? I'll go back and check it out. As for TUO b sides, Nonsense should've most definitely been on the album proper imo, glad they saved that one when the reissue happened

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  19. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Been listening to Domestica a good bit lately and I always take for granted just how much that album influences my guitar playing.

Ken, CoffeeEyes17 and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

jw, do you listen to fugazi at all? for the longest time, my hurdle into getting into Domestica was how much it sounded like Fugazi, but it ended up clicking one day, though it still didn't overtake Ugly Organ for me

21. CoffeeEyes17

yeah the post TUO stuff is varying degrees of great. that compilation is actually really good, especially if you like the Domestica/Early Summer stuff

yeah Nonsense shouldve been on the album and maybe Sinners Serenade

22. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Honestly, I haven't given Fugazi a real listen outside of maybe a song or two. They're a band I've meant to try and get into for a while but just haven't set aside the time to listen through their discography.

TUO is a wonderful record, and I can understand why people hold it so highly and prefer it to Domestica, but for some reason Domestica just clicks with me more than TUO does.

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I have to admit, there was a little while where I had a sort of Chris Conley situation with Tim's voice post TUO; i just felt like it sounded considerably different to me on Happy Hollow and onwards. I'm not sure what exactly about it was weird to me, just that it was off. Took me a bit to appreciate it again. I'll definitely check out the comp, i've also been meaning to check out Songs of Early Summer and the other full length. I remember someone in the thread recommended it a while back. How do you feel about that stuff?
    omg omg. okay, if you do nothing else, def check out Repeater, Red Medicine, and the Argument if you're looking to try out full albums. Repeater is probably my least fave, but it sounds closest to Domestica of the three I mentioned. The other two are a little more on the experimental side of things. They're a band that I definitely recommend going through their discog in order. They've got a great arc, starting with 13 Songs, but if I had to distill it into three albums, those are the ones i would choose. I love TUO, but in no universe is sounding like Fugazi a bad thing. guitar playing aside, that band might have one of the best rhythm sections of the 90s, let alone all of post hardcore.

am i laying it on thick? good

24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Posted this in the No Resolution album thread but for those of you who aren't subbed to that one and might be interested, here's a teaser to the accompanying film that Tim wrote and directed

25. EmmanuelSCastle Oct 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 9, 2017)
    EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Going back to Cursive's pre Domestica full lengths and goddamn such blinding stars for starving eyes is really good? This could potentially be among their best. It doesn't touch Ugly Organ or Burst and Bloom but I think it can stand with Domestica at least. This is super raw damn

CoffeeEyes17, Ken and wearethedead like this.