Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cursive Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 7, 2016.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

big thief is the shit

this song wrecks me

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that's a cool song, reminds me a bit texturally of the Japanese Breakfast record that came out this year

3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I think Cursive and Rilo Kiley have been lumped in with our scene because of who they toured with and just their general aesthetics.

Also Cursive and Rilo Kiley are miles better than Bright Eyes

airik625 likes this.
  4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Idk if I agree cause I think they're all pretty great in different ways, but Cursive is definitely my favorite of those three

sorry not sorry the best saddle creek band is, as of last year, Hop Along

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  5. wearethedead

missing out

That Desa album was actually on Epitaph :)

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

you're right, im an idiot. like, i definitely knew that because it was kind of surprising at the time, but im still in the habit of "Oberst = Saddle Creek." Anyway, thank you for the correction

7. I Am Gemini and Mama, I'm Swollen are underrated as fuck. In particular the former, barely saw any chat about it when it was released. Math-rock concept album about polar-opposite twins separated at birth? Fuck yes.

8. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I Am Gemini I didn't like at all. It's really the only Cursive album I didn't like. Mama, I'm Swollen is fantastic. I'm sure I've mentioned it in this thread before, but the bonus tracks and demos for Mama, are incredible.

9. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Gemini is THE SHIT. Musically it's in my Top 3 Kasher albums.

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Are there any cool sessions of Cursive doing stripped down versions of their songs? Or any especially cool live videos? I see a few here and there, but in general it seems like they're not really that kind of band that gets heavily documented.

11. airik625

Yeah I've got a few love sessions. Let me see what all I have and I'll let you know.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

thanks!

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

TheBaroness, DejaMoi and airik625 like this.
  14. airik625

The new Tim Kasher single is pretty great. Very much looking forward to the new record. However, it doesn't feel right with it not being released on Saddle Creek.

15. airik625

Cursive has two daytrotter sessions out which are great. They also have a Spin TV Acoustic Session which is worth checkingn out.

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Yeah, it always strikes me as weird when a Saddle Creek associated musician isn't on Saddle Creek anymore. And it's also strange that Cursive's whole catalog is on the new label, so I wonder if this is a permanent thing or if they're testing the waters for a corelease or something.

thanks a lot, I'll be sure to check all of that out. Found a few acoustic sessions for From the Hips, so I've gotten really familiar with a bunch of arrangements for that one particular song lol

17. airik625

There are demos for I Couldn't Love You, What Have I Done?, and In The Now that are all great.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

just a reminder that TUO is cream of the crop from that early/mid 2000s scene heyday and you should all listen to it at some point this week.

Tim Kasher is a perpetually underrated songwriter in our scene. Hes about as good of a lyricist and writer as, say, Geoff Rickley or Keith Buckley which are some of my other personal favorites. Even the post TUO material, while not quite as good, is still pretty fantastic.

19. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Yeah Ugly Organ is fantastic. Hard to find a better emo record from the mid 2000s I agree.

airik625 and bradsonemanband like this.
  20. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

been binging it lately so this is a timely bump.

its a goat tier album. it takes me back to things ill never feel again

21. Oh yes

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Such a great way to describe the nostalgia of that era. No matter how old I get I never forget those brooding, thoughtful 3 AM listens of Cursive or The Early November or Thursday and it makes me get a hankering for that music style every now and then, even though I hardly put it on my regular rotation anymore.

beachdude42 and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  23. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

My girlfriend got me into Tim's music, forever grateful for that (among other things obviously haha)

airik625 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Tim and Geoff have become some of my favorite songwriters of all time this year, partially as a result of this thread/community. There's a thoughtful and deliberate quality to each of their methods that is just incredible, where you can hear what they love but not so much it's derivative. Idk

I was not really a fully formed human in the mid 2000s (I would've been like six when this came out) but I feel like I can understand what you mean by that and if I don't, you at least stated it very poignantly

bedwettingcosmo and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  25. wearethedead

missing out

I've been really into them lately, I think their pre-Domestica work is my favourite, with Such Blinding Stars... being one of my all time favourite albums. That said, I love all of their music. Mama, I'm Swollen, while probably their most subtle album, is also criminally underrated. Oh and the Burst and Bloom EP is incredible.

TheBaroness likes this.