Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cursive Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Went through a huge Tim Kasher phase a couple years back. First two good life albums are among his best and the two solo records are fantastic. TUO has lots of my favorite lyrics. HH uses horns so well

Aaron Mook and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  2. milogoestoprison

I love all their albums through Happy Hollow, didn't like Mama at all, liked I Am Gemini when it came out but haven't listened much since. At one point I might have said Domestica was my favorite, but i've long been Team Ugly Organ. It would make my desert island list.

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Cursive makes me wish Saddle Creek was like super active and clique like again so I could get a Cursive song ft Frances from Hop Along or vice versa. so sick, come on. Or another Desa album next decade ft Tim. I am so sorry I was late to Cursive but like sorry to myself

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I listened to Burst and Bloom for the first time today, didn't blow me away but that's okay. Domestica is coming up soon, and then maybe that b sides collection or Happy Hollow, haven't decided which

5. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

changed my avi because its the best album ever!!!!!!

6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Tru tho

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  7. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

pretty much

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  8. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

14 year old me was so happy when that record came out. Still remember going to Best Buy to buy the CD.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I was listening to the Ugly Organ today, considered that there maybe aren't a lot of other records that have riffs that strike this precarious of a balance between atonal and catchy/sick as hell. It's fucked up how well it dances on that line tbh

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  10. bedwettingcosmo

the only song i listen to on thanksgiving.

CoffeeEyes17 and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

is that on a 7" or one of the later albums? cool song

12. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

My girlfriend recently told me to check out Ugly Organ... really good album!! Gonna check out more by these guys soon.

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

The Ugly Organ deserves maybe more love than it gets. Not that it gets none, but I mean MORE it's an album that I feel can appeal to many different kinds of tastes as long as the center of the venn diagram is like dark guitar music with intelligent lyrics. Lyrically, this kind of album is brimming with that stereotypical indie rock irony tempered by undercurrent of sincerity. Lots of balancing acts on this album

14. airik625

Such a great track.
    I think it was just released as a single digitally.
    You mean you're just now listening to Cursive? Welcome aboard! Listen to Happy Hollow next!

beachdude42 likes this.
  15. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Haha yep! Better late than never :)

16. bedwettingcosmo

it was released as a digital one off in 2010

17. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

The Ugly Organ is potentially the best album to come from this scene

airik625 likes this.
  18. bedwettingcosmo

epic cello

our father who art in heaven
    send me from the wreck im about to drown in
    to deny i learned anything
    counting out my sins on rosary beads

Zac Djamoos and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that reminds me, how come Saddle Creek bands are kind of both of the scene and apart? Like, historically the way someone will review or write up a Saddle Creek band is a lot different than how a band from this scene but not affiliated with them gets written about. It's almost like a lot more is expected of Saddle Creek bands and if that expectation is not met, then the album in question might get torn the fuck apart, more so than any other diy thing. It might be in my head, but that's kind of what it feels like when talking about Bright Eyes or Cursive or Desaparecidos or Rilo Kiley or the Good Life etc etc.

20. bedwettingcosmo

you are probably right when talking about early 2000's . that label has been slumping hard in this decade imo

21. bedwettingcosmo

ugly organ is one of the albums i can count on one hand that i would get a tattoo for

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I mean, reviews of anything Conor Oberst related, positive or negative, got pretty vicious at times, but even in present day sometimes people will really go in on shitting on post Wide Awake Bright Eyes or Post Ugly Organ Cursive. Like, I gave Digital Ash a pretty wide berth for a while until I talked about it on this forum (people here tend to be pretty wide spread in opinions but also tolerant of differing ones which is cool) and i liked that, definitely did not deserve a lot of the hate I saw slung its way. But also yeah, they're pretty inactive in general atm aren't they? I know of like three or four new releases in the last couple of years -- Hop Along, The Good Life, Big Thief, and I think a solo artist's album?

23. bedwettingcosmo

they just signed a band from my city, but i haven't really listened to much from them. conor has always been a polarizing figure but whatever, he's god.

24. airik625

I still need to check out Big Thief.

25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh they've had quite a few releases in the last couple of years actually, forgot about the Thermals, and I thought the new Desa was earlier than it was, and i forgot to check out the mynabirds. I am not sure if I really wanna count the Bright Eyes box set since it's not new technically
    also same on Big Thief