Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Culture Abuse - Bay Dream (June 15, 2018) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Apr 3, 2018.

1. seen a “fuck culture abuse” tweet pop up on my timeline and realized that none of this ever gained traction and was ignored by the band completely.

Bullshit

2. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

3. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

welp fuck

4. abusedcat Jul 23, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 23, 2020)
    abusedcat

Long Gone Before Daylight Prestigious

5. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Well we’ve been saying it for a year, but fuck that. Extremely gross behavior.

6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Holy shit. I heard he did something dodgy but it was during my year away from this site. Honestly that sounds pretty horrific. Good on them for breaking up and separating from him, but surely they must have known? Feels like they are trying to plead ignorance.

7. Windowsdown

I heard / read a bunch of other stuff on twitter that I can't confirm (using his disability to manipulate people in various ways).

I have also personally witnessed two incidents (not related to sexual assault at all) that made us think (me, my friends and various people I know in my local scene) he was a shitty person.

At two separate shows in Paris (one with Basement + Muncie Girls at La Maroquinerie in january of 2019 and one with Big Cheese + SSS last summer at Le Gibus) he stumbled on stage with a bottle of red wine and basically threw equipment at people with all of his strength.

At the Basement show, it was a mic stand and it could have severely fucked up someone. It missed the first few rows by a few centimeters.

At the second show, it was the mic itself. He slammed the venue's mic on the stage a bunch of times and, when he found out it was not working anymore, threw it as hard as he could in the crowd. Again, thankfully, it ended up on the floor, but If you've ever handled a microphone you know that it's quite heavy too.

I like hectic shows, I mosh for hardcore bands etc. and understand that there's a part of danger associated with going to shows, but being that careless is a no-no for me. After finding out that he treats women like garbage too, I'm glad this band is done.

8. bedwettingcosmo

the one show i saw them, he took a drink of something and spit it all over the crowd.

9. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

This is all SO shitty and fucked up. Definitely the band I loved the most out of all these recent allegations. What is fucking wrong with this scene? This culture? How do we keep on doing this? We literally have to start from scratch and build communities on the grounds of mutual respect and building up the marginalized and respecting boundaries and just being a decent fucking person.

All of the recent survivors that have come out to speak are incredibly brave and hopefully this helps them heal + cuts this problematic scene off at its root and allows us to build something better for everyone.

10. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i feel like in the right context something like this isn't bothersome. i guess you have to earn that type of behavior over time though (earn prolly isn't the perfect choice of word). maybe a controversial take, but if i were on the floor at, say, a jesus lizard or daughters show and that happened, it would add to the experience.

cherrywaves and bedwettingcosmo like this.
  11. bedwettingcosmo

fair take. guess it just feels weird now in the context of where were at.

12. cherrywaves Jul 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2020)
    cherrywaves

Trusted

Yeah idk that sort of feels like a confirmation bias thing, looking for things that could have been clues that he was a shitty dude. Not trying to get spit on though lol

bedwettingcosmo and SamLevi11 like this.
  13. Windowsdown

I agree that spitting at people (pre-Covid OFC) can be OK if it's i) earned and ii) if it fits the context of the show.

Deliberately throwing equipment at people while being drunk af qualifies as shitty behaviour and not as "punk rock stage move" though, and I'm sure he did that a bunch of other times. But whatever, he's canceled, and deservedly so !