Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by ianebaldwin, Dec 27, 2017.

1. A cryptocurrency (or crypto currency) is a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange that uses cryptography to secure its transactions, to control the creation of additional units, and to verify the transfer of assets Cryptocurrencies are classified as a subset of digital currencies and are also classified as a subset of alternative currencies and virtual currencies.

Bitcoin, created in 2009, was the first decentralized cryptocurrency. Since then, numerous other cryptocurrencies have been created. These are frequently called altcoins, as a blend of bitcoin alternative. Bitcoin and its derivatives use decentralized control as opposed to centralized electronic money/central banking systems. The decentralized control is related to the use of bitcoin's blockchain transaction database in the role of a distributed ledger.

Cryptocurrency - Wikipedia

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Wish I had bought some years ago. Is it too late?

3. danielalee12

Regular

It is very volatile as an investment vehicle atm, so i personally wouldn't want to enter the market. Lot of people are bullish of the market overall, but also a lot of bears. It's up to you, but yet again, it is very volatile.

ianebaldwin and suicidesaints like this.
  4. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

I'm all about crypto lately. Wandered into it and made what I consider to be sick money considering the effort I put in and the time it took. Hoping to keep growing my investment over the coming year.

I do believe blockchain tech isn't going away ever and will continue to grow, but I also believe that like 90% of coins will be wiped out when the bubble bursts. So if you plan on getting into the market, do a shit ton of research first and make sure you believe in whatever you're investing in.

ianebaldwin likes this.
  5. I couldn't agree with you more.

6. Ram Rahim

The most recognized and trustworthy virtual music maker is Garageband. Users can solve all their problems regarding music making with Garageband for PC.

ianebaldwin likes this.
  7. stars143

Trusted

8. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

9. stars143

Trusted

10. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I think we could expect a surge of business fronted applications of blockchain technology, not necessarily related to cryptocurrency. I think Ethereum's smart contracts are currently under-utilized but they also scare me a bit since the tech is so new and I think it'll go through some tough growing pains before it matures into something really usable. It's worth keeping an eye on though.

As for crypto, I know a few people who tried playing "catch-up" with it and lost miserably (not surprised), I would 100% not invest in this right now.

11. stars143

Trusted