Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Crying - Beyond the Fleeting Gales (October 14, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Aug 24, 2016.

1. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

This album warms my soul, an instant classic.

KidLightning likes this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

there was a door is one of the best songs of the year almost definitely

matthaber and KidLightning like this.
  3. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

omg the melodies in "patriot"

4. tacobelle

5. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Subbing, heard one track and loved it but didn't have time to listen in full

6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Can't get all of these out of my head

7. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

This album is crazy and I love it and I can't wait for this tour next week.

8. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Easily the most refreshing album I've heard this year - there's so much going on in the songs, it was almost overwhelming on first listen trying to process everything (especially when listening with in-ear monitors), but the melodies are so on point. Going to be an incredible summer album.

9. SayHello

Regular

I think this is my favorite record released in 2016 so far. I did not like their previous releases. However, this album is much more focused and the hooks are MASSIVE. It's so weird, I've never liked an album this much that was this intricate / nuanced / had so many bells and whistles to it, but it's just done SO well. Love it. Reminds me of the Hostage Calm S/T in many ways. When I was first exposed to that album way back in 2010, I thought it was super weird. It had a ton going on in it. This album is the same way, but like that Hostage Calm record, it works.

Another point, I love the album art. I view album art as the music itself, subjective. Personally, what determines good artwork is if it fits the vibe / aesthetic of the music well and this art does (in my opinion, anyway).

JRGComedy and tacobelle like this.
  10. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Sub

11. tacobelle Oct 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 16, 2016)
    tacobelle

QFT.

I've seen a fair share of malaise over the direction in the artwork, but like... the sound of 70's prog rock is clearly a huge influence on this record? The artwork is meant to look tacky in the way that this does, because it's meant to be aping those tame landscape pieces you'd see on a Yes/Gentle Giant/Rush record. When you take that into consideration and consider the humor of a move like that, I think they come off as one of the more intelligent acts of their contemporaries.

Side note: Should you be new to the sounds of Crying and wanna go deeper into the rabbit hole, I'd highly suggest you check out Elaiza's (the lead) side project, 100%. Musically, It's way more Phil Elverum than Phil Shulman, but lyrically it's pretty similar.

KidLightning and SayHello like this.
  12. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

so wait, a dude from LVL UP is in this band?

Also, this album is fucking ridiculous and I am all about it. what a year

SayHello likes this.
  13. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

This and Low Teens are definitely my favorites of the year so far.

14. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Every song feels like the opening credits to an anime

15. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

MY EXACT THOUGHT but I didn't say it because I figured people might laugh me out of the room. I fully agree

16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

In the emo thread I said it felt like indie pop in a blender with hair metal and an anime theme song and then deleted it for some reason but ya'll are not alone

OotyPa likes this.
  17. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I'm bold so I went for it, glad you're on board as well

18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Wow I am enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would? I liked the old chiptune stuff but i like this WAY better
    goes to show I could listen to and like a lot more music if I just put it on instead of making a big deal about sitting down and only listening to it or whatever

19. cwhit

i want this band to cover fat lip

teebs41 likes this.
  20. tacobelle

Ugh, I wish I could find it, but someone caught a show that Foxing played and Crying opened for, that featured the two covering Testify by RATM in the middle of the former's set. There was a clip, but it's since been hidden by a locked account or deleted altogether, but shit was sick.

21. cwhit

jeeeez
    i just want to see crying do a full nu metal cover set after hearing there was a door lol

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I have no idea how I should feel about this.

23. cherrywaves

Trusted

Saw them last night and it was cool but the vocalist sings so quietly at times, a little hard to hear

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

This album's pretty darn fun, only thing is I wish I could hear her voice a bit more, but overall it's good stuff

25. cwhit

better play there was a door tomorrow